Flat vs. Decline Bench?

[quote]Mosho wrote:
I have a question about this.

I press about 80 DB flat, 65DB incline, but on the decline machine (no bench at my gym) I press a whopping 270 lbs. It’s that machine where you sit up leaning a bit to the back and have handles that you push away from you and down a bit. It’s like doing a decline only the entire thing is rotated 90 degrees. My chest’s shape is pretty normal so I think it’s the machine… But that’s a whole lot of difference. How is this possible?[/quote]

I can do more weight with declines than flat. I can also do 20+ bodyweight dips, but really doubt if I could do 235 for 20 reps on the flat bench. It probably has to do with the fact that more meat of the pecs are engaged with decline movements which also explains why you can do less with inclines. They predominantly recruit the clavicular portion common called the upper pecs.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
Mosho wrote:

I press about 80 DB flat, 65DB incline, but on the decline machine (no bench at my gym) I press a whopping 270 lbs. It’s that machine where you sit up leaning a bit to the back and have handles that you push away from you and down a bit. It’s like doing a decline only the entire thing is rotated 90 degrees. My chest’s shape is pretty normal so I think it’s the machine… But that’s a whole lot of difference. How is this possible?

I can do more weight with declines than flat. I can also do 20+ bodyweight dips, but really doubt if I could do 235 for 20 reps on the flat bench. It probably has to do with the fact that more meat of the pecs are engaged with decline movements which also explains why you can do less with inclines. They predominantly recruit the clavicular portion common called the upper pecs.[/quote]

If one has exceptionally strong triceps they will push big numbers on decline benching. If one has exceptionally strong shoulders they will push big numbers on incline bench. I don’t think it’s the ‘meat of the pecs’.

D

[quote]Dedicated wrote:
<<< If one has exceptionally strong triceps they will push big numbers on decline benching. If one has exceptionally strong shoulders they will push big numbers on incline bench. I don’t think it’s the ‘meat of the pecs’.

D[/quote]

The triceps are used in both movements. I can’t believe that the fact that more of the large pectoral muscle group is recruited with decline movements has nothing to do with most people, at least with reasonably balanced development, being able to move more weight with declines.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
Dedicated wrote:
<<< If one has exceptionally strong triceps they will push big numbers on decline benching. If one has exceptionally strong shoulders they will push big numbers on incline bench. I don’t think it’s the ‘meat of the pecs’.

D

The triceps are used in both movements. I can’t believe that the fact that more of the large pectoral muscle group is recruited with decline movements has nothing to do with most people, at least with reasonably balanced development, being able to move more weight with declines.[/quote]

Yes, triceps are used in both movements, I didn’t mean to imply they weren’t. Rather that depending on the position you are getting more help from one supporting group over another. In all the lifting groups, I have been a part of the guys who had tremendous triceps had bigger decline bench numbers. And the same held true for guys who had bigger stronger shoulders and incline. True, I have no scientific data to back that up just my observation.

D

[quote]Dedicated wrote:
<<< True, I have no scientific data to back that up just my observation.

D[/quote]

As is my view also my observation and there’s probably some truth in both.

I think the disparity between decline numbers and flat bench numbers has to do with people who take the bar to the upper abdomen on declines therefore shortening the stroke a great degree. It does become primarily a triceps movemant at that point and is as far as I know the reason why many people say decline sucks for chest development, they do it wrong.

i would say something like

flat
incline
dips (deep)

any fly (machine, crossover, db) movement at a variety of angles

I do flat only, and my chest looks like crap. But my numbers are decent, and keep going up.

[quote]TRAJJ wrote:
For a BB program, would it be a good idea to include both the flat AND decline bench press for the chest day or are both too similar as to be redundant i.e. pick one or the other? [/quote]

Decline bench actually activates more chest fibers than flat bench. It also uses less anterior deltoid, which again means more chest involvement. So if I had only one chest exercise to perform for chest I would do decline bench.

Having said that, form a BB standpoint, you need to hit each muscle with different exercises at different angles. So do both.

[quote]Lorisco wrote:
TRAJJ wrote:
For a BB program, would it be a good idea to include both the flat AND decline bench press for the chest day or are both too similar as to be redundant i.e. pick one or the other?

Decline bench actually activates more chest fibers than flat bench. It also uses less anterior deltoid, which again means more chest involvement. So if I had only one chest exercise to perform for chest I would do decline bench.

Having said that, form a BB standpoint, you need to hit each muscle with different exercises at different angles. So do both.
[/quote]

I have to concur with this assessment. The angle is similar to dips and standing high crossovers. I also do believe in hitting all three angles, though I concentrate more on declines and inclines.

declines make my head feel like it’s going to explode

[quote]schultzie wrote:
declines make my head feel like it’s going to explode[/quote]

Do inclines make it feel like it’s going to shrink =]

obviously, the answer is yes, it’s simple science here folks

[quote]schultzie wrote:
obviously, the answer is yes, it’s simple science here folks[/quote]

Damn, the only way
you can keep your head is plain ol flat benches.

[quote]Mosho wrote:

I press about 80 DB flat, 65DB incline, but on the decline machine (no bench at my gym) I press a whopping 270 lbs. It’s that machine where you sit up leaning a bit to the back and have handles that you push away from you and down a bit. It’s like doing a decline only the entire thing is rotated 90 degrees. My chest’s shape is pretty normal so I think it’s the machine… But that’s a whole lot of difference. How is this possible?[/quote]

It’s a [b]machine.[/b]

They tend to allow you to lift more weight due to the design and the fact that you are not lifting the full load. Try 270lbs on a flat bench with a barbell, and you won’t be close to getting it.

I believe a 20 degree decline is considered optimal for pressing strength. Excessive declines seem a little silly, but a slight decline is like a push up.

That being said, i havent done declines in ages as we done have a decline bench.

Weighted pushups will do.

[quote]Andrew Dixon wrote:
I believe a 20 degree decline is considered optimal for pressing strength. Excessive declines seem a little silly, but a slight decline is like a push up.

That being said, i havent done declines in ages as we done have a decline bench.

Weighted pushups will do.[/quote]

Dips work great for chest and are a very “excessive” angle.

A good thing to point out as well is that the reason people arch their backs doing flat bench is because your body is trying to get more leverage on the load because it can activate more fibers in the decline position (and that is what you are doing when you arch your back �?? putting a decline on the angle.

[quote]Lorisco wrote:
<<< A good thing to point out as well is that the reason people arch their backs doing flat bench is because your body is trying to get more leverage on the load because it can activate more fibers >>>
[/quote]

A positively splendid point and one I am embarrassed for not having thought of. Jolly good show

[quote]jcv423 wrote:
PublickStews wrote:
Declines are nothing more than a cheap ego booster.

I can see why you say this, since most lifters can handle more on the decline compared to flat or incline, but i disagree with you. Declines worked well for me when flat benching was bothering my shoulder. The decline takes the shoulders out of the movement more so than other types of benching.[/quote]

I think the main reason you get stronger as the angle declines is that the ROM is getting shorter. Incline presses have the longest range and declines have the shortest.

[quote]IrishMarc wrote:
pens501 wrote:
decline bench press shapes your chest better specially lower chest.

Joking?[/quote]

pens501 is absolutely correct.