Fixing the Ghetto

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
tom63 wrote:

Check the party leadership in these areas, I mean which party they belong to. For years. Unopposed. And then you’ll have your answer.

Are you just going to say, “This is the democrat’s fault” and leave it at that?

Try thinking out of the box for a second.[/quote]

How do you think outside the box when one political party and their ideas have been so dominant that there was no other way to do anything. Some of these ghettos are in cities that have had literally no republican mayors int he last 100 years.

The ghettos have been a failure so long, what makes you think the same party will fix it.? What, with cool slogans such as change?

My attitude as poor as it is, I don’;t live there and will never live there and did not vote for those who have enacted these policies, so why should I give a damn?

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
tom63 wrote:

Check the party leadership in these areas, I mean which party they belong to. For years. Unopposed. And then you’ll have your answer.

Try thinking out of the box for a second.

Honest to god, I’m with irish on this one. Sometimes it’s time to shut the hell up about political parties and actually discuss issues.
[/quote]
It is impossible to implement certain issues with one party control tot he degree that is is. the average ghetto has been so predominatly democratic, usually over 90% of the time and it has not gotten better.

What makes you seriously think that suddenly there will be some problem solving spirit of lets fix this in a bipartisan manner? Especially when so much of the problem is a lack of personal responsibility.

You take drugs? Rob? Try to get better gradesand succeed after high school?

I did. I also never robbed, sold drugs, did a drive by, or a mugging. I never got a gal pregnant and abandoned her and the child. You will see certain leaders in these communities blame the problems on white racism. the big bad boy who you can never pin down.

It’s a lack of personal responsibility combined with a government that basically said the behavior is okay. You fund something, you get more ot it.

[quote]jawara wrote:
I really dont think the ghetto will ever get fixed. I think that because alot of the people in it don’t actually want to do what they have to do to leave. Home schooling would be a great idea but I really don’t think to many stay at home moms on welfare really give a shit about taking there childs education in their hands and fixing it. We (my mom and I) got out of the ghetto when I was about 9. Greastest thing she ever did for me. Just my 2 cents.[/quote]

smells like the war on drugs , I also am a survivor of the Ghetto

Which is my 2 cents

[quote]tom63 wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
tom63 wrote:

Honest to god, I’m with irish on this one. Sometimes it’s time to shut the hell up about political parties and actually discuss issues.

It is impossible to implement certain issues with one party control tot he degree that is is. the average ghetto has been so predominatly democratic, usually over 90% of the time and it has not gotten better.
[/quote]

Except that a lot of these problems are caused (or more likely, exacerbated by) federal policies that Republicans had a lot to do with. Th War on Drugs is the biggest example. Free trade is next. As the head of the longshoreman’s union says in season two, “You know what the problem is Brucie? We used to make shit in this country, build shit. Now we just put our hand in the next guy’s pocket.”

ghettos did exist before the current drug laws existed…

We need ghettos. Those are the places that are the last holdouts of non conformists to current dominant culture.

Fence it off. Quit pouring money in to it. Check back in a few years, remove the skeletons, level the buildings and build a nice park.

Some people just suck at life. They fail every where, usually due to not trying and ignoring opportunities, and wind up in the ghetto. That’s why the ghetto sucks. It’s a neighborhood full of people who suck. It falls apart because nobody gives a shit to fix it or themselves. “It is what it is.” Fuck that. It is what it is because they don’t care to make it something else.

You can’t change these people. A few maybe but most have had ample opportunity to do something positive and pissed it away.

Take the kids though. 12 and younger. They still have a shot. Then fence it off and quit pouring money in.

Problem solved.

[quote]jawara wrote:
I really dont think the ghetto will ever get fixed. I think that because alot of the people in it don’t actually want to do what they have to do to leave. Home schooling would be a great idea but I really don’t think to many stay at home moms on welfare really give a shit about taking there childs education in their hands and fixing it. We (my mom and I) got out of the ghetto when I was about 9. Greastest thing she ever did for me. Just my 2 cents.[/quote]

Bingo.

[quote]tom63 wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
tom63 wrote:

How do you think outside the box when one political party and their ideas have been so dominant that there was no other way to do anything. Some of these ghettos are in cities that have had literally no republican mayors int he last 100 years.

The ghettos have been a failure so long, what makes you think the same party will fix it.? What, with cool slogans such as change?

My attitude as poor as it is, I don’;t live there and will never live there and did not vote for those who have enacted these policies, so why should I give a damn?

[/quote]

Start by proposing an idea rather than pointing a finger.

[quote]matsm21 wrote:
ghettos did exist before the current drug laws existed…[/quote]

Very true, but before our current drug laws blacks couldn’t drink out of the same water fountains as whites. The current war on drugs was Nixon’s response to the civil rights movement and the antiwar movement. The government needed a way to control these groups and what better way than through mass incarceration. Drugs weren’t made illegal cause they were dangerous it was because of the groups of people who used them.

[quote]Gambit_Lost wrote:
tom63 wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
tom63 wrote:

Start by proposing an idea rather than pointing a finger. [/quote]
The problem with proposing an idea to the ghetto is that no matter how good or practical it is, it won’t be put in to practice.

People got to or stayed in the ghetto because they didn’t act on good ideas. Or went the other way completely and acted on poor ideas.

The ghetto is the ghetto because proposed solutions and ideas have been pissed on and ignored. Kind of a catch 22.

[quote]Rocky101 wrote:
matsm21 wrote:
ghettos did exist before the current drug laws existed…

Very true, but before our current drug laws blacks couldn’t drink out of the same water fountains as whites. The current war on drugs was Nixon’s response to the civil rights movement and the antiwar movement. The government needed a way to control these groups and what better way than through mass incarceration. Drugs weren’t made illegal cause they were dangerous it was because of the groups of people who used them.

[/quote]

Like highly educated professionals?

I’ve moved around a lot and made friends with people from Watts, Casablanca, Wattsonville, La 89, Zona Norte, EastLos, South Central, Compton, etc.

I’ve met a bunch of families that have lived entire generations in the hood. Said families have worked harder and sacrificed more to provide for their own than anyone I know. They aren’t the exception either. I think they’d object to being fenced off and sentenced to death. Too many people assume that those in the ghetto fucked themselves… problems of this scale are never that simple.

[quote]nopal_juventus wrote:
I’ve moved around a lot and made friends with people from Watts, Casablanca, Wattsonville, La 89, Zona Norte, EastLos, South Central, Compton, etc.

I’ve met a bunch of families that have lived entire generations in the hood. Said families have worked harder and sacrificed more to provide for their own than anyone I know. They aren’t the exception either. I think they’d object to being fenced off and sentenced to death. Too many people assume that those in the ghetto fucked themselves… problems of this scale are never that simple.[/quote]

True. And it takes a certain amount of non judgementalism and freedom from stereotypes to see that. Not much of that here. Come to think of it, not much of that in most of human populations :frowning:

I’ve met a bunch of families that have lived entire generations in the hood. Said families have worked harder and sacrificed more to provide for their own than anyone I know. They aren’t the exception either. I think they’d object to being fenced off and sentenced to death. Too many people assume that those in the ghetto fucked themselves… problems of this scale are never that simple.[/quote]

That’s kind of where I’m going. These are the responses of a lot of people that just don’t care.

And it’s funny, because it will stay like that until one of their middle/upper class rich asses is driving through the ghetto and gets caught by a stray. Then there will be a big outcry as to “How people can live like this, what are the cops, government, etc. doing to help…”

So really the only solution that the Politics board can come up with is “Fuck them, they deserve it.”

Man. That’s disappointing. The depth of thought here is not what I thought it would be.

[quote]Sifu wrote:
If it weren’t for the war on drugs those corner kids would have to think of another way to make it in life other than becoming dealers.

If they weren’t fighting over drug turf those neighborhoods would be a lot safer.

If young fathers weren’t being hauled off to jail for a couple of decades at a time there would be less broken families.

Ending the war on drugs is not the only solution but it would be a good starting point. Because right now it is turning ghetto neighborhoods into a war zone.

People who have their lives together well enough that they can afford to live somewhere better usually leave. So all that is left in those areas tends to be people who are dysfunctional.

Metropolitan Detroit is like this. Back in the 50’s, 60’s, 70’s they had the white flight where all the whites who could moved out into the suburbs. Then in the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s the blacks with job skills started moving across 8 mile into suburbs like Southfield. [/quote]

How would you end the war on drugs, aside from decriminalizing them?

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
nopal_juventus wrote:

I’ve met a bunch of families that have lived entire generations in the hood. Said families have worked harder and sacrificed more to provide for their own than anyone I know. They aren’t the exception either. I think they’d object to being fenced off and sentenced to death. Too many people assume that those in the ghetto fucked themselves… problems of this scale are never that simple.

That’s kind of where I’m going. These are the responses of a lot of people that just don’t care.

And it’s funny, because it will stay like that until one of their middle/upper class rich asses is driving through the ghetto and gets caught by a stray. Then there will be a big outcry as to “How people can live like this, what are the cops, government, etc. doing to help…”

So really the only solution that the Politics board can come up with is “Fuck them, they deserve it.”

Man. That’s disappointing. The depth of thought here is not what I thought it would be.[/quote]

So, what was the proper response? Double the amount of money being spent for the War on Poverty?

Who gives a fuck. The ghetto is rife with crime, drugs and shit. There may be a few diamonds in the rough where intent is concerned who are either too stupid to better their situation or don’t care too.

Dishwashers work hard but not smart. Aspire for something a little better and put all those hours at work to better use making more money.

If we lose some good ones along the way, it’s a sacrifice for the greater good. Even if they are good people on principle, chances are they utilize social security in some way and regardless of their intentions they are a burden on society. Fuck 'em.

What ghettos needs are intact families. For a child to escape a cycle of poverty (and violence), having mommy and daddy married and living together is the greatest thing they could have going for them. The truly poor are the least able to afford libertine lifestyles.

[quote]Sloth wrote:
What ghettos needs are intact families. For a child to escape a cycle of poverty (and violence), having mommy and daddy married and living together is the greatest thing they could have going for them. The truly poor are the least able to afford libertine lifestyles.[/quote]

All the dads are in jail on drug charges.