Fixing 'Banana Rolls'

Hi guys,

This is my first time posting, though I love love love the forum and have found it to be so incredibly motivating. I have a question regarding that awful sagging butt issue (some people call them banana rolls, ugh ugh ugh). I’ve made an assumption and I wanted to ask whether it’s correct or not.

I’ve found if I contract my glutes, my butt lifts nicely and the banana roll temporarily disappears. When I release the contraction, the sag reappears. Does this mean that with the right exercises and build-up of muscle I can eliminate them to look like they do in the contraction? If this sounds confusing, I’ve attached a pic (left side is the sag - right side is when I tense my glute).

I travel heavily so I’ve been putting together a bodyweight workout for myself that I can do anywhere based on what I’ve learned in these forums, with extra attention on my glutes based on the Youtube video “Get a Round Juicy Bubble Butt From Home No Equipment!” - It’s basically a collection of various squats and lunges. I personally LOVE the idea of using my own bodyweight (and props that are small and easy to travel with).

PS: I’ve gone from 210lbs to 135lbs and I’ve started doing yoga 5 times a week. I’m now ready and excited to tackle weight bearing exercises to get some definition and toning so I can look decent in a bathing suit (I’m much too umm… ripply… at the moment!).

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks SO much in advance!

Big congrats on your weight loss success!!! Going from 210 to 135 is PHENOMENAL!! WHOOT!

About bringing up your glutes, you can absolutely build muscle there and it will make everything look higher and tighter. Rounding up your glutes won’t completely take care of lax skin or cellulite, but putting more muscle under there will absolutely give you a younger looking booty.

There was a recent Girls Gone Strong article called 5 Awesome Glute Exercises You Aren’t Doing Yet that might be helpful. A couple are BW, or with bands that you could do while traveling.

Some Single Leg exercises are pretty challenging, even at BW. I’m thinking things like Bulgarian Split Squats and Lunges that you can do with an ottoman or chair, Glute Bridge work, etc… Also, you could think about investing in a KB or two to swing. You may reach a point where you need to access heavier weights, but most women can do a lot with BW moves, IMO.

Best of luck!!

Thank you Powerpuff, so much!

I checked out the article you mentioned. I LOVE the “Leg Back and Foot Elevated Bottoms-Up Hip Thrust” and started doing them lowering almost to the ground between reps. I’m also going to the store to get some resistance bands - so small, they even fit in a coat pocket.

I’m gonna look 1/2 way decent in a bathing suit if it’s the last bloody thing I do! :slight_smile:

[quote]winterrose wrote:
Thank you Powerpuff, so much!

I checked out the article you mentioned. I LOVE the “Leg Back and Foot Elevated Bottoms-Up Hip Thrust” and started doing them lowering almost to the ground between reps. I’m also going to the store to get some resistance bands - so small, they even fit in a coat pocket.

I’m gonna look 1/2 way decent in a bathing suit if it’s the last bloody thing I do! :-)[/quote]

Oh, you’re very welcome! You’ve obviously got some serious dedication so I have a feeling you’ll do great.

The getting over your disordered eating is the hardest for most of us, and you seem to have that figured out. Now that you’ve lost the weight, this will be the year for firming everything up and building some muscle.

Nice to talk to you, and best of luck!

This has been a favorite glute building video here. I know you’re focused on BW moves you can do while traveling, but you’ll eventually work up to some of these with heavier weight. I’ll put it here as inspiration. BTW, the high step-ups can be done on a low wall or bench at the park without weights.

1 Like

Powerpuff, thank you! I’m a very firm believer in the power of the mind to accomplish anything, including changing your body. I had been overweight all my life and one day, I saw a fantasy art picture by Boris Vallejo (he does incredible illustrations!). It was the body of an enchantress and I decided I really wanted it.

I made 200 photocopies (some laminated) and literally pasted it everywhere around the house - in the bathroom, fridge, freezer, bedroom, shower, pantry… I literally saturated my mind and my intention with that image and infused my entire day with thoughts of it. I ended up losing the entire 75 lbs in 3 months. No dieting really, I just ate masses and masses of vegetables and fruits that were high in water content.

Protein came from free range eggs and lentils (I"m a vegetarian, though not vegan), and fats came from coconuts, coconut oil, and avocado. The weight literally fell off. But now I need to work on firming up flabby muscles :slight_smile:

Thank you very much for the video. It blows me away how “simple” and unassuming the lady in the video makes it all look (well, I suppose being a glute Goddess, that shouldn’t be surprising :slight_smile: She literally makes it seem like she is lifting soup cans… inspiring. But, she definitely has the peachy butt I’m trying to emulate so I will definitely memorize the video :slight_smile:

Hi all! i see that this post is from 2 years ago. I have the same problem and have been trying to fix it for 4 years to no avail. If anyone has any tips or advice to help me i would really grateful!

Lamisa

I thought this was going to be a recipe.

1 Like

A lot of what Puff said awhile back is good advice.

If you are a bit past that and find that bodyweight movements arnt doing the job, you may need to introduce weights. I’m a firm believer that to build appreciable amounts of muscle you need to lift heavy weights. Especially for women.

Congrats on your awesome progress!! You should be totally proud of yourself.
I saw a great article on this site recently and if I come across it again I’ll tag it, basically showing proof that the “basic girl” booty exercises are the best at seeking gains in the glutes. Essentially, Squats and deads and leg press are great at adding leg strength, but size and individual glute muscle building is done doing glute bridges and donkey kicks and the like. While the article reflects its own proof in the studies done showing actual greater stimulation of those muscles doing those exercises, I can see through my own use how those exercises encourage full contraction of the glutes individually, versus the compound lifts, to increase glute size and strength, and believe in its efficacy. The benefit of this being it also fits into your travel limitations with workouts. Resistance bands are great, I would also continue to utilize dumbbell and barbell work when available too. Good luck!