Flax Oil vs Flax Seed

Is there much of a difference between Flax oil and Flax seed (benefit wise)? I usually put two large tablespoons in my oatmeal along with raw wheat germ.

Flax seed is more portable. You can drop a handful in a jacket pocket and munch on it whenever. Helpful if you like to chew on something over the course of your day, but would like to avoid the usual snacky foods. Roman soldiers used to do this when standing guard for extended periods of time.

Nutritionally, I think there’s probably more fiber in the seeds. :wink:

Thanx

Be sure to do the math. You have to use quite a lot of flax seed to equal a tablespoon of oil. However, the seed is a great source of fiber.

And I hope the previous poster didn’t mean the milled stuff! That would be nasty, plus it needs refridgerated or it’ll go bad quickly.

I down flax seeds and flax oil all the time…Omega 3’s here I come!

BUT
Beware that there MIGHT be ESTROGENIC effects from flax seeds. They are still trying to confirm.

Does anyone have any links to research that verifies this yet?

I meant whole raw flax seeds, not milled. I can actually get them at Safeway, which is convenient.

And be sure to chew thoroughly, or they come out the same way they went in.

I have been using the kind in the bins from Whole Foods. I don’t know if it milled or whole. It is pretty fine though. I use 1 heaping tablespoon in my Grow!. Maybe I’ll try 2-3.

Don’t eat the flaxseeds whole- our bodies don’t have the enzymes necessary to break down the hull. So whole flaxseed will act something like fiber in your system, which won’t hurt anything but won’t make it a great source of EFAs.

Someone mentioned shelf life as a concern with the seeds earlier. A good point, and the easiest way to get around it is to buy whole flaxseeds, store them in the freezer, and grind small amounts yourself as needed. A coffee grinder works fine for this.