T Nation

Flax Question

I used to take the pills at the recommended dosage perscribed in Velocity Diet. Never had to worry about preparation or any of that, just gulped the pills.

My GF bought 3 pounds of seeds last night and now I’m left scratching my head on how to prepare them or incorporate them into meals.

They are the little dinky seeds.

Do I just shovel down a tablespoon of them? Sprinkle them in cereal? Will I even digest them in this form? Anything else I need to do with them prior to eating them?

I know, this probably seems ultra-basic and perhaps stupid, but I could use a little help.

Thanks all.

B.

Grind them in a coffee grinder, add them to shakes or whatever you want.

You need to grind them up or they will pass right through you. If you have a coffee grinder, you can use that. Only grind up what you are going to use in a day since they lose their effectiveness after a few days. Store them in the fridge.

After you grind them, add them to shakes, salads, cottage cheese, whatever.

I found an awsome way to use them.

Heat up a pan that has a lid then throw a handful of flax into the hot pan.
Shake the pan around to keep the flax moving. Make sure you have the lid on. The Flax will start to “pop” and “dink” against the lid. After 30 secs or so of this popping turn off the heat and continue to shake the pan around so they dont burn.

You now have roasted flax seeds, goes great on salads or a snack, tastes really good and nutty this way.

[quote]jbodzin wrote:
I found an awsome way to use them.

Heat up a pan that has a lid then throw a handful of flax into the hot pan.
Shake the pan around to keep the flax moving. Make sure you have the lid on. The Flax will start to “pop” and “dink” against the lid. After 30 secs or so of this popping turn off the heat and continue to shake the pan around so they dont burn.

You now have roasted flax seeds, goes great on salads or a snack, tastes really good and nutty this way.[/quote]

Those Poly fats are easily destroyed as In Fragile. You killing them bro, I would suggest not roating them like you are.

You need to do as others said and grind thm or they will just pass whole the skin/shell protects them and keeps you from getting the fats.

[quote]Phill wrote:
jbodzin wrote:
I found an awsome way to use them.

Heat up a pan that has a lid then throw a handful of flax into the hot pan.
Shake the pan around to keep the flax moving. Make sure you have the lid on. The Flax will start to “pop” and “dink” against the lid. After 30 secs or so of this popping turn off the heat and continue to shake the pan around so they dont burn.

You now have roasted flax seeds, goes great on salads or a snack, tastes really good and nutty this way.

Those Poly fats are easily destroyed as In Fragile. You killing them bro, I would suggest not roating them like you are.

You need to do as others said and grind thm or they will just pass whole the skin/shell protects them and keeps you from getting the fats.

[/quote]

It’s only been said not to cook with flax oil or seeds…especially in a frying pan about ohhhhh a bizzilion times. Can’t believe people still do this.

Can’t you just eat them? Maybe like sunflower seeds. They don’t taste good. On a related note, should most whole/health food stores sell flax oil. I am looking to get some in the oil form.

Yes sorry I forgot to mention that this method was pretty much just for taste and not for the flax benifits, other than the fiber.

But it is still tasty.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
Can’t you just eat them? Maybe like sunflower seeds. They don’t taste good. On a related note, should most whole/health food stores sell flax oil. I am looking to get some in the oil form.[/quote]

Most do. It should be in a dark glass container and refrigerated.Preferably organic. I like Udo’s Choice.

[quote]IL Cazzo wrote:
jsbrook wrote:
Can’t you just eat them? Maybe like sunflower seeds. They don’t taste good. On a related note, should most whole/health food stores sell flax oil. I am looking to get some in the oil form.

Most do. It should be in a dark glass container and refrigerated.Preferably organic. I like Udo’s Choice. [/quote]

Sounds good. Thanks

Thanks for the info fellas.

I’ll get a grinder and do what’s gotta be done.

Thanks again, I appreciate it.

B.