Flat Dummbell Carryover to Flat Bench Press

It’s been a while since I’ve posted on here. I just wanted to post an observation in my training log. I am 39 and have been training for a long time.

Here it is. Maybe some of you already know this. I just like to share it so it’s out there.

I do upperbody every 14 days which is chest one day and back the next. I have been alternating flat dumbbell and flat bench every other two weeks since early August. flat Bench once a month flat db once a month. My training logs show that I always have a great flat bench workout 14 days after flat dumbbell. But my flat dumbbell weight stays the same 14 days after flat bench. My theory is the flat dumbbell recruits every muscle the flat bench uses therefore increasing the flat bench because I’m hitting everything every 14 days. The dumbbell weight stays the same because the stabilizing muscles required aren’t being hit with flat bench, so they are only seeing action once every 28 days. I read a forum where someone mentioned that the bench press recruits tris and chest more than flat db. Which would make sense since dbs split up the workload to more muscles. Any thoughts are appreciated. I also notice that incline db won’t suffice on flat bench days to carry me to the next flat db day. I’m thinking it isn’t specific enough.

Basically what I am saying is Flat dumbbell has carryover to flat bench, but flat bench does not carryover to flat dumbbell. (stabilizer muscles) Incline dumbbell does doesn’t have carryover to flat db, it’s not specific enough.

Are you saying that you let’s say bench press and then do nothing until 2 weeks later, for chest that is? That would sound like you spend so much time in recovery that your body might forget you lift.

As far as cross carry over benefits of the 2 exercises, I used to do a program in which I deadlifted like a beast, but my squat days were mediocre. What I am hypothesizing is that maybe you are inclined to try harder on bench than DB chest press.

[quote]DeadKong wrote:
Are you saying that you let’s say bench press and then do nothing until 2 weeks later, for chest that is? That would sound like you spend so much time in recovery that your body might forget you lift.

As far as cross carry over benefits of the 2 exercises, I used to do a program in which I deadlifted like a beast, but my squat days were mediocre. What I am hypothesizing is that maybe you are inclined to try harder on bench than DB chest press.[/quote]