Since people in this forum actually care about their overhead presses...
While I've already gotten some great advice, I'm having a lot of trouble implementing it.
Here's a heavy (for me) single:
And a lighter AMRAP set, that shows my form breaking down:
There are two big things that stand out to me:
1. my low back arches significantly
2. as the weight gets heavier, I press the bar too far out in front of me
I used Z Presses for awhile, hoping that would help with the hyperextension. While I got better at Z Presses, they didn't translate well to helping my standing press.
A couple ideas I've gotten, but haven't done a great job at using are:
- work up to a heavy overhead squat once a week, and use this to help train positioning (via Alpha)
- use zercher goodmornings and/or reverse hypers (via CT) although I'm not really sure how to do these right
- keep the elbows more in front of the bar (via Alpha and T3hPwnisher)
Anyway, looking for feedback, advice, suggestions. I know there's a lot of room for growth.