Flax Digestion (Gross)

Hi all,

I’m on the V-diet at the moment, without any changes to it.

The flax seeds seem to be just passing straight through my digestive system (think corn).

Firstly, I’m not a major in the goings on of the human digestive system but my gut feeling (geddit?) is that this may mean that I’m not getting the fats I need from using the seeds.

Second, if this is the case, does anyone have any thoughts on what I should do instead? Is flax oil the way to go?

I realise this is a bit of an odd post - any ideas would be useful.

Cheers.

Chris would be able to provide you with a better answer than this, but I believe the main reason for the flax seed is to provide fiber to the diet. Sure there is the added benefit of the healthy fats that are introduced, but without the added fiber things would not be as productive.

Have you just started the diet. When my wife and I did the diet we both experienced the same thing you describe during the first few days. Then it stopped.

Christopher

do correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m going to make guesses to get to the problem

if you were using milled or meal, it would be impossible to distingish flax in your poo… so I’m going to assume you’re using whole flax seeds.

you say v-diet, so you’re putting them in your shakes, thus not chewing them

use milled flax seed or flax seed meal if you’re putting them in shakes or I do believe you need to chew flax seeds if they’re whole

[quote]omp1981 wrote:
Hi all,

I’m on the V-diet at the moment, without any changes to it.

The flax seeds seem to be just passing straight through my digestive system (think corn).

Firstly, I’m not a major in the goings on of the human digestive system but my gut feeling (geddit?) is that this may mean that I’m not getting the fats I need from using the seeds.

Second, if this is the case, does anyone have any thoughts on what I should do instead? Is flax oil the way to go?

I realise this is a bit of an odd post - any ideas would be useful.

Cheers.
[/quote]

You say flax “seeds”. Don’t tell us you’re taking the actual seeds! Seeds unless “milled” or better “ground” cannot be digested.

I believe the V-Diet calls for ground flax seeds. And yes, the intention is fiber content which is about 4g per serving.

If you can’t hack ground flax seeds (I can’t either) go for flax “meal” which is just more finely ground up but still contains the same amount of fiber.
This should relieve the problem entirely.

Going flax oil would not be the best route as you’d then also have to come up with a source of fiber (eg. BeneFiber product).

This picture here is the kind I use. 2 Tablespoons = 4g fiber, 3g protein, 4.5g fat (2.5 being Omega-3), no sodium, no cholesterol, no saturated fat.

I’m using MacKinlay’s flaxseed, which it says is cold-milled. I fear I may have misinterpreted the label - this isn’t milled flaxseed? I’ve shown a picture of it above (if it has attached properly).

Where do you get the stuff you use? I got the stuff I’ve shown above from GNC.

[quote]Evilmage wrote:
do correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m going to make guesses to get to the problem

if you were using milled or meal, it would be impossible to distingish flax in your poo… so I’m going to assume you’re using whole flax seeds.

you say v-diet, so you’re putting them in your shakes, thus not chewing them

use milled flax seed or flax seed meal if you’re putting them in shakes or I do believe you need to chew flax seeds if they’re whole[/quote]

You’re right. Looks like I need to try flax meal or what’s used by AllTraps

[quote]omp1981 wrote:
I’m using MacKinlay’s flaxseed, which it says is cold-milled. I fear I may have misinterpreted the label - this isn’t milled flaxseed? I’ve shown a picture of it above (if it has attached properly).

Where do you get the stuff you use? I got the stuff I’ve shown above from GNC.[/quote]

You can use what you already have, just grind the seeds in a coffee grinder. Walmart has grinders for like 10-12 bucks.

Also keep them in the refridgerator.

Second last posters suggestion.

When I’ve added flax seeds to my shakes, it’s usually due both to their excellent fiber, but also the omega-3’s. Omega-3, like many polyunsaturated fats are rather delicate and can spoil rather easily. Thus grinding your own increases their freshness – and your wellness :wink:

just my two cents

As others have said, you need to use flax meal or milled flaxseed, not whole flaxseeds. Another option, and the one I use all the time, is to mill your own flaxseed. But the whole see and mill two tablespoons in a coffee mill. It only takes seconds and it works great.

For those who can’t hack using flax meal in shakes, is it the texture that bothers you or the taste? I absolutely love both. I think it gives the shake a nutty flavor. I take 2 T morning and evening.

[quote]omp1981 wrote:

Where do you get the stuff you use? I got the stuff I’ve shown above from GNC.[/quote]

got the stuff I use at grocery store in natural health products, refridgerated section

looks like you got flax seeds, so either put them through a coffee grinder to ground them or get flax meal.

I was really hesitant to open this thread after reading the title then realizing there was a ‘photo’ icon next to it.

You really don’t even need a coffee grinder. I put the seeds in my blender and it worked perfect. No need to buy a grinder.

[quote]squatdude wrote:
As others have said, you need to use flax meal or milled flaxseed, not whole flaxseeds. Another option, and the one I use all the time, is to mill your own flaxseed. But the whole see and mill two tablespoons in a coffee mill. It only takes seconds and it works great.

For those who can’t hack using flax meal in shakes, is it the texture that bothers you or the taste? I absolutely love both. I think it gives the shake a nutty flavor. I take 2 T morning and evening.[/quote]

I dont really like it my my shakes, because it’s just inconvenient, and tends to settle at the bottom too quickly.

I eat mine with a spoon and a glass of water. Delicious.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
I was really hesitant to open this thread after reading the title then realizing there was a ‘photo’ icon next to it.[/quote]

I thought the same thing. Yet we both opened the thread despite the warning signs, hmmm…

[quote]ak888 wrote:
rrjc5488 wrote:
I was really hesitant to open this thread after reading the title then realizing there was a ‘photo’ icon next to it.

I thought the same thing. Yet we both opened the thread despite the warning signs, hmmm…[/quote]

Me too. I’m disappointed, in a way.

[quote]nephorm wrote:
Me too. I’m disappointed, in a way.[/quote]

Well, that goes without saying, lol.

To find a rational question with pictures of health food products was a little disconcerting.

[quote]nephorm wrote:
ak888 wrote:
rrjc5488 wrote:

I thought the same thing. Yet we both opened the thread despite the warning signs, hmmm…

Me too. I’m disappointed, in a way.[/quote]

I could PM you some pics if you like. :slight_smile:

Thanks for all your advice, and my apologies to those who were disappointed not to find a picture of a flax-infested stool.

I was nearing the end of the bag of flaxseeds, so bought some flax meal last night - it definitely adds a nutty flavour to the shakes.

Now, what do people think I should do about the little worms I saw next to the flaxseed…? (kidding).

It’s a bit off topic, but has anyone of you ever had such a big shit that you were impressed by yourself!!

I mean like multible flush big.

[quote]omp1981 wrote:
Now, what do people think I should do about the little worms I saw next to the flaxseed…? (kidding).

[/quote]

Just blend them into the shake. Worms are supposedly 80% protein.