T Nation

Flax Seed Oil vs. Powder

Hey guys,

I just purchased a container of Vitamin Shoppe Brand ‘Vita-Flax Organic Flax Seed Powder’ to use in my chanko meal regimen. TC prescribed “1 to 2 teaspoons of flax seed oil.” How can I translate this to amount of powder? Basically my question is this: Since the liquid form is more concentrated, obviously more powder will be needed to equate 1-2 tsp, but how much exactly?

Also, will it be ok using the powder in my shakes instead of the oil, considering the conversion is correct?

(I would paste a link to the same product on VS’s site, but for soem reason their Nutrition Facts are way off from the ones on the back of my container…go figure)

I’m still wondering why people use flax oil. There has been T-Mag articles that say how flax oil reduces T levels.

Dr. Serrano mentioned some examples of why flax oil isn’t good. He said that when taken by a pregnant woman, it takes all the DHA out of the breast milk. He also stated that the conversion needed to get EPA and DHA out of flax oil is rather poor…15%. And that’s in ideal considtions. It only gets worse from there depending on many factors. So you have an oil that is not converted well to EPA and DHA and lowers T levels. Dr. Serrano said it himself…use fish oil.

read John Berardi’s article…

Lonnie Lowery also seems to promote flax

How do they powder flax oil and keep it all intact? Doesn’t make sense. :wink:

I think you misread Serrano completely. Here’s what he said:

"Flax seed oil is very high in polyunsaturated fats. These fats are unstable in the body because they can be easily oxidized. The enzyme responsible for breaking down ALA into DHA and EPA is lower (not deficient) after the age of 35. I just found out in a study conducted on pregnant women that taking as little as three teaspoons of flax seed oil removed all the EPA and DHA from the breast milk. Yet, when they changed to fish oil, EPA and DHA were present in the breast milk. That tells you something.

The conversion rate is only 15% from ALA to EPA/DHA so it’s better to take fish oils. What are things that affect the enzyme? Caffeine (people taking thermogenics have even lower activity of that enzyme), high insulin levels (from excessive carbohydrates), low magnesium levels, and alcohol are the biggest factors."

I have a question regarding the study done on pregnant women…pregnant women don’t lactate. milk is not produced until after delivery and lactation is brought on by the suckling of the baby. women who have never given birth can begin to lactate with the proper stimulation. just questioning the wording in the study.
I believe fish oils to be a better source, but you can’t beat the micro nutrients in flax seeds/meal along with the much needed fiber.

To limit your oil choices to only one source would be foolish. You don’t get your protien from just one source do you?

Yes, that is exactly what I read, and I don’t see how you think I misread him.

I posted about this before…take a look:

Yes Iron Maiden good point. So i guess i will use both Fish Oil and Flax Powder.

Any idea how much powder need though?

Awesome pic, too btw…i hope my wife’s back looks like at 37!!

Iron Maiden,

Interesting point about the study. I’d be interested to know about that.

Would you limit yourself to only one protein? As far as supplementation goes, many do…i.e. whey protein powder, but they still eat other things. It’s a good idea to get different sources of fat, but there are still many options. You can cycle the brand of fish oils, for one. Two, there are always good sources of fat such as olive oil, avocados (omg, I loooove guacamole :slight_smile: ), omega-3 eggs (yolk not fully cooked to maintain omega-3 integrity), coconut oil, etc.

If it’s true that flax oil reduces T, then it just seems like a poor choice for an oil to me. I dunno.

from that article, I only see Serrano not recommending flax to men over 35 and lactating women.

flax is flax just as long as its a reputable company

flax powder? Do you mean seeds?
How can fats be stored as a powder?
i wouldn’t take it, it sounds like you are getting the husk stuff intended for increasing fibre intake

There is flax meal used for cooking, whole flax seeds, and milled or ground flax seeds. Sounds like you bought the powder meal used for recipes. I think some people use it for a flour substite or something. You needed the milled or ground kind probably.

The conversion rate is 15%. If you think it’s acceptable to take an oil that lowers T levels, makes a poor conversion to EPA and DHA, and is an additional source of PUFA in the diet, then be my guest.

whetu and davo you guys got me thinking whether i did in fact buy the wrong thing…

When i went into the store, I was told to get the powder instead of the liquid if I was putting in my shakes, due to the liquids aweful taste.

heres what their container says:

100% organic, partially defatted flax seed powder

AVERAGE ANALYSIS/TABLESPOON (~9g):
Omega-3 Fatty Acids 550mg
Lignans 43 mg
Omega-6 Fatty Acids 150 mg

Are these numbers comparable to the flax you guys have?

thanks guys

I still don’t know what to do about this flax…help me out guys

you answered your own question

100% organic, partially defatted flax seed powder…
DEFATTED!!!

the oil is fine i use it daily. if you mix it with a shake (choc) it tastes good.
shit i usually drink it from the bottle becuase im a lazy pig.
one bottle last about 10days for me…
breakdown per 100g
omega 3 = 56.8g
omega 6 = 17.7g
omega 9 = 10.9