T Nation

Flax Seed, Flameout, and R-ALA

hi...just wanted to know if taking Flax seed oil, Flameout and R-ALA together is safe?? didnt know if there was a point of "over-doing it" when it came to EFA's and stuff.....thanks

Alpha lipoic acid isn't an EFA.

I don't know about R-ALA, but flax seed and Flameout certainly can be stacked. Although it is kind of redundant.

well...then it wouldnt be worth taking them both at the same time?? i didnt know if they had different efa's or had different benefits...

And i know R-ALA isnt a EFA...i just wanted to know if it would be alright to stack it with those other supps

Why are you taking these specific supplements? What are you hoping to achieve after taking them?

This isn't a knock on taking those supplements... I'm just curious as to the rationale in picking those specific supplements, and the changes you're expecting.

well..im not taking them as of yet...but ive been doing some research and realized how important EFA's are to the health of the human body as a whole. i have a few reasons why i am interested in taking these supps.

1) i have bad skin (dry, itchy, etc.) and i have been told by a few people and also by reading that taking EFA's might help my condition.

2) Just to give my body what it needs cause i know i dont eat enough fish and such to give it the proper EFA's

3) i have read that these supps (EFA's AND R-ALA) have shown to have some positive effects on weight management and also maybe some weight loss.

I have had a weight problem all my life. Ive been lifting for about 10 years, the last 3 years ive been lifting pretty seriously (as much as possible on an extremely low budget...(equipment, supplements...etc) and been a few diets ...low carb being the most succesful ...but i cant seem to lose that last tire around my mid-section....

ive been doing a cycle of Alpha Male, HOT-ROX MS and Methoxy-7, walking first thing in the morning for an hour (about 3 or so miles)and working out 3x a week (sometimes more). Am im looking to add a little more umf to my diet. Which is were these supps come in...and the EFA's are good for me no matter what my intentions are for taking them.

Just wanted to know if those 3 i listed were ok to take with each other and to find out if taking both flameout and Flax seed oil at the same time is worth it or if i should just pick one or the other.

If you're going to take Flameout I wouldn't bother with the flax seed since it's redundant and fish oil's a better form of O-3's anyway.

Have you read the recent article of ALA by David Barr? I'd recommend reading it if you're on the fence on whether to buy it or not. There shouldn't be any contra-indications with taking Flameout and ALA together though.

It's hard to recommend anything over the internet though without knowing more about your specific metabolism. Changing thyroid and adrenal gland dynamics helps in most cases. There's a few markers that can identify what might help. I don't have time to go over it now, but I'll help you later if you're interested.

Brian

im always up for some help..thanks

Some info relating to what I was saying earlier...

Increasing thyroid function can have a dramatic effect on body composition. An example, people with overactive thyroids(hyperthyroidism) can often eat 5000 calories or more and remain rail thin. Conversely people with underactive thyroids(hypothyroidism) may only eat 1000 calories and remain obese.

Supplements that increase thyroid function are the minerals manganese, zinc, chromium, potassium, selenium and iodine. The vitamins B1, B6, B12, folic acid, C, and E, also increase thyroid function.

Boosting adrenal medulla function will also help one lose excess fat. This is the part that produces the catecholamines norepinephrine and epinephrine, which are similar in function to caffeine and ephedrine in fat-loss supplements.

Supplements that boost adrenal medulla function are calcium, iron, sodium, TMG, and tyrosine. If you're already sufficient in adrenal medulla function, over-production will result in anxiety, overstimulation, anger, and insomnia.

This is an oversimplification of the process, as there are other factors relating to fat loss. None the less, thyroid and adrenal function are important players.