Flax Seed... Now What?

Ok I got 2 big things of flax seed from a health food store. Brought it down here to the island.

What the heck do I do with it?! I am not on any particular program but just been cleaning up my diet.

I imagine I can mix it in my plain yogurt. How much should I mix in? Also should I grind the flax seed first? I heard if you dont… ya just crap it out.

Grind it and add it to foods. Shakes , salads anything.

2 tbs is about 60 k/cals of fats and fiber.

I usually will have 2-4 tbs a day if I am supplementing with flax.

Is taking Flax Oil easier?

I take Omega 3-6-9 combo pill a day. Suppose to take 3, but I take at most 2 a day (gota conserve some, US is far away)

Should I still supplement with flax seed in my foods?

Oh yeah… since I bought a lot, to conserve them I froze them in their containers.

Uh… was that a good or bad thing? Is it gonna mess up anything or is it fine?

Thankx!

The freezer is a great idea and could only help.

Yes you can take just the oils but the great thing about the seeds is the oils and natural fiber they contain. I also find them rather good on salads and in various shakes and other foods.

[quote]T-Islander wrote:
I imagine I can mix it in my plain yogurt. How much should I mix in? Also should I grind the flax seed first? I heard if you dont… ya just crap it out.[/quote]

If you go to the “supplements” section of your health food store (here in Massachusetts we call it “Whole Foods”), you should find a few brands of flax seeds that have been cold-milled (basically ground). Regular flax seed look like smaller and darker sunflower nuts. Milled flax seed are much more powdery and are better for adding to yogurt, shakes, or whatever.

I like buying my flax seeds whole and grinding them in the blender, a cup or two at a time and keeping the ground seeds in the fridge. I add a tablespoon to my oatmeal in the morning and to my Grow! shake at night.

I think it’s less expensive to buy the whole seeds and grind them yourself and I wonder about the “freshness” of the already milled seeds.

Just another suggestion on how to incorporate the flax seed into a diet: mix flax seed and wheatgerm with peanut butter and slather on a toasted English muffin or bagle. Quite tasty.

[quote]Phill wrote:
Grind it and add it to foods. Shakes , salads anything.

2 tbs is about 60 k/cals of fats and fiber.

I usually will have 2-4 tbs a day if I am supplementing with flax.
[/quote]

Phill hit it on the head. If you are eating a f+c and f+c meals you can eat the flax during your p+f meal. Also if you have a protein meal or shake before bead you can use the flax as good fat to help slow down the breakdown of the protien overnight.
Dastang

I prefer the whole seeds. I just eat them by the spoonful (of course, only a couple spoonfuls a day). Once you get used to it, this is the way to go :slight_smile: