T Nation

Flaxseed: Meal & Milled the Same?

I know i need to use Milled Flaxseed for the v-diet.

My first v-diet i used this flaxseeds:
http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Bounty-Direct-Cold-Milled-Organic/dp/B000PRPNI2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=grocery&qid=1204839620&sr=1-2

But i want to know if this flaxseed meal is the same or can be used on the v-diet:

Bob’s Red Mill Organic Golden Flaxseed Meal

https://www.bobsredmill.com/catalog/index.php?action=showdetails&product_ID=447

Those are much cheaper than the cold-milled i linked first.

Thanks…

CS actually recommends flax meal now for the v-diet because it’s more finely ground. That flax meal is fine to use.

I forget which article it is, because there are so many about the v-diet but he does state you can use flax meal.

I’ve tried the Bob’s Red Mill Flaxseed Meal.

I can’t stand it. I gagged every time.

Note: the way I use flaxseed is a little ‘different’ (I don’t mix it into my shakes).
I measure the 2 Tablespoons into a small, shot-sized tupperware container.
I then shoot it, all by its lonesome, like a shot of booze, and chase it with the shake.

I bought that one package of flax MEAL, and I tossed more than half of it.
Before then, and since, I use cold-milled flaxseed. It’s the only thing I buy from GNC anymore.
It has a not-unpleasant nutty flavor. I like it, which, I guess, is what allows me to use it the way I do, rather than incorporate it into a shake.

I can’t describe what flax meal tastes like, but it’s nasty.

I recommend going with the milled seed.

Thats the same brand im using right now on the v-diet, so I’d say go for it.

[quote]metalchick wrote:
Thats the same brand im using right now on the v-diet, so I’d say go for it.[/quote]

Can you tell me how is the taste with the shakes?

Normally i don’t care too much about taste, but since i will be eating this for 28 days, i am a little bit worried about Rykker comments.

flax meal and milled flax are the same thing…ground up flax seeds.

I don’t understand taking a shot of flax, seems completely pointless. Flax goes great mixed in cottage cheese, yogurt, berries, etc.

I buy the whole seeds in bulk and grind them up in a coffee grinder. Super cheap that way.

I just picked up some flax meal and chia seeds the other day. First time I made a shake with protein, frozen fruit, some milk, coffee, chia, and flax. It most the most disgusting thing I ever drank. I had to hold my nose and chug it. I blame it on the chia seeds.

I just made a shake w/ peanut butter, protein, flax, and a cup of milk and it wasn’t bad at all, I might even call it tasty. I think it would go pretty well with fruit and yogurt.

As for the chia seeds, pretty disgusting. I tried mixing them with water, and part of it dissolves into a goo and leaves a little hard center. You go to drink it and the hard pieces go all over your mouth. Strange taste too. I think I’m just going to start sprinkling them on salads.

[quote]bw1985 wrote:
flax meal and milled flax are the same thing…ground up flax seeds.

I don’t understand taking a shot of flax, seems completely pointless. Flax goes great mixed in cottage cheese, yogurt, berries, etc.[/quote]

Flax meal and milled flax are the same creature, but processed differently. Milled-flax is not ground as fine as flax meal.
There’s a big difference in texture and taste.

Beyond that, my post was specifically in reference to using flaxseed on the Velocity Diet (V-Diet), not a normal diet.

The V-Diet is predominantly a liquid diet spanning 28 days, with only four solid-food meals during that time (one per week), so there are very few opportunities to mix it into cottage cheese, yogurt, or berries, etc.

Can you tell me how is the taste with the shakes?

Normally i don’t care too much about taste, but since i will be eating this for 28 days, i am a little bit worried about Rykker comments.

[/quote]

Personally I don’t really taste the flax at all in the shakes. Its just the texture that might bother you, but I don’t think its too bad, and I hate weird textured foods.