T Nation

Flat Bench Grip Width?

Just taking a quick informal poll to see how wide your grip is when benching. For me I have my pointer fingers on the ring in the knurling on the bar.

I vary mine. If I’m going light for high reps I will go wide. If I’m going heavy but traing for mass, I use a medium grip. If I am competing in a bench press comp my grip is only slightly wider than shoulder width.

I keep my grip as wide as is needed to have my forearms exactly vertical when the bar’s in the bottom position.

Your grip should be so that your fore arms are around 90 degrees from the ground at the bottom postion.

Accipter-

I know your working on your bench, have you read any of the bench articles on or around other sites?

I’m not trying to be funny…but reading some articles on bench form and taking a little time to learn it has tremendously helped me.

[quote]goya wrote:
Your grip should be so that your fore arms are around 90 degrees from the ground at the bottom postion.[/quote]

I try to stick with this rule, but I have mine more like 80 degrees. I have long arms and am skinny, any wider makes my shoulders feel like they are getting twisted in a bad way and I lose LOTS of power.

i put my ring finger on the smooth ring thing

It really has more to do with what muscles you want to target and less right and wrong (within reason).

i dont bench, its so bad for you

28" at the mo.

You can use various widths an still have forearms vertical.
e.g. narrow grip (for me say 20") forearms vert at bottom of lift means the bar hits me low on chest / high abs.

If you don’t get this imagine you are on a bench forearms vertical and rotate around the shoulder joint, all widths from forearms at your sides to (shoulder dangerous) upper arms in line with your shoulders will be possible while maintaining forearms vetical.

Er why not use all 3 ways like outside-mid-inside instead of just doing 1 grip

[quote]ZeusNathan wrote:
i dont bench, its so bad for you[/quote]

Yet, your deadlift form is impeccable.

[quote]ZeusNathan wrote:
i dont bench, its so bad for you[/quote]

care to expand on that fairly broad statement?

grip just varies which supporting muscles are incorporated. Inside grip you use more tri’s while outside hits more of just chest.

Maximum legal width pointer on the ring for me. During training I occassionally move it in for the different angle.

[quote]Corkonian wrote:
Er why not use all 3 ways like outside-mid-inside instead of just doing 1 grip [/quote]

thats what i do. i go heaviest on wide grip because i have long arms, close grip is all tricep till the very top. you want a good balance of shoulder tricep and chest doing the work, not all of one.

The best grip width for those not competing or looking to start lifting 300+ anytime soon is wherever you first put your hands on the bar.

For the most part, without more formal instruction, our most natural form will be our most efficient, and therefore, most powerful…if, however, you’re trying to lift beyond 1.25Xbodyweightish, hands just barely wider than shoulder with is what works for me.

I put my hands at the very ends, like a snatch grip width.