T Nation

Flat Bench Help?

My buddy and I train 5 days a week. Im 20 weighing 190. For about the past 7 months i cant get over 225 lbs for 7 reps on flat bench. Everything else has been going up including incline and decline. Ive tried changing my training habits and im eating plenty. Just looking for any serious advice out there about what I can do about getting over this plateau. Thanks for the help.

Detail your whole weekly workout program for us so we can better help you. What you posted is too vague to offer advice.

D

chest sunday, back monday, legs tuesday, shoulders wednesday, bis/tris thursday, and friday and saturday off. we do 2 weeks for 12 reps 2 weeks for 8 reps and 2 weeks for 4-6 reps and repeat to keep mixing things up.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459808

don’t know if you read this already, good advice on how to improve your bench.

[quote]ylime6000 wrote:
My buddy and I train 5 days a week. Im 20 weighing 190. For about the past 7 months i cant get over 225 lbs for 7 reps on flat bench. Everything else has been going up including incline and decline. Ive tried changing my training habits and im eating plenty. Just looking for any serious advice out there about what I can do about getting over this plateau. Thanks for the help.[/quote]

What really helped me when I hit a flat bench plateau was switching to DBs. Flat, Incline and Dips are what my chest exercises consisted of.

Using the DBs increased my range of motion and balance. After a few months of only using DBs, my BB rep weight increased by more than 50lbs.

BB weight doesn’t translate very well to DBs so don’t be surprised if you can’t throw around more than the 70s or 80s at first. Once you can throw the 100s around 8-10 times for 3-4 sets, go back to the BB and be prepared to be astounded.

Good luck!

Work your back hard. A strong back will greatly enhance a big bench. Shoulders and tri’s should be worked hard as well.

D