T Nation

Fixing Diet For a Vegetarian Teen Girl

OK, the woman forum failed me.

So, this girl I know wants to start eating healthy and all that shit. She used to have some eating problems and says that she used to eat 500 calories a day for some time, so her metabolism is probably a bit fucked right now.

Everything is fair game except for things that have ever breathed. Fish is fair game but she doesn’t like it, so I doubt she’d eat it. She also won’t eat eggs plain; they have to be in something.

Can you guys please help me compile a diet for her? She’s 16, 5’5’’ and like 130lbs or something.

So far, her diet has been something like
breakfast: apple
lunch: skip or granola bar
dinner: rice and veggies
She says she eats nuts throughout the day, but that’s still barely any protein or healthy fats.

thank you

i would say make the breakfast bigger, such as: add a protein shake to it.

(before I start I would like to point out I am semi-vegetarian: eat seafood, eat eggs, eat dairy, and eat game)

Try and find meat replacements not made from soy.
See if there are other ways of eating fish she may like. (baked or BBQed are my favourite)
Try other seafood on her (baby octopus, scallops, prawns etc…)
Get her to hardboil eggs, cut in half, scoop out the yolk, then mix yolk, avacado, lemon, salt and pine nuts and then to put them into the gap where the yolk was (no guarentee she will like it, but it’s not too eggy)
Quish may be the best bet. You can put whatever else you need to put in (vegetables, etc) and contains a lot of egg without being plain egg
Lasagna with a lot of cheese (basically use cheeses to make up the bulk that the meat would take) works.

Tell her to stop whining and eat some goddamn eggs for breakfast and some goddamn fish for dinner.

…goddammit.

[quote]LiftSmart wrote:
Tell her to stop whining and eat some goddamn eggs for breakfast and some goddamn fish for dinner.

…goddammit.[/quote]

Great because that works soo much of the time

Sounds like a spoiled little brat to me.

She’s doing it for the attention.

If she’s 130-ish @ 5’5" - she’s lying to you about 500 calories a day…unless she used to weigh like 175, or something.

I wouldn’t waste my time.

[quote]rainjack wrote:

If she’s 130-ish @ 5’5" - she’s lying to you about 500 calories a day…unless she used to weigh like 175, or something.

I wouldn’t waste my time.[/quote]

She just might be a fool. There are a lot of fools out there.

One girl I work with keeps offering me carb foods despite having been told on numerous occasions that I am eating next to no carbs right now.

I had to explain to her what crackers are made of the other day. Then later that same day I had to point out that Certs are made up completely of about three different types of sugar. How can you not taste the sugar in that and think carbs?

Those are just a couple examples.

By “eating problems before” do you mean an eating disorder? There are plenty of women and girls out there who go vegetarian, because they still have an eating disorder. They believe it allows them to “eat” while being able to still get deals on clothes by shopping at GapKids… By the amount of food intake you report it sounds like she has an eating disorder which needs to be addressed first.

Eating Disorder!

If you can get her to add in more nuts, whole grains and legumes. That would balance out her protein intake. Also, soy probably wouldn’t be the worst option here, at least in small amounts.

You really cannot be a healthy vegetarian and eat only processed crap. She need to eat more whole foods and try and get some protein and healthy fats in there.

The problem is that apple for breakfast. All that fructose is just ruining her.

a 50 calorie breakfast ? does she want to starve to death ?

Vegetarianism can be difficult depending on the preferences of the individual. Energy intake is a real issue here, increasing the energy and nutritional density of her meals should be the first priority.

Some useful protein options include:

Whole grains + Legumes (beans, lentils: these dont have to be consumed at the same meal)
Grains + dairy (see above)
Quinoa
Hemp
Buckwheat

Also, when cooking, protein supplements can be added to sauces to increase nutrient content, particularly, pea protein is good for this.

She will also need to be careful to include foods rich in Iron, vitamin D and Calcium. Supplementation maybe warranted for her to reach her micronutrient requirements.

Don’t forget B-12 too.

Not too hard to do really. Get her familiar with indian food. It’s basically, lentils, whole wheat, beans, and every vegetable imaginable.
For protein sources, there is paneer i.e. indian ricotta, yogurt, eggs as a stuffing or mixed with the veggies, kidney beans.

Apart from this a good whey shake and she should be hitting her protein requirement.

beans, lots of beans…(main protein source for vegans…)

get avacados into her diet…

Big ass salads with veggies…

Get the b12 gum to chew on during the day…

crap loads of fruits…

Tell her to eat meat. FFS humans are made to eat both vegetables and meat.

Meat may be murder, but it’s tasty, greasy murder too.

I just ate some country style ribs… mmmmmm tasty

[quote]gabex wrote:
I just ate some country style ribs… mmmmmm tasty[/quote]

Damn fucking right.

Meat ftw!

[quote]rainjack wrote:

Agreed.

[quote]rainjack wrote:

You bring up something I have thought for years. I went to a college with a bunch of spoiled little girls who’s daddy did not pay enough attention to them and they wanted everyone to notice their “eating problems”. If they truly had a problem they would not tell everyone about it and they would not have those damn muffin tops.
If we weren’t intended to eat meat God would not have given us the cow!!!