Fixing a Pec Imbalance

what do uou do if 1 pectorial is much bigger than the other? How do you fix the imbalance

Stop barbell bench pressing and start using dumbells.

It is highly unlikely that you have a muscular imbalance.

It is likely you have (in order)

1. Shoulder issue (forward shoulder capsule, shortened pec minor)

2. Chiropractic issue (pelvic or spinal torsion, basically #1)

3. Nerve issue affecting muscle. You would likely see similar imbalances on the same side.

If it’s serious I would start with Cressey’s Neanderthal No More articles, and talk to a chiro. I would compare ranges of motion on both sides and do self rotator cuff tests. You would likely find something right there, tight subscap, internal rotation… I’d be willing to bet your shoulders are different heights in a mirror, and your pelvis isn’t level. Those would be big clues.

In short, crooked pelvis: (read cressey), see a chiro.
Just inhibited shoulder motion: learn about trigger points, foam rolling, or get ART.

[quote]LastIDnotworking wrote:
It is highly unlikely that you have a muscular imbalance.

It is likely you have (in order)

1. Shoulder issue (forward shoulder capsule, shortened pec minor)

2. Chiropractic issue (pelvic or spinal torsion, basically #1)

3. Nerve issue affecting muscle. You would likely see similar imbalances on the same side.

If it’s serious I would start with Cressey’s Neanderthal No More articles, and talk to a chiro. I would compare ranges of motion on both sides and do self rotator cuff tests. You would likely find something right there, tight subscap, internal rotation… I’d be willing to bet your shoulders are different heights in a mirror, and your pelvis isn’t level. Those would be big clues.

In short, crooked pelvis: (read cressey), see a chiro.
Just inhibited shoulder motion: learn about trigger points, foam rolling, or get ART.[/quote]

This is a perfect response that should be referred to anytime someone talks about pec imbalances.

Unfortunately, I had this exact problem. As a result I haven’t been able to train for the past month and a half (advice from chiropractor).

The problem has got better, since I haven’t trained, my shoulder flexibility has inreased a lot, i can contract my pec a lot easier than before. However it still feels off, a tension is still in my left pec toward the armpit area, and my shoulders/hips are still not level.

This is all a result of me carrying a 15kg bag to college every day for a month on my right shoulder. It through my shoulders out of alignement, and my hips, this then would of pushed a nerve out of place.

My chiropractor basically got me an upper back massage and cracked my spine every session, so i stopped going - not worth $68 for half an hour.

hopefully after I read Eric Cressey’s articles I will be able to fix the rest of the problem.