Flax Digestion (Gross)

a little off topic, but has anybody tried ground flax seed on frozen pizza? I did once, when I had some extra. I noticed it smelled and tasted fishy. From this can I conclude that it’s the omega 3 fatty acids themselves that carry that “fishy smell”?

Flax meal is good. I’ve been able to find it at most places, Whole Foods, Trader Joes, New Seasons, etc.

[quote]Tulkastaldo wrote:
a little off topic, but has anybody tried ground flax seed on frozen pizza? I did once, when I had some extra. I noticed it smelled and tasted fishy. From this can I conclude that it’s the omega 3 fatty acids themselves that carry that “fishy smell”?[/quote]

Someone can probably answer this more scientifically, but you have to be careful when heating flax. Omega-3’s oxidize. They go rancid when left at room temperature too long, and they oxidize when heated too high. When you get the fishy taste in flax, and (I’ve heard) the “fish burps” from fish oil capsules, this means they’re no longer fresh.

[quote]ak888 wrote:

Someone can probably answer this more scientifically, but you have to be careful when heating flax. Omega-3’s oxidize. They go rancid when left at room temperature too long, and they oxidize when heated too high. When you get the fishy taste in flax, and (I’ve heard) the “fish burps” from fish oil capsules, this means they’re no longer fresh.

[/quote]
oh, shite. I even threw it on top of the pizza after it was cooked, fresh ground. I figured whole flaxseed was pretty much imperishable, since I read that archaeologists have found seeds stored by rodents from the ice age that were still viable. Guess flaxseed has a little shorter lifespan. Blech. Guess my only recourse is to grow my own.

[quote]Tulkastaldo wrote:
I figured whole flaxseed was pretty much imperishable, since I read that archaeologists have found seeds stored by rodents from the ice age that were still viable. Guess flaxseed has a little shorter lifespan.[/quote]

Does your flaxseed have an expiration date on the package? If it’s been stored properly, it should be good through that date. Whole flax seeds have a shelf life measured in years.