T Nation

Flavoring Oats?

I just recently started eating oats for breakfast (yes the natural oats), and I need to find a way to make them taste better. Can someone give me some ideas about adding flavor to oats? (other then adding fruit) I think they taste horrible.

[quote]fisch wrote:
I just recently started eating oats for breakfast (yes the natural oats), and I need to find a way to make them taste better. Can someone give me some ideas about adding flavor to oats? (other then adding fruit) I think they taste horrible.[/quote]

Brown sugar, cinnamon, honey…

Think out of the box padawon.

You absolutely cannot add fruit? Even 2-5 berries (of many sorts) crushed and spread through the oats makes a world of difference. Try using protein powder as well.

[quote]njrusmc wrote:
You absolutely cannot add fruit? Even 2-5 berries (of many sorts) crushed and spread through the oats makes a world of difference. Try using protein powder as well.[/quote]

Yet another fine example of thinking for one’s self.

Pumpkin. And cinnamon. Delicious.

Cinnamon. It actually improves your response to the carbs, lots written about it. And adding 1/2 scoop vanilla whey powder, maybe first mixed with a little milk really tastes good. Partly thats the sweeteners in the powder, you GOTTA sweeten oatmeal, so pick your poison.

What I usually add is cinnamon, banana, almonds, and raisins. I can not get enough of oatmeal.

add some chocolate whey and a spoonful of natty peanut butter

oats are like cottage cheese…at first you despise them but eventually you will crave them,

Try adding some cinnamon and nutmeg when you add the oats to boiling water.

[quote]cyruseven75 wrote:
oats are like cottage cheese…at first you despise them but eventually you will crave them,[/quote]

crave them and grow to love them :wink:

DG

Blueberry or banana flavored wheys are my top choices.

Cook them in flavoured tea.

Why can’t you add fruit?

^ Well cause right now I ran out of fruit, so I have to go get some more.

For adding any of this stuff, do I add it after its cooked or before there cooked? I usually add milk after I cook them, so is that when I should add cinnamon/protein powder/whatever?

if it’s the carbs you are trying to stay away from you can add Smuckers sugar free jelly. I do this whn I have run out of fruit though usually I keep frozen berries in my freezer too.

Just add a scoop of Low Carb Metabollic drive, Vanilla, banana cream, chocolate or stawberry all good :slight_smile: with a little milk to assist mixing.

I guess I’m a weirdo…I just use a packet or two of splenda…

flavored tea… that’s a good one, subtle but good idea