T Nation

Fixing Rhomboid Imbalance?

Hi,

I tried searching but couldn’t really find anything on how to go about fixing imbalances.
According to my masseur I have less mass in my left rhomboid, and I would like to fix it.

Two questions then

1. how do I set up training to fix that specific imbalance
  2. how to generally go about fixing imbalances, I think in general my left side is weaker than the right side.

Thanks for your help

I would have to guess you have two problems:

1. Not enough strength altogether. In which case you should begin a resistance training program where you build strength in your core, back, legs, etc. I don’t think trying to isolate a particular part of this muscle is feasible or would solve your problem.

2.Some kind of mobility issues such that the way you perform everyday functions is imbalanced. In which case you should search for some shoulder, spine and hip mobility work. Read all the articles by Cressey and Robertson and probably spend a few dollars on some of their programs. Having been to some physical therapists to work on hip mobility, you could do a lot better on your own. I think Magnificent Mobility is like $50, which would be less than half of a PT session anyway.

[quote]LiamBrady wrote:
I would have to guess you have two problems:

1. Not enough strength altogether. In which case you should begin a resistance training program where you build strength in your core, back, legs, etc. I don’t think trying to isolate a particular part of this muscle is feasible or would solve your problem.

2.Some kind of mobility issues such that the way you perform everyday functions is imbalanced. In which case you should search for some shoulder, spine and hip mobility work. Read all the articles by Cressey and Robertson and probably spend a few dollars on some of their programs. Having been to some physical therapists to work on hip mobility, you could do a lot better on your own. I think Magnificent Mobility is like $50, which would be less than half of a PT session anyway.[/quote]

Thanks for the input, I think you are right in thinking it is a strength AND mobility/stretching issue.

Some background maybe called for, at 40y of age I weigh about 100kg with fat to lose. I have been lifting quite regularly for the past 1,5years (2-4 times a week) mostly using some kind of full body routine (e.g. been using several of Waterbury’s routines) and I am not totally without strength, when I do dumbbell rows I use a 31kg dumbbell now. 1rm maxes for Bench at 100kg, Dead lift at 180kg and Squat (below parallel) I have not tried a one rep max on, but it is likely to be at approx 150kg based on a calculator.

So still a beginner in that sense and that’s why I would like to correct my most obvious imbalances now.
The thing is I just don’t know HOW to fix it, I understand that the smartest way to fix an imbalance is to use unilateral exercises e.g. dumbbells, but do I do

• equal amount of sets and/or reps for both sides or;
  • extra sets for the weaker side or/and;
  • different weight on each side or;
  • just train one side only (the weaker)
    Should I stretch the antagonist before or after or both? e.g Pecs I suppose in this case.

Maybe walk me through how to do it with dumbbell rows assuming an only somewhat weaker but mass wise a lot smaller left side?

Not trying to be difficult, just can’t find the information.

Thanks again,
-C

You seem to be on the right track. Waterbury’s programs are pretty balanced.

Are you having health issues over it? If not, i wouldn’t worry about it.

Shoulder health is a huge thing to build into a program anyway. Look up the archive articles by Eric Cressey. He definitely has some pec stretching and shoulder health columns.