T Nation

Fixing Stability in Shoulders

I started throwing javelin this past outdoor season, and when I started lifting this summer I noticed that my throwing arm seems more flexible. I don’t have any pain in the shoulder (aside from doing upright rows, which I’ve stopped), but I want to try to start off next year with good shoulder health.

The real problem seems to be that my shoulder girdle sits a little higher on my throwing side - my other side tucks back more naturally, so if i pull my shoulder blades back the throwing side is higher. It’s really noticeable during overhead squats so I cut them out, but I also notice it when I’m setting up for bench and doing bent rows.

I read the shoulder saver articles over, and noticed that I don’t do much work for the antagonists of my upper traps (I tend to do a lot of power snatches). Also, I thought if I went through the stretching matrices in supertraining I could come up with a stretching program, but should I alter my lifting program a lot? I’ve been hesitant to start throwing again too, I was thinking of throwing both arms over the summer.

Any input would be great - It’s only a nuisance now, but I don’t want to get sidelined later on.

[quote]andy bumphren wrote:
I started throwing javelin this past outdoor season, and when I started lifting this summer I noticed that my throwing arm seems more flexible. I don’t have any pain in the shoulder (aside from doing upright rows, which I’ve stopped), but I want to try to start off next year with good shoulder health.[/quote]

Because you are an overhand throwing athlete you are going to have some side to side asymmetry and differences in mobility/flexibility in your shoulder girdle, which is normal.[quote]

The real problem seems to be that my shoulder girdle sits a little higher on my throwing side - my other side tucks back more naturally, so if i pull my shoulder blades back the throwing side is higher. It’s really noticeable during overhead squats so I cut them out, but I also notice it when I’m setting up for bench and doing bent rows.[/quote]

Without actually seeing you in person it’ll be some guess work when trying to tell you what is causing this, but my best guess is that you have a tight right side levator scapulae and/or trapezius.[quote]

I read the shoulder saver articles over, and noticed that I don’t do much work for the antagonists of my upper traps (I tend to do a lot of power snatches). Also, I thought if I went through the stretching matrices in supertraining I could come up with a stretching program, but should I alter my lifting program a lot? I’ve been hesitant to start throwing again too, I was thinking of throwing both arms over the summer.

Any input would be great - It’s only a nuisance now, but I don’t want to get sidelined later on.[/quote]

It would help you to do stretches such as this one:

http://tinyurl.com/27k3y9

EC doesn’t recommend that overhand throwing athletes do bench presses, but that’s his opinion and some coaches still do. If anything, It’d be best for you to learn to bench press with an elbows tucked form as opposed to the elbows flared bodybuilding technique. You should be able to move more weight this way and it’s better for glenohumeral health.

You’ll want rowing movements and certainly chin ups in your programming.

As far as changing your training program goes: we have to see it to know if you should to change it any! So post that here when/if you get the time and I’m sure you’ll get some better advice!

Thanks for the advice -I didn’t think that my right side might be too tight, but that makes more sense. When I do that stretch I really only feel it on that side so I think you’re probably right.

[quote]andy bumphren wrote:
Thanks for the advice -I didn’t think that my right side might be too tight, but that makes more sense. When I do that stretch I really only feel it on that side so I think you’re probably right.[/quote]

No problem!

The articles here about shoulder health are great. I wrote one too - it’s nothing special, but it has some pretty good photos: http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=265

Here’s a pretty raw video I shot about scapular mobility work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y949Vl0Y8o

Good Grief, Boris!

Where did you come from?

*The Squat Rx series
*Articles
*Shoulder Health
…all great, by the way…

Are you a physiology student maybe?
PhD candidate?

We need a thread titled:
“Who is Boris Bachmann”

:wink:

[quote]Boris B wrote:
The articles here about shoulder health are great. I wrote one too - it’s nothing special, but it has some pretty good photos: http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=265

Here’s a pretty raw video I shot about scapular mobility work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y949Vl0Y8o [/quote]

Thanks Paul! I really appreciate that.

I’m a high school teacher and S&C coach.

[quote]Boris B wrote:
Thanks Paul! I really appreciate that.

I’m a high school teacher and S&C coach.[/quote]

High School?!
High School!?!?!

Is the training facility featured in your Squat Rx series at a high school?

My high school “weight room” had a “Universal Machine,” one bench…and I swear I can’t remember if we even had a squat rack…I kind of doubt it though.

…Of course, that was a hundred years ago.

(yeah, I look good for my age…well preserved, they say)

Okay, I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread…

:wink: