Flesh Eating Bacteria?

Hes got one left, right?

OLYMPIA, Wash., Nov. 18 (UPI) – Washington state has agreed to pay $300,000 to an ex-prison inmate whose penis was consumed by a flesh-eating bacteria while he was behind bars.
Charlie Manning told The Seattle Times Monday he will have $115,000 left after paying attorney’s fees arising from his lawsuit and other bills. He expects to get the money this week.

“It’s been a nightmare,” Manning said. “I figured I should settle for what I could get because I just want it behind me. It’s unreal. It’s like something from Mars.”

Manning, 61, was serving a 13-month sentence for a drunken fight when he became ill. The prison doctor wrongly diagnosed his symptoms as an allergic reaction to medication. It turned out he had necrotizing fasciitis and the bacteria destroyed his penis and one testicle.

The Department of Corrections said the suit was settled because going to court would have been more expensive.

“While the end result was unfortunate and Mr. Manning’s original diagnosis turned out to be inaccurate, this was the result of a misdiagnosis, not the result of poor medical care,” officials said in a statement. “Not all medical judgments – whether performed in a prison or at a doctor’s office – are infallible.”

I don’t think he should have settled.

Who would trade their penis for $115,000?

[quote]Christine wrote:

Who would trade their penis for $115,000? [/quote]

A pre-op transexual?

[quote]Christine wrote:

Who would trade their penis for $115,000? [/quote]

There may be some governmental immunity involved that limits the damages he can recover. If there wasn’t any immunity, I sure as hell wouldn’t have settled.

Perhaps Biotest will come out with a new supplement to help guys grow an extra penis.

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
Christine wrote:

There may be some governmental immunity involved that limits the damages he can recover. If there wasn’t any immunity, I sure as hell wouldn’t have settled.

Perhaps Biotest will come out with a new supplement to help guys grow an extra penis.[/quote]

As an inmate, he probably didn’t think he would win. I agree though, my penis is worth a hell of a lot more than that. In fact, Bill Gates just bought a picture of it for twice that much.

Christine wrote:

Perhaps Biotest will come out with a new supplement to help guys grow an extra penis.[/quote]

I would stock up on that supplement.

Ya know, just in case.

Christine wrote:

Well, you know the old saying: two heads are better than one.

Christine wrote:

ErectorMax?

[quote]Stuntman Mike wrote:

Hes got one left, right?

OLYMPIA, Wash., Nov. 18 (UPI) – Washington state has agreed to pay $300,000 to an ex-prison inmate whose penis was consumed by a flesh-eating bacteria while he was behind bars.
Charlie Manning told The Seattle Times Monday he will have $115,000 left after paying attorney’s fees arising from his lawsuit and other bills. He expects to get the money this week.

“It’s been a nightmare,” Manning said. “I figured I should settle for what I could get because I just want it behind me. It’s unreal. It’s like something from Mars.”

Manning, 61, was serving a 13-month sentence for a drunken fight when he became ill. The prison doctor wrongly diagnosed his symptoms as an allergic reaction to medication. It turned out he had necrotizing fasciitis and the bacteria destroyed his penis and one testicle.

The Department of Corrections said the suit was settled because going to court would have been more expensive.

“While the end result was unfortunate and Mr. Manning’s original diagnosis turned out to be inaccurate, this was the result of a misdiagnosis, not the result of poor medical care,” officials said in a statement. “Not all medical judgments – whether performed in a prison or at a doctor’s office – are infallible.”

--------------[/quote]

And the correct diagnosis is Fournier’s gangrene, a mixed aerobic and anaerobic infection:

"Fournier gangrene is a urological emergency requiring intravenous antibiotics and debridement (surgical removal) of necrotic (dead) tissue. In addition to surgery and antibiotics, hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBO) is used and acts to inhibit the growth of and kill the anaerobic bacteria.[6] Despite such measures, the mortality rate overall is 40%, but 78% if sepsis is already present at the time of initial hospital admission.[4]
The most historically prominent sufferers from this condition may have been Herod the Great, and possibly the Roman emperor Galerius. "

40% die, and “thems that dies is the lucky ones…arrrghhh.”