Flax Seeds for Omega 3's and Fiber?

Hello All!

I’ve been using the Search function to find information on Flax Seeds. I’m trying to decide if it’s more economical/healthy to change

Supplementing with Fish Oil capsules (in the morning) and having a drink with with Metamucil (in the evening for extra fiber)

To:

Adding a couple tablespoons of Flax Seeds to my PWO shake. (which goes in the blender, so the seeds should get blended up a little in there)

From what I’ve read, the Flax Seeds (if blended) should provided some extra fiber, as well as(if blended) the Omega 3 that I’m getting from the Fish Oil

What do y’all think?

sure, but don’t replace the fish oil. I personally take flax, fish and borage oils for omega 3,6 & 9. I figure it’s one of the most important implements in my regimen.

This is ALWAYS a confusing point, UR…and one that I often have to keep straight in my OWN mind!

The most important of the Omega’s 3’s are EPA and DHA. Flax seeds provide the PRECURSOR for EPA and DHA (alpha linolenic acid) that can be CONVERTED to EPA/DHA…but that conversion is an extremely poor one…

Even if you are taking Flax Seeds…you still need to be taking Fish Oils in order to assure an adequate intake of EPA and DHA.

Mufasa

Thanks for all the replies!

So…it sounds like I should stick to the Fish Oils for the Omega’s, but what about the fiber part? I’m not sure I want to supplement with Metamucil for the rest of my days…

What do you think about using flax seeds that have been blended in a shake as a fiber source?

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
This is ALWAYS a confusing point, UR…and one that I often have to keep straight in my OWN mind!

The most important of the Omega’s 3’s are EPA and DHA. Flax seeds provide the PRECURSOR for EPA and DHA (alpha linolenic acid) that can be CONVERTED to EPA/DHA…but that conversion is an extremely poor one…

Even if you are taking Flax Seeds…you still need to be taking Fish Oils in order to assure an adequate intake of EPA and DHA.

Mufasa[/quote]

PWO shouldn’t include any fat, flax included.
I bought some milled flax seeds a few days ago; they taste pretty bad. What’s a good way to get them down?

It’s an excellent idea, UR!

Chris advocated using milled flax seeds in his shakes during the “Velocity Diet”…

JB also uses them in his “Super Shake” recipe…

They are a great source of fiber…

Mufasa

Flax seeds are a great source of fiber, yes. Include them in any protein shake other than your PWO drink.

I throw them on top of a salad. Or recently into a bulgar wheat pilaf recipe I concocted. I think in their whole seed form they are rather tasty.

throw the flax seeds in yogurt, preferably one with active bacterial cultures and sweetened with honey (and i don’t worry about low fat, i always go for the higher fat content)

for example, in the morning i eat two yogurts with flax seeds in them (make sure they are ground up otherwise you will not be able to digest it) along with two scoops of the new LowCarb Grow! with added greens+ powder and two servings of fruit. supplements are vit C 500mg, vit E 200mg, 1000mg glucosamine, 900mg chondroitin and 6 1000mg 30% fish oil caps. this would give me about 52g of protein, 20-25g of fat and anywhere from 60-100g of carbs depending on the fruit choice. also included would be quite a bit of fiber, both soluble and insoluble. borage oil would be a good addition, i’d say up to an equivalent amount to fish oil, so 6g