Flax Seed differences

I was at the grocery store today and I noticed that there were two different types of flax seeds, one that was classified as “Golden” Flax seeds, the other was just called flax seeds. The Golden one was, of course, gold, but the other one was a bit darker, kinda dark. Is there a significant difference between the two types?

Also, does one have to do anything to the seeds to eat them? Or can you simply sprinkle them on food and eat it that way? Thanks ahead of time for answering my questions.

This will be answered easily by some, but I don’t know of the differences between dark and golden. I use golden. Just what is available. As far as how to eat them, buy a coffee grinder and throw them in there. I have read that you cannot digest the entire shell, so you must grind them before ingestion. Hope this helps a little.

I usually buy the golden but believe there is little difference between the 2 in omega 3 EFA content.

Hi, ChuckieT. It doesn’t matter whether your flax seeds are golden or not. They’re both high in Omega-3 fatty acids and will help you meet your daily fiber requirements. What’s important is that you run what you’re going to eat through a little coffee grinder. Unground seeds that have gone through the intestinal tract can be planted and will sprout!!! If you don’t grind the seeds, you’ll still benefit from their mucilaginous properties (fiber-like qualities), but not their fatty acid properties, which are only released when the outer hull is cracked. Quick recommendations are:

1. Don't cook with the flax seeds; it destroys the fragile fatty acid chains. 2. Grind only what you're going to use (about 2 Tablespoons) because Omega-6 fatty acid chains quickly go rancid when exposed to oxygen.

Flax seeds have a slightly nutty taste and are VERY filling. They taste good sprinkled on yogurt, added into cottage cheese, eaten alone with milk and some sort of sweetener, kinda like oatmeal or Cream of Wheat. They can be added into just about anything. Just don’t cook or heat them.

Happy flaxing!!!

Wanted to add…a blender also works well to grind the seeds into flax meal…and ground seeds can be stored in an air tight container (ziplock) in the freezer or fridge (just like the flax oil after opening) to prevent oxidation and resulting rancidity…I grind enough for a week-10 days and keep in ziplock in freezer for daily use in protein shakes or added to cottage cheese, yogurt, or sprinkled on salads.

Would it be okay just to chew on them as you ate them, rather than swallowing them?

Also would it bad to buy ready made flax meal? (as it is pre ground and will have the omega 6 FA exposed)Will it go rancid?

Hi, Crawford. Nothing wrong with chewing them, but your jaw is probably going to get sore. (grin) And, too, they’re slippery little devils. Any that you don’t chew will go through the digestive tract undigested.

The coffee grinder is probably the way to go, maybe $12-14 at Walmart?

Thanks tampa

You’re most welcome!!! (grin) Happy flaxin’

Got a grinder at Target for $15.95. One question or two. 1)What is the caloric equivalent to flax oil and 2) Is there really a chance of getting an omega 3 to 6 imbalance if on a fat fast type diet, so I should include a portion of raw sunflower seeds into my grinder. I like Udo’s oil for its convenience, but the savings and natural state of the seed outweigh the convenience. besides getting fiber to help with the homemade mrp to prevent a gut bomb.

Hi, Jay. Roughly 1 tablespoon of flaxseed oil is equivalent to 15g of fat and is 135 calories. Depending on the type of EFA, the number might read 132, but I always use the 135 number because fat is 9 calories per gram and 9 x 15 = 135, right?

If you use Udo’s you don’t have to worry about any fatty acid imbalances because Udo’s is formulated at a 2:1 ratio of Omega 3s to Omega 6s. You’re safe doing straight Udo’s for FF.