T Nation

Fixing Metabolic Rate

Is it true after long periods of dieting and then for the most part slowly, increasing your intake or staggering it and then consistenly intaking more than you burn increase your metabolism?

In other words, if you exercise everyday, weight lift three times a day and just eat for the most part healthy, but in extreme amounts, even if you gain fat, is your metabolism getting faster and faster?

[quote]friedrice683 wrote:
Is it true after long periods of dieting and then for the most part slowly, increasing your intake or staggering it and then consistenly intaking more than you burn increase your metabolism?

In other words, if you exercise everyday, weight lift three times a day and just eat for the most part healthy, but in extreme amounts, even if you gain fat, is your metabolism getting faster and faster?[/quote]

Stop being so fucking psycho about gaining fat. Your metabolism is fine. Chill.

No I don’t care about fat at this point.

I cared about fat until today’s Cross Country practice. All the kids I thought were complete sticks HAD more meat on them than I thought and then the kids that I thought were retardedly skinny I thought looked gross. So I decided that I just want to be healthy and plus, I am only 15 years old I shouldn’t care what my physique looks like unless I am morbidly obese.

But for over three months time, a while ago, I only consumed 1,000- calories a day, then over the summer I didn’t do much better I realize, I only ate 1800-2000 while running 4+ miles a day and lifting for almost 2 hours.

After a year of for the most part, with the exception of maybe 2-5 days a month , I was in negative calories. So my metabolism must still be stunted.

I just want to know for general knowledge, if you just eat frequently and a lot with exercise, even if you put on fat, is your metabolism increasing?

Yes metabolism chases intake. you need to quit the over analysis in your case eat More on a consistant basis gain weight any weight and your metabolism will rise.

Even if you gain nothing but fat your metabolism will rise. Fat is not free to keep it on you it requires energy = food. Dont eat you lose it. Muscle even more so as its more expensive. Couple that with your body starting to run right again, more energy, etc yes you’ll burn more.

Eat, lift, have fun be a kid your 15 friggin years old.

Phill

you’re 15, running cross country, and lifting. if i were you, i would be stuffing my face constantly. your energy expenditure is going to be extremely high and your body definitely needs more calories than your currently consuming. i ran track and cc for several years and putting in 70+ miles a week gave me permission to pretty much eat anything and everything possible. did i get fat? fuck no. the calories i put down didn’t stand a chance. these are issues you need not be worried about at this point in your life. eat your ass off and train hard. oh yea, be a kid too.

I’m having binge problems though…tonight after my two plates of London Broil and vegetables I collapsed
Like 3-5 cups of Frozen Yogurt
4 or so slices of small cake
and 2.5 brownies

YEEK! But I met a really nice water polo kid who ate just like me! He was 20lbs heavier, but seemed like pure muscle and all he told me was that he was just like me when he came to the school, he started working out insanely and now he eats 8,000+ a day and doesn’t get fat. Of course he does have some flub, but he also benches 190 which I think is good for 150lbs. I told him about my problem and he said he is going to eat every meal with me too, he ate along with me tonight which I think was really cool caus it made me feel less guilty. But he encouraged it too lol! He told me to go get the cake and we would split it, and then brownies, and then he talked about how we should go workout a lot together and be badass lol

But yeah, I’m cleaning up my diet of all that junk, I put on my desktop pictures of bodybuilders and am telling myself if I am still hungry after what I have given myself, go back for MEAT and not the sweets!

Also my entire table caved in and enjoyed in on the sweets, even the kids who swore they wouldn’t, but still…I ate like 1,500 calories of pure sweets and junk

Good thing my workout was only an hour before or it would be 100% fat gain lol

I threw out the scale too, that thing effing lies, my waist has stayed the same despite my 7lbs gain. I am just gonna keep lifting heavy, working out like a dog and eating like a hobo at a buffet.

Only clean xD

Thanks guys, I am starting to feel like my old self again, an actual kid

I’m having binge problems though…tonight after my two plates of London Broil and vegetables I collapsed
Like 3-5 cups of Frozen Yogurt
4 or so slices of small cake
and 2.5 brownies

YEEK! But I met a really nice water polo kid who ate just like me! He was 20lbs heavier, but seemed like pure muscle and all he told me was that he was just like me when he came to the school, he started working out insanely and now he eats 8,000+ a day and doesn’t get fat. Of course he does have some flub, but he also benches 190 which I think is good for 150lbs. I told him about my problem and he said he is going to eat every meal with me too, he ate along with me tonight which I think was really cool caus it made me feel less guilty. But he encouraged it too lol! He told me to go get the cake and we would split it, and then brownies, and then he talked about how we should go workout a lot together and be badass lol

But yeah, I’m cleaning up my diet of all that junk, I put on my desktop pictures of bodybuilders and am telling myself if I am still hungry after what I have given myself, go back for MEAT and not the sweets!

Also my entire table caved in and enjoyed in on the sweets, even the kids who swore they wouldn’t, but still…I ate like 1,500 calories of pure sweets and junk

Good thing my workout was only an hour before or it would be 100% fat gain lol

I threw out the scale too, that thing effing lies, my waist has stayed the same despite my 7lbs gain. I am just gonna keep lifting heavy, working out like a dog and eating like a hobo at a buffet.

Only clean xD

Thanks guys, I am starting to feel like my old self again, an actual kid
[/quote]

Atta boy…

I am glad to see you are taking my advice about the homeless man at the all-you-can-eat… I know how it feels to be paranoid about everything… cuz I went through the same thing… losing a lot of weight and then trying to make sure every single little calorie and parts of my diet were in line and it really effected other, more important, things in my life… Just keep lifting and eating… and dont get to ahead of yourself… just think, in about 5 years of you being this active through lifting and eating… you iz gonna be pretty buff my friend…

Take it easy and let the muscle grow and the good times roll…

Peace

J.P.

Ok so it wasn’t that bad that I ate like 1500 fucking calories of pure sugar :(?

I promising myself right now that if I am going to eat any more sweets, I will schedule them appropriatley.

I just don’t want to go back to my old physique, there was a reason I lost all that weight in the first place, and I just don’t want to look like I did then.

But I am gonna try following Massive Eating Reloaded to the best of my ability seeing as how I have evening classes.

Also, should I do a 5 workout-split or just keep it 3 days of 2 upper body and 1 lower body?

Stop stressing about the so-called binging.

Is your tape measure showing rapid gut expansion (and I don’t mean one day in a row while you happen to have food in process).

Also, should I do a 5 workout-split or just keep it 3 days of 2 upper body and 1 lower body?[/quote]

Less thinking more doing pick one and do it.

No my tape measurer is still stuck at the 26.75ish mark

Sometimes it is 27, others it is 26.5, I think maybe just from where I’m holding it, but my waist isn’t changing.

My gut looks a little bit more “flabbier” as in it doesn’t look just flat, but then again my waist size hasn’t gone up.

I was gonna go weigh myself this morning without a thing on my stomach which I haven’t done in a month, but then decided not to because it doesn’t matter, I know I’ve gained weight and I know my waist has stayed the same so it doesn’t matter.

Today starts my Massive Eating Reloaded, I’m gonna give it a try.

Thanks again guys

also, what’s considered binge eating disorder just so I know if I do have it or not >_> Caus I mean I did wolf down like half a cake, 2 brownies and like 2 pints of frozen yogurt

also, what’s considered binge eating disorder just so I know if I do have it or not >_> Caus I mean I did wolf down like half a cake, 2 brownies and like 2 pints of frozen yogurt[/quote]

Sorry bro but you still very much have some mental issues to work through that well are not best addressed on a forum.

You need to do some serious soul searching and possibly seek professional help.

Best of Luck,
Phill

I agree with Phill, but I did want to mention that you aren’t choosing foods for emotional reasons, you are eating because you are ravenous from running and working out.

Again, let me reiterate, Phill is right, and you have said you have professional help on the food front before. Discuss with that person your thoughts about what binging is versus your bodies attempts to get nutrition due to demands placed on it.

Personally, I think it points to your meal planning being off, in that your portions are generally too small given your exertion levels… which of course takes us back to Phill’s point yet again!

It is definately meal proportion because usually I eat nothing really filling at breakfast except for today. I had some scrambled eggs, a omelet with an oz of ham and like four slices of bacon. That one plate of food did the job and I wasn’t hungry until 4 hours later, something I haven’t experienced ever, not being full after eating but not hungry after four hours.

Then I had sirloin steak and spanish rice, two plates of that and I was still a little hungry but told myself, I still have 3 meals left to eat. Then 20 minutes later I was full! lol

Then I had a multi-grain harvest protein bar before running, then after running an apple. Then for dinner they served tacos so I just had the taco meat and beans. I had a healthy serving of both until full with 4oz of Turkey Breast and now I am satisfied but not full, nor hungry.

Hopefully I can continue this without any wanting for sweets at all, because tonight I must say I was thee only one who did not have cheesecake or pizza in that dining hall, I felt good :slight_smile: