T Nation

Flameout and My Blood Test Done

Hello,

I’m taking Flameout for months now, as far as I remember since more than a year. At start it was just 4 caps per day (2 in the morning and 2 in the evening). Since 5 months at least, I take 8 caps per day, 4 at the end of the breakfast, and 4 after my evening meal. That is 6g of EPA plus DHA per day.

I just have my blood test done, and below are the results for cholesterol :

• total cholesterol : 2g/l
  • HDL : 0.42g/l (should be between 0.40 and 0.60)
  • LDL : 1.45g/l (should be lower than 1.60)
  • tryglicerids : 0.65g/l (should be lower than 1.50).

Are these good results ? Omega3 fatty acids are supposed to up the HDL (good cholesterol) and to decrease LDL (bad cholesterol). While the values are ‘OK’, I would have expected a higher HDL value and a lower LDL one.

I’m currently on the Anabolic Diet, and thus am eating an avereage of 3 eggs per day.

Of course I will check these results with my doctor soon, but I wanted your input about these if possible. Should I take more caps of Flameout for optimal health benefits ?

Thanks you in advance.
Regards,
Guillaume.

[quote]guillaume76 wrote:
Hello,

I’m taking Flameout for months now, as far as I remember since more than a year. At start it was just 4 caps per day (2 in the morning and 2 in the evening). Since 5 months at least, I take 8 caps per day, 4 at the end of the breakfast, and 4 after my evening meal. That is 6g of EPA plus DHA per day.

I just have my blood test done, and below are the results for cholesterol :

• total cholesterol : 2g/l
  • HDL : 0.42g/l (should be between 0.40 and 0.60)
  • LDL : 1.45g/l (should be lower than 1.60)
  • tryglicerids : 0.65g/l (should be lower than 1.50).

Are these good results ? Omega3 fatty acids are supposed to up the HDL (good cholesterol) and to decrease LDL (bad cholesterol).

[/quote]

Actually, fish oil has mixed results on cholesterol levels. Sometimes it has been shown to reduce LDL, or raise BOTH HDL and LDL. Fish oil’s main effect on lipid profiles is to reduce triglycerides, and yours are nice and low.

Men typically have lower HDL than women due to less estrogen and estrogen’s positive effect on HDL, but you’re right - this could be higher for you.

Monounsaturated fats such as good olive oil, and exercise are the best ways to bump up your HDL.

[quote]

I’m currently on the Anabolic Diet, and thus am eating an avereage of 3 eggs per day.[/quote]

Good! How long have you been doing the Anabolic Diet? What is your fat breakdown on the AD? Are you following it stricly according to plan, or are you getting a balance of fats?

[quote]

Of course I will check these results with my doctor soon, but I wanted your input about these if possible. Should I take more caps of Flameout for optimal health benefits ?

Thanks you in advance.
Regards,
Guillaume.[/quote]

You’re getting enough Flameout.

How long have you been on the AD?

How long have you been exercising?

What type of exercise do you do? How frequent?

Green Tea, Phytosterols, good monounsaturated oils such as extra virgin olive oil and macadamia nut oil and intense exercise are all good things to support lower LDL and higher HDL.

Thank you for your answer !

Yes my triglycerids level is indeed fairly low, and what isn’t tested in this blood test is my blood pressure checked by my doctor, which was 11-6 (that’s how it’s mesured in France). My Cardiac pulsation was 50/minute (relax state only, it is higher otherwise).

I am on a diet since 5 months, started as low-carb with one ‘cheat-meal’ a week, and took the AD way since 3 months (with the two carb loading days, 36h precisely for me). I simply check that I do not eat more than 30g of carb per day, and that my lipid intake is enough (~140g minimum for me). I am not obsessed by the details and the macro nutriment breakdown.

I was exercising 4 days a week following Thib’s program “Destroying Fat”. Currently, I am exercising 5 days a week, I have added one Martial Art day in the middle, and I have replaced the leg day by a very intense HIIT of 45mn, in a room with people and one ‘teacher’, with music and all.

I went from 20.1% of Body Fat to 12.7%, and I’m still reaching my max in various exercises (such as bench press), so i’m confident I’ve kept my force and most muscles.

I’m also taking since recently REZ-V and more recently Superfood. Health is my number one priority, beyond even muscles :slight_smile:

Thank you for the tips, I will try to add virgin olive oil to my diet, that should be easy :slight_smile:

Regards,
Guillaume.

You’re welcome, man.

5 months is a very short amount of time. If you keep up your good habits, I think your blood work will continue to improve nicely.

Keep up the good work.

Good morning Guillaume,

For information,how old are you?
I am 22 and have had my blood lipids tests performed recently so we could maybe compare.

Thank you, for sure I will :slight_smile:

@Balboa
I am 26 years old, soon 27, for 1m76 tall and currently 156lbs (was 176lbs).

You can post your blood work results as well in this post, also mentioning what supplements you take, that could be helpful and interesting for some readers.

Regards,
Guillaume.

Dude, blodd tests blow those numbers out of the water (in a bad way).

I was you were going to say that your Choleserol and tric. levels were alot lower and you have ben taking Flameout to help get you there.

I hope this will happen for me but I won’t go to the Dr. unless my chest really hurts or something…

@Guillaume.

As I told you I am 22. I went off from 7 months of AD in December.

My current sups are whey, casein, creatine and fish oil (wish we had Biotest in France… I have to stick with Scitec meanwhile). Fish oil:4 caps a day (216EPA/144DHA per cap).

My blood tests:

Cholesterol Total: 1,27 g/l réference: below 2
HDL-C: 0,72 g/l réference: > 0,55 (if >60: cardiovascular protection)
Tryglicerides: 0,37g/l réference: 0,4 to 1,6
Creatinine: 10,5 g/l référence: de 8 à 15

Any comments would be appreciated :slight_smile:

Hello,

I come back from my doctor. I’m a little confused now :slight_smile:

On one hand he told me that my values are normal, I do not need any drugs, nor do I need to adjust my diet (by the way he doesn’t know it!). On the other hand, he told me that if I want to try to improve my HDL and to decrease my LDL, I would have to throw out everything I’m eating : fat/red meat, cheese, no more than 5 eggs a week, etc…

While I’m not at risk and do not need any major lifestyle modification, if I anyway want to improve my HDL and decrease LDL, his advices tell me to stop AD, which I do not want.

What do you think about his diagnosis ?

I was thinking to add virgin olive oil, and why not coconot oil if I can found it. I heard too about CoQ10 helping to fight bad effect of LDL.

I’m not in a medical need to treat cholesterol, but I want to improve my health as much as possible. Any comments will be appreciated :slight_smile:

@Balboa
I’m french too and I’m ordering from Biotest with Fedex. However it will cost you 40-50? more that you will have to pay when receiving the package.

You blood work results are far better than mine, and you take a lot less Omega3 ((216EPA/144DHA x 4 = 864+576 = 1.44g per day). What are you generally eating : veggies, olive oils, others ?

Regards,
Guillaume.

[quote]guillaume76 wrote:
Hello,

I come back from my doctor. I’m a little confused now :slight_smile:

On one hand he told me that my values are normal, I do not need any drugs, nor do I need to adjust my diet (by the way he doesn’t know it!). On the other hand, he told me that if I want to try to improve my HDL and to decrease my LDL, I would have to throw out everything I’m eating : fat/red meat, cheese, no more than 5 eggs a week, etc…

While I’m not at risk and do not need any major lifestyle modification, if I anyway want to improve my HDL and decrease LDL, his advices tell me to stop AD, which I do not want.

What do you think about his diagnosis ?

I was thinking to add virgin olive oil, and why not coconot oil if I can found it. I heard too about CoQ10 helping to fight bad effect of LDL.

I’m not in a medical need to treat cholesterol, but I want to improve my health as much as possible. Any comments will be appreciated :slight_smile:

@Balboa
I’m french too and I’m ordering from Biotest with Fedex. However it will cost you 40-50? more that you will have to pay when receiving the package.

You blood work results are far better than mine, and you take a lot less Omega3 ((216EPA/144DHA x 4 = 864+576 = 1.44g per day). What are you generally eating : veggies, olive oils, others ?

Regards,
Guillaume.

[/quote]

Guillaume,

First, let me say that I am not a doctor.

With that said, you will find there is a good deal of conflict between traditional medicine (medical doctors) and alternative medicing, especially regarding cholesterol.

Most medical doctors will tell you to avoid fats, especially saturated, and focus more on fruits and vegetables to improve blood lipids.

However, there is a growing body of evidence piling up in favor of diets such as The Anabolic Diet which focus on minimizing carbs, while increasing consumption of all fats, for improving lipid profiles.

You will need to weigh the evidence both for and against both ways of eating to make your decision.

Personally, I follow a low carb, moderate fat, high protein diet most of the time, and have done so for a few years now.

My blood work continues to improve. As of my last check up, my levels were:

Value Range My Measured Level
CHOL ***** 184
TG 0-150mg/dL 49
HDLD 40-60mg/dL 87.9
CRPH 0.00-7.47mg/L <0.20
LDL < 130mg/dL 86.3

If I were you, I would continue to follow the AD while incorporating more good fats like EVOO into your diet. 6 months, to a year from now, I would obtain blood work and expect an improvement. If there is no further improvement, you can reevaluate your diet.

Thank you very much for you reply NewDamage, it is very much appreciated :slight_smile:

Indeed there is conflicting point of views between medical world and real world.

For instance my doctor says that Omega3 are just sold by people willing to make money, that they are not really useful. However in the real world, I had for years an occasional inflammation to my right knee, caused by certain type of exercises (e.g : leg extension, or running a long time). With a dose of 4 caps of Flameout, it completely disappeared and never appeared again. Of course it’s even better with 8 caps of Flameout.

The AD really fully fits my lifestyle, ‘tight’ diet while the week, and being able to socialize on the week-end. It is the only diet I’ve tried that is a pleasure to follow, and not a nightmare. Having read what you said, I will continue as usual.

I have already bought extra virgin olive oil, I have to get used to it’s taste though, not that easy :wink:

I was thinking like you about blood work, improving my diet right now and doing another blood work in 6 months or so.

Thanks again for your very valuable input.

Regards,
Guillaume.

The total amount of fat you eat, whether high or low, isn’t really linked with disease. What really matters is the type of fat you eat.
From Harvard School of Public Health:

The “bad” fats?saturated and trans fats?increase the risk for certain diseases. The “good” fats?monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats?lower disease risk. The key to a healthy diet is to substitute good fats for bad fats?and to avoid trans fats.

Although it is still important to limit the amount of cholesterol you eat, especially if you have diabetes, dietary cholesterol isn’t nearly the villain it’s been portrayed to be. Cholesterol in the bloodstream is what’s most important. And the biggest influence on blood cholesterol level is the mix of fats in your diet?not the amount of cholesterol you eat from food.

I am not a doctor but have read a mountain of evidence that you really need to increase your unsaturated fats in proportion to your saturated if you want to improve those numbers.

Very interesting link. The full article can be viewed from :
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/fats-full-story/index.html

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
Guillaume.

Thanks for the copy/paste…

I think some things are quite surprising on this study (e.g: cooking and baking with canola oil).

@guillaume:

Here is my current meal plan:

Meal 1: 100g oats + 3 eggs + 1 kiwi + 1 cap fish oil

Meal 2: (Lunch): Veggies (all types), olive oil, apple cidar vinegar, protein source (usually salmon, red meat or poultry; all cooked in coconut oil)+ 1 cap fish oil

Meal 3: 100g almonds / nuts + 80% casein 20% whey shake

Meal 4 (Dinner): 150g fish or steak or poultry + Veggies + 3tbsps olive oil + apple cider vinegar + 1 cap fish oil

Meal 5: 30g casein + 3caps ZMA + 1 cap fish oil

I train in the afternoon, 1hour after Meal 3.

my PWO being 30g whey isolate + 10cl full milk + water + 5g creatine.

When I do cardio (approx 2x/week I usually up my carbs and have a 20%P/55%G/25%L ratio.

When I don’t train I split my creatine intake on meal 2,4 and 6.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your contribution New Damage, it is very interesting;

I did stop eating red meat for a year approximately 2 years ago.

Hello,

I instantly noticed one big difference between your diet and mine Balboa : you do eat daily olive oil + coconut oil + nuts/almonds while I do not at all. Granted I have the fish oil, plus other vegetable oils, but not what you eat.

I already started taking one soup spoon of extra virgin olive oil in one meal per day, but I did not find coconut oil to my local supermarket.

It is now obvious that I had some polyunsaturated fat, but not enough mono-unsaturated fats. I will fix that rather quickly.

Regards,
Guillaume.

Coconut oil tends to be hard to find at supermarkets unless your at a specialty one. I know vitamin shoppe sells it in their weight management section if there is one near you.

Hello,

I bought to my local supermarket extra virgin olive oil and apple cider vinegar (both BIO). I had to order however virgin coconut oil (cold pressed) on the Internet.

I have them all, below are the dosage I’m taking currently :

• every morning 3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar (in water)
  • every morning 10g of virgin coconut oil
  • every evening 1 soup spoon of EVOO spread on my meal

I do not count the other supplements I’m taking, such as Flameout, Superfood, REZ-V, etc…

Is this enough ? Should I take more ?

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Guillaume.