Flameout Alternative?

Apparently the website I found it on had it for really expensive :wink: — So Flameout is cheaper per day than that. Flameout came to like 1.44 and the other product ended up at 1.7 something I think. Apparently you can get it for cheaper though.

The source is a very conservative (re: supplements) berkeleywellness newsletter. That page is available to subscribers only. I’d like to clarify myself on why I just copy-pasted only the precautions part, while leaving out a much bigger piece that talks about positive sides of O3. While everyone is jumping on Omega-3 bandwagon (rightfully so), as usualy people forget that there are some possible contraindications and precautions

[quote]The decreased ability of the blood to clot, which helps prevent heart attacks, has a negative side, notably an increased risk of hemorrhagic stroke. People with bleeding disorders, those taking anticoagulants, and those with uncontrolled hypertension should not take fish oil supplements.
[/quote]
I don’t think this was mentioned in Flameout article, while it’s more or less the only strong contraindication.

[quote]Large doses of fish oil may suppress the immune system. Thus, supplements may be risky for those with weakened immune systems. What’s a “large dose”? One definition is 3 grams or more a day, but no one really knows what the cutoff point is.
[/quote]
This is for those who believe that more is always better. Not necessarily. When Omega-3 were used to treat bi-polar (stabilize mood), the response to treatement worsened with very high doses. And if a memory doesn’t fail me, 8gm of fish oil was considered to be “very high”, which comes out to 2400mg of EPA/DHA at regular concentration.
th.

[quote]The supplements may contain contaminants and may not contain the labeled dose. A recent test by Consumer Reports of top-selling supplements was reassuring on both counts, even for the least expensive brands, but that doesn?t mean that the next batches will be okay?or that other brands on the market are. Last year a test by ConsumerLab.com found no detectable levels of mercury in 20 fish-oil supplements, but did find that some brands didn?t contain the labeled amounts of omega-3s.
[/quote]

In this piece you can see how conservative, yet maybe realistic, this newsletter is about supplements. To me this says that most fish-oil supplements are free of mercury and I assume other heavy metals (which get eliminated during the same purification process), which reduces “uniqueness” of Flameout, especially given that it come in >1400mg pills.

As for DHA/EPA ratio, Flameout is 2.5:1 just as CL.

Both Flameout and CL have 2.5:1 ratio of DHA:EPA.

[quote]Marmadogg wrote:
skor wrote:
False. Flameout if 37c/gram of EPA/DHA, while CL is 24c/gram (if it’s $10 for 120 500mg pills).

Since when was Flameout! created for EPA+DHA content?

Re-read the article and get back to me.

“It’s (Flameout!) the first one designed with men in mind, containing a much higher amount of DHA than EPA.”

Not EPA + DHA…

Linky for your reading pleasure:
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=910074[/quote]

[quote]skor wrote:

interesting, what are your sources on this?

The source is a very conservative (re: supplements) berkeleywellness newsletter. That page is available to subscribers only. I’d like to clarify myself on why I just copy-pasted only the precautions part, while leaving out a much bigger piece that talks about positive sides of O3. While everyone is jumping on Omega-3 bandwagon (rightfully so), as usualy people forget that there are some possible contraindications and precautions

The decreased ability of the blood to clot, which helps prevent heart attacks, has a negative side, notably an increased risk of hemorrhagic stroke. People with bleeding disorders, those taking anticoagulants, and those with uncontrolled hypertension should not take fish oil supplements.

I don’t think this was mentioned in Flameout article, while it’s more or less the only strong contraindication.

Large doses of fish oil may suppress the immune system. Thus, supplements may be risky for those with weakened immune systems. What’s a “large dose”? One definition is 3 grams or more a day, but no one really knows what the cutoff point is.

This is for those who believe that more is always better. Not necessarily. When Omega-3 were used to treat bi-polar (stabilize mood), the response to treatement worsened with very high doses. And if a memory doesn’t fail me, 8gm of fish oil was considered to be “very high”, which comes out to 2400mg of EPA/DHA at regular concentration.
th.

The supplements may contain contaminants and may not contain the labeled dose. A recent test by Consumer Reports of top-selling supplements was reassuring on both counts, even for the least expensive brands, but that doesn?t mean that the next batches will be okay?or that other brands on the market are. Last year a test by ConsumerLab.com found no detectable levels of mercury in 20 fish-oil supplements, but did find that some brands didn?t contain the labeled amounts of omega-3s.

In this piece you can see how conservative, yet maybe realistic, this newsletter is about supplements. To me this says that most fish-oil supplements are free of mercury and I assume other heavy metals (which get eliminated during the same purification process), which reduces “uniqueness” of Flameout, especially given that it come in >1400mg pills.

As for DHA/EPA ratio, Flameout is 2.5:1 just as CL.[/quote]

thanks for clearing that up, i guess the only difference is that flameout has CLA, im going to compare and see if i notice any difference in my elbow which has frequently recurring bursitis. if not, im going to stick with CL fish oil. its cheap and easy to get.