Flash's Old and Broke Down Log

Well, this has been a rough year for me. At the end of last year I pinched a nerve in my neck, then this year I’ve torn a muscle in my groin, broken a bone in my foot, hyperextended a knee, hyperextended an elbow, and a host of other irritating shit. I’v also had two major knee injuries, one major knee surgery, a partially torn right rotator that I never fixed [but doesn’t bother me too much any more], and, again, a lot more irritating injuries.

Anyway, I’m finally feeling good enough to get back in and consistently hit it. I’ve benched 275x5 and 315x2 in the past weighing about 185, and I’ve squatted 405 with a low bar position. With my knees now the way they are, I can only go high bar atg, and it’s humbling. End of year goals are modest, but here they are- bench-235x5, atg squat-275x5, weighted chin-+75x5, hang clean-235x3, bw-175 at 10% or less [I’m naturally pretty lean].

I work full time and am starting back at school full time come Monday, so I’ll lift Mon, Wed, Thurs and Sat on an upper/lower split. Lifts are rarely taken to failure, I’m focusing on good form and generally stop the set with a rep or 2 in the hole or when form breaks [ass off the bench while benching, chest caves while squatting, etc…]. I’ll play ball once or twice a week [I can still dunk pretty easily at 5’9" despite the knees], and I ride my bike to the gym [weather permitting, takes about 10 min] to get loose. Anyway, here goes…

Monday, Aug 20th- Rode bike 10 minutes-ish to gym. Normally foam roll and do mobs, but didn’t have time. Have to bench with a pretty close grip due to the shoulder, but 'tis what it is.

Bench-barx2x15?, 95x8,135x6,185x4,210x5,5,4,4 [All fairly easy. When I get all 4 at 5 I add 5-10 lbs]

B1]TRX Rows- bent legx8, straight legx6, feet elevatedx4x12
B2]Paused db incline-30’sx8, 52.5’sx6, 75’sx3x8 [paused for 2 count about an inch above shoulders. Brutal]

TRX circuit of scarecrows, tri extenstions and curls- 3-4 sets of 10-12

Tues- Nothin’ but work

Wed- Rode bike, foam rolled back and did some mobs

Hangclean-135x3x5 supersetted with kneeling jumps 3 reps each set, 155x3, 190x3x3 [Really focused on form. These felt good]

ATG Squats- barx5, 135x5, 155x5, 205x5,4,3,3 [Stopped each set when I felt like I was caving. Staying upright feels super awkward ‘cause for years I squatted low bar. It’s gonna be awesome when I’m bangin’ out 3 plates ATG high bar]

Paused Bss’s-bwx8, 35’sx2x8 [easing into this workout 'cause it’s been a bit]

Leg curls supersetted with calves 3x8-10

Thurs- Bike, foamroll, mobs

A1]Weighted chins [shoulders have to touch bar, full extension]- lat pulls-60x2x10, 120x8, bw chinsc6, +50x5,5,4,3
A2]DB Bench-30’sx2x10, 50’sx8, 70’sx6, 90’sx8,8,8,6 [When I get all sets at 8, jump to 95’s]

B1]DB Rows-50’sx? 80’sx3x10 [paused for 2 both ways
B2] Standing neutral db military-30’sx?, 50’sx3x8

Circuit of ext rotations, tri extensions and hammer curls-3x 10-12

Ab circuit of dragon flags, db side bends and atomic pushups- 3x10

Yesterday- worked an 11 hour shift then got drunk.

Today- wanted to shoot around to get loose, but they were running whole so I got picked up and ran. Problem was I was wearing running shoes 'cause I wasn’t expecting to play and wound up spraining my ankle coming down from a rebound. Called out there, then-

Powercleans-135x3,155x3,165x3,175x3,185x2x3

All I had time for before work. My plan is a clean, some kind of squat then some sprints. After the ankle it was probably good I ran out of time. Also, doing ANYTHING from the floor with hexagon plates sucks.

Rode bike to gym, foamrolled, mobs, stretched low back 'cause for some reason it was ridiculously tight, then-

Bench-barx2x?,95x8,135x6,185x4,210x4x5 [Ass came up a bit on last rep of last set, but still counting it. 215 next Monday]

B1]TRX Rows-blx8,slx6,fex4x12[Paused both ways]

B2]DB Inc-30’sx8,55’sx6,80’sx8,6,6 [that pause is nuts]

TRX circuit of scarecrows, tri extensions and curls-3x10’s

Ab circuit of Pallofs, spiderman pushups and planks- 2 sets

Got as drunk as I’ve probably been in a decade on Sat, slept like shit last night, had to be at school at 7 am and still had a good workout. I’ll take it.

This shit JAMS-

In for the old fart gains. JK (kinda).

CS

[quote]CSEagles1694 wrote:
In for the old fart gains. JK (kinda).

CS[/quote]

Haha, hopefully I can find the fountain of youth and take a sip. Honestly bud, if I can still dunk and bench 225 for 10+ when I’m 35 I’ll be content. That’s damn near 5 years from now. Task at hand is to get some of this strength I lost back.

30 is old?

[quote]kpsnap wrote:
30 is old? [/quote]

To a 17 year old it is haha.

CS

[quote]CSEagles1694 wrote:

[quote]kpsnap wrote:
30 is old? [/quote]

To a 17 year old it is haha.

CS[/quote]

In this here greenhorn’s defense, I’m a beat up 30. So he’s half right at least.

Lookin’ like I’ma have to switch to M/T/TH/F due to work and school. Wanted to lift between work and school but forgot my clothes and by the time I got home time dried up, so went after class which put me there about 9;15-ish. Shot around for a bit, played a game of 21 then-

Hangclean-135x3x5 [ss’d with kneeling jumps], 155x3,190x3x3 [Felt pretty smooth]

ATG Squats- barx5,95x5,135x5,155x5,205x5,3*,3 [* I have to walk out of the rack to get atg. Eyeballed it and thought on the 2nd set I’d be good if I just took one step and stayed in. WRONG. Hit the the preset pins on every rep and it threw me off, so racked it at 3 and did one more walk out set]

RFESS-BWx8, 40’sx2x8
legcurls + calves

For some reason my back has been crazy tight lately. Cut everything a set short due to this and the fact that it was damn near 10:45 and I have to be up early manana. Need to step my time management game up, ‘cause once school starts gettin’ heavy I won’t be able to wing it like today.

Good to see you logging again bro. I’m jelly of your hang clean.

[quote]scj119 wrote:
Good to see you logging again bro. I’m jelly of your hang clean.[/quote]

Thanks mane. For some reason my knee problems didn’t take too much off the cleans [think the most I’ve done is 235-245 for 3], but my squat is light years from where it was. Hopefully I can get it back to respectable levels [repping 3 plates atg] before too long.

Was rushed so had to drive to the gym and didn’t do any foamrolling or mobs. Chgged a small low carb redbull, then-

A1]Weighted chins-lp-60x2x10,120x8,bwx6, +55x5,4,3,3
A2]DB Bench-30’sx2x10,50’sx8,70’sx6,90’sx10,8,8,8 [HUGE improvement over last week]

B1]DB Rows-50’sx?,85’sx3x10
B2]Standing neutral db press-30’sx?,50’sx9,8,8

Circuit of ext roatations, rope pd’s and hammer curls-3-4x12

circuit of atomic pushups oblique crunches and regular crunches-2x10

Been having really good workouts lately, specifically this week. Despite the fact that I’m slightly stressed about school and am working like a dog, everything seems to be clicking. I attribute it to an otherwise stress free environment and the fact that I’m POUNDING food. I do feel like my db pressing is starting to eclipse my bb pressing. In the past when I was benching 2 plates for 6-8, I was hitting the 90’s for 8. Today I got an easy 10 on the first set, and I’d say I could get 2 plates for an ugly 5 right now. Guess all things considered it’s a good problem to have. The semester’s over on Dec. 16th and I WILL be benching AT LEAST 235 for 5 by then.

Also,

Well, the log title is definitely accurate. Not sure what or how I did it, but walking to my truck after class yesterday got this really weird pain shooting down my low back, then it felt like my low back “disconnected”. It hurt like hell the rest of the day [though I slept fine], and it is KILLING today. Currently on the front end of a 10 hour shift on my feet [awesome], then gonna try and foamroll and mob til it feels good enough to lift. Plan was to play a little ball, then powercleans, some kind of squat, back raises and sprints. We’ll see how far I have to deviate from that, but I’m gettin’ in there come hell or high water.

Had to stay late Friday, so went in yesterday and did-

A ton of mobility work

Powercleans- 135x3x5

ATG’s- 135x3x5

My back was still all janky so I didn’t want to push. Still, getting in there and doing something was better than nothing I reckon.

Had to work a short shift today [8-noon], and after rode bikes with a buddy for about 2 hours in the Houston heat. Got some lunch, came home and took a nap, drank a suger free redbull on the drive to the gym-

Foamroll, mobs, lower back stuff, leg swings

Bench-barx2x15,95x8,135x6,185x4,215x5,5,4,4 [Pretty good. Was pretty spent after the ride, but this is still an improvement. Goal of 235x5 is getting closer every week.]

B1]TRX Rows- BLx8,SLx6,FEx4x12
B2]Paused inc db]32.5’sx8,55’sx6,80’sx8,7,6

TRX circuit of scarecrows, tri extensions and curls-3x12 [The pump from these is unreal. Making a fist is difficult afterwards.]

Circuit of pallofs, spiderman pushups and planks- 2 sets

Good workout. Had a goal going in of getting all sets at 5, but the ride took it out of me. Who’s to say either way if I’d have gotten 'em without it. Either way, this is still an improvement, and I’m still making progress. I need to not get greedy and make small, consistent gains instead of trying to blow it out and fuck myself up [again].

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

Haha, hopefully I can find the fountain of youth and take a sip. Honestly bud, if I can still dunk and bench 225 for 10+ when I’m 35 I’ll be content. That’s damn near 5 years from now. Task at hand is to get some of this strength I lost back.[/quote]

Do you think remaining a monster into your 40’s is over rated?

Or do you genuinely realize that you have been hurt before and may easily re-injure yourself again?

I’m asking because I enjoy a lot of your posts, you’ve been doing this a lot longer than I have, and you’re 9 years older than me. I’m just curious about your philosophy on training.

(oh yeah, I’m following btw)

[quote]krazykoukides wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

Haha, hopefully I can find the fountain of youth and take a sip. Honestly bud, if I can still dunk and bench 225 for 10+ when I’m 35 I’ll be content. That’s damn near 5 years from now. Task at hand is to get some of this strength I lost back.[/quote]

Do you think remaining a monster into your 40’s is over rated?

Or do you genuinely realize that you have been hurt before and may easily re-injure yourself again?

I’m asking because I enjoy a lot of your posts, you’ve been doing this a lot longer than I have, and you’re 9 years older than me. I’m just curious about your philosophy on training.

(oh yeah, I’m following btw)[/quote]

Posting from my phone so sorry of this is jumbled.

I think being a “monster” at the expense of your health( at any age) is retarded. I’ve kind of been forced into the realization that I’m not bulletproof, and that I need to pay attention to what my body is saying. When I was younger, if something hurt I’d call myself a pussy and push through. Years of that led to the problems I’ll be dealing with for the rest of my life. That’s a long time (hopefully), and most of 'em were pretty easily avoided if I’d have just paid attention.

So, now I read articles by Dan John, Cressey, Gentilcore, Wendler, Bruno, etc… 'cause what they write applies to me. I still want to be strong and look good, but I also don’t want to need a walker by my 50’s.

I feel my goals are pretty modest and definitely attainable, just gotta not rush it. Still have 3 full months. If I get one before, I’ll readjust. If I don’t, I’ll just keep pluggin’. Life’s too short to sweat the small stuff.

Sorry for the novel. Hope this answered your questions. Be easy brother.

Ps. If there’s one thing you get from all of this, I hope it’s “listen to your body”. You only get one, bud. Take care of it.

EDIT: Just realized that through all that ^^^ shit, I didn’t answer your question on training philosophy. For me, I’ve always made my best progress when I train 3-4 [tbt or upper/lower]days a week focusing on the bench, squat, weighted chin and clean for multiple sets of relatively low reps. The lower the reps, the more sets are needed [within reason, obviously]. Keep failure to a minimum, and always try to progress on something. Keep assisstance work in the 8-15 range and base it around building weak areas/main lifts. Do something athletic [basketball, football, ultimate frisbee, whatever] a couple days a week. Get oustide and get fresh air and sunshine as often as possible. Mind aches and pains. Foamrolling is optional, mobility work is mandatory. Whenever I’ve trained like this, I’ve made progress. Whenever I try something else, I don’t and usually wind up burnt out and injured. And,whatever you do, read everything you can by Dan John and Jim Wendler. They’re hands down the two best authors here, and there information is invaluable.