T Nation

Flaxseeds Question

Alright… i searched this site and basically read that the actual flaxseed needs to be ground down to be absorbed by the body easier… Am i correct? If so what is the best way you found to grind it? Here is the Picture of what i purchased

Health food, vitamin, and organic stores has cold-milled flaxseed. It’s ground so that it’s much smaller than regular flaxseed and easier to add to your protein shakes and such. I would keep the receipt in case your store accepts refund/exchanges.

Pour about a cup in the blender, grind that shit up. Stir with a wooden spoon so you don’t fuck you blade up.

You can also do it in a coffee been grinder, or those little food grinders.

I buy the exact same shit. If you don’t grind them, they come out in your shit, and make you fart like a mofo.

Cold milled is the easy way to go. But the coffee grinder works great too. Enjoy.

I buy mine in bulk at a grocery food store. I buy the whole seeds for 99 cents a pound and then grind them up myself using a coffee grinder. I ground up about a cup a week and keep the ground stuff in the fridge. That’s probably the cheapest way to go about it. You can buy like a half pound of preground stuff at GNC for like $8, but it’s a waste of money when you can grind the stuff up yourself at home.

I’m pretty sure that same company sells milled flaxseeds as well/

I grind them with a coffee grinder.
I heard that’s better than the prepacked milled flaxseeds you can buy because you can’t store them long (not sure if this is true).

I buy whole and grind them up, I keep them in the freezer as you will get the most benefit when they are kept cold.

[quote]mike08042 wrote:
I buy whole and grind them up, I keep them in the freezer as you will get the most benefit when they are kept cold. [/quote]

And the unsaturated fats have a propensity to go rancid pretty easily. The meal is especially fragile because the protective hull is exposed.

I know Bob’s Red Mill brand makes a ground flaxseed that comes in an opaque white package similar to what the OP purchased. They also make a similar organic product. I would purchase either of those.

Although, if you don’t have a problem with them getting stuck in your teeth, chewing the seeds can take the edge off of hunger when you’re dieting.

[quote]El_Animal wrote:
I’m pretty sure that same company sells milled flaxseeds as well/[/quote]

yes, they do.

IIRC Berardi’s written (Gourmet Nurtition?) that you don’t want to keep too much of the ground/milled stuff on hand as it does tend to go rancid, especially when exposed to light (as mentioned before).

What I like to do is take a cup or two and grind it in the blender, toss it in some tupperware and keep it in the fridge. That way, I’ve got a week’s supply or so and it really doesn’t take long at all to prepare - two minutes at the absolute most, I can do it while waiting for my steak to fry.

Just make sure you put the top on your blender. Not that I know from personal experience…