Fixed High Blood Pressure On TRT

Hi Guys,

I had a thread running for a while about how to combat high blood pressure on TRT and since it became a few pages long while looking for the solution, I wanted to post how I solved the issue. Hopefully this helps a few of you.

Recap: I was on 180mg of test cyp (watson) a week and my BP got jacked up to about 140-150/85-95. This was scary and the last thing I wanted to do was drop test. My TT injecting 180 a week (divided between two shots) was around 700-800 so it wasn’t incredibly high to cause high blood pressure.

I initially thought it could be an issue with the cypionate ester so I opted to try propionate.

My solution:
I started doing just 120mg of testosterone cypionate every 5 days and switched to cyp from a compounding pharmacy that used grapeseed oil instead of cottonseed oil. BAM my BP dropped SUBSTANTIALLY! My body actually absorbs the test better, as I am on the same dose and my test is now about 800-900 TT throughout the week.

Supplements:
CoQ10

9g fish oil a day

I eat beats every single day (clinically proven to lower BP up to 15 points for over 24 hours) You can also juice them if you are into that

Vitamin D3 every day

My BP is now 123/73 and my total testosterone is higher than it was previously.

Also, clearly you should avoid simple sugars and stimulants as they both jack up you BP.

HOPE THIS HELPS!

Did you try less T while still using T cypionate?
Statin drugs? If so, Ubiquinol form of CoQ10 might be better.

KSMan: I tried going down to 100mg on my watson cypionate and it was still through the roof. I must be allergic or sensitive to the cottonseed oil.

The second I switched to grapeseed based cypionate (from the watson cottonseed), my BP dropped to normal levels. I even tested for a few weeks taking 200mg a week to see if it was forsure the new carrier oil and my BP is perfect now.

Mine was fixed on TRT as well. Usually I found it would get high again when my E2 would get above 44, so after adding in an AI things got much better for me and I am fairly consistently around 120/80

Thats great to hear. I previously thought I would have to lower my dose extremely low but was glad to find out it was just a carrier oil issue.

What a crazy coincidence.

About 5 weeks ago, I suffered from what I thought was a low grade flu. It lasted about a week and a half and was accompanied by chills, cold sweats, some mild asthma, sore neck and back, and terrible fatigue. About 3.5 weeks ago, the symptoms would come and go and it became obvious is was correlated with my shots. I inject on M, W, F and 24 hours after each shot, I would get terribly fatigued again and lay under the covers shivering. Within 8 hours it would go away. During this time, I never had a fever but there was redness around the sight of my SQ injections and the redness would spread in an amorphous way.

Last week, I looked at my test from a compounding pharmacy and it says it’s in cottonseed oil. I call the pharmacy and they said they recently switched; previously they had used sesame oil. I called my doc, told him what I had found and after telling me how dumb I was for waiting so long to tell him, he called in a new script to a new pharmacy.

Apparently, cottonseed oil allergies are not uncommon - the protein responsible is very closely related to the peanut - and the first known case of food anaphylaxis was caused by cottonseed oil inoculations given to soldiers in the early 1900s.

OP: your increase in BP could very well be an allergic response to the cottonseed oil.

<------------ Not an MD.

JamesWhittaker,

Before going on trt, my blood pressure was in the high normal range. Since being on trt, it has gone way up. I have been on Watson cypionate for almost all of the 17 months I’ve been on trt. The Watson cypionate I use has cottonseed oil. Could it be possible that the cottonseed oil is causing my high bp? Any ideas how I could check to see if that’s the cause?

I was put on lisinopril about 3 months ago for high bp, and it caused really bad fatigue. So bad that I felt like I did before trt. I just got switched to a new bp med, so I’ll see how this goes. I’d love to be off bp meds if all that’s causing high bp is cottonseed oil.

Any suggestions anyone?

Hey James,

Thanks for posting about this. My bp stats are pretty close to yours. Before hrt I was always right around the 120/80 ish range. I inject every other day with the 29 insulin syringes and take .25 of ai every other day too. My test is in the 800 range and my estradial was 19 the last time I had blood work.

For the past 6 months or so my bp has been creeping up to where its around 140/90 ish now and has me concerned. The interesting part for me is when I first went on test, about a year and a half ago, I was getting the Pfizer brand from Costco, my bp went up a little, but nothing in the range it has bee lately. My last 2 vials of test have been Watson as my Costco wasn’t able to get it for some reason and I went over to Sams Club. As all of you know Watson uses cotton seed oil as the carrier, and I’m pretty sure Pfizer does too. I don’t know if there are any other differences between these brands.

After reading your post I called my doc and asked to do the compounding test with grape seed oil. If this is the solution, just switching formulations is such an easy fix. I too am happy with my results on hrt and don’t want to quite. I picked up my new prescription yesterday and had my first shot with it this morning. I’m hoping the grape seed oil test is the solution to lowering my bp back down to normal.

Here’s my question for you – How long did it take for you to see your bp start to go down? A week, 2 weeks, a month? Please post up and give us a time line for this. Thanks for sharing your experiences with this issue as it may be a huge benefit to many of us who would have never made this connection. Looking forward to hearing back from you on your time line. Thanks!

Wow very interesting. I’m glad you figured out what the problem was!!

[quote]Gossamer wrote:
JamesWhittaker,

Before going on trt, my blood pressure was in the high normal range. Since being on trt, it has gone way up. I have been on Watson cypionate for almost all of the 17 months I’ve been on trt. The Watson cypionate I use has cottonseed oil. Could it be possible that the cottonseed oil is causing my high bp? Any ideas how I could check to see if that’s the cause?

I was put on lisinopril about 3 months ago for high bp, and it caused really bad fatigue. So bad that I felt like I did before trt. I just got switched to a new bp med, so I’ll see how this goes. I’d love to be off bp meds if all that’s causing high bp is cottonseed oil.

Any suggestions anyone?[/quote]

Yes I was on Watson with cottonseed oil and without a doubt that was the reason for my high blood pressure. I would recommend calling compound pharmacies and looking for one that mixes with grapeseed oil (or asking them to do so) and seeing if it makes a difference in your levels.

Also, high blood pressure is no joke. Do anything in your power to get it down. Start incorporating 20-30 min high intensity interval training cardio 4 times a week, try cutting out gluten/dairy (I’m not one of those hippies but these both cause inflammation in the body and I have seen many people conquer high BP by eliminating them), cut out simple sugars and see where your BP is at.

Should definitely improve.

[quote]Scott1258 wrote:
Hey James,

Thanks for posting about this. My bp stats are pretty close to yours. Before hrt I was always right around the 120/80 ish range. I inject every other day with the 29 insulin syringes and take .25 of ai every other day too. My test is in the 800 range and my estradial was 19 the last time I had blood work.

For the past 6 months or so my bp has been creeping up to where its around 140/90 ish now and has me concerned. The interesting part for me is when I first went on test, about a year and a half ago, I was getting the Pfizer brand from Costco, my bp went up a little, but nothing in the range it has bee lately. My last 2 vials of test have been Watson as my Costco wasn’t able to get it for some reason and I went over to Sams Club. As all of you know Watson uses cotton seed oil as the carrier, and I’m pretty sure Pfizer does too. I don’t know if there are any other differences between these brands.

After reading your post I called my doc and asked to do the compounding test with grape seed oil. If this is the solution, just switching formulations is such an easy fix. I too am happy with my results on hrt and don’t want to quite. I picked up my new prescription yesterday and had my first shot with it this morning. I’m hoping the grape seed oil test is the solution to lowering my bp back down to normal.

Here’s my question for you – How long did it take for you to see your bp start to go down? A week, 2 weeks, a month? Please post up and give us a time line for this. Thanks for sharing your experiences with this issue as it may be a huge benefit to many of us who would have never made this connection. Looking forward to hearing back from you on your time line. Thanks!
[/quote]

Yes, give grapeseed oil carrier based cyp a try!! Please keep me updated with your results as this really interests me. I was in the same position where TRT increased my quality of life so much I couldn’t imagine giving it up, even over high BP. I’m beyond glad I got it under control.

I do injections every 5 days so it took about a week in a half to 2 weeks to get it under control. It was always the worst 1-3 days post injection.

Do yourself a favor immediately. Start drinking two cups of beet juice every day (1 in am 1 in pm) and I 100% guarantee your systolic BP will go down substantially within 2-3 days. You get the benefits almost immediately and they last for 24-48 hours after each cup.

Additionally, if you take stimulants, stop now. Pre-workouts without a doubt jack up my BP to astronomical numbers. More than 1-2 cups of coffee daily can in some people as well.

Interested to hear how everything goes and good luck to you!

1 Like

[quote]JamesWhittaker wrote:

[quote]Gossamer wrote:
JamesWhittaker,

Yes I was on Watson with cottonseed oil and without a doubt that was the reason for my high blood pressure. I would recommend calling compound pharmacies and looking for one that mixes with grapeseed oil (or asking them to do so) and seeing if it makes a difference in your levels.

Also, high blood pressure is no joke. Do anything in your power to get it down. Start incorporating 20-30 min high intensity interval training cardio 4 times a week, try cutting out gluten/dairy (I’m not one of those hippies but these both cause inflammation in the body and I have seen many people conquer high BP by eliminating them), cut out simple sugars and see where your BP is at.

[/quote]

I called around and only found one compounding pharmacy that could use something other than cotton seed oil. They said they could use sesame oil. The cost would be double ($9 a week, as opposed to $4 a week now). But if sesame oil will bring down my bp, then I’m all for it. I just don’t know if sesame oil will help as opposed to grapeseed oil.

Here’s an update on my switch to the grape seed oil test. My last shot with Watson cotton seed oil test was last Friday. So, it’s been about a week since then. I used the grade seed oil test for the first time 2 days latter on Sunday. I administer eod.

I gave blood the last day I did the Watson test. My BP was 137/90 and she tested it again and it was 140/90. The next Tuesday I had blood work done with my dr. and my BP was 140 ish over 88 (I forgot the exact numbers but it was over 140.

It’s now been about a week since I’ve used the Watson test. I took my BP this morning and it was 127/82. I took it a couple minutes later and got 127/73.

Besides the switch to the compounding grape seed test, I have taken a couple ounces of beet juice over the last 2 days. Its got an earthy (tastes like dirt!) taste and I took an ounce mixed with grape juice a couple times. That’s all I could handle so far. But some is probably better than none.

It’s only been a week and everything’s pretty preliminary, but those are my numbers. I’ll post up next Saturday after another week and see if it stays down or goes back up. BP seems to be a bit of a moving target and can fluctuate quite a bit from one test to the next. I’m tentatively optimistic but more time will tell. I haven’t been in the 120’s in a while so this is a positive for me. It would be great if this switch is all it takes to get back to my normal range. I’ll keep you posted where my numbers go from here.

[quote]Gossamer wrote:

[quote]JamesWhittaker wrote:

[quote]Gossamer wrote:
JamesWhittaker,

[/quote]

I called around and only found one compounding pharmacy that could use something other than cotton seed oil. They said they could use sesame oil. The cost would be double ($9 a week, as opposed to $4 a week now). But if sesame oil will bring down my bp, then I’m all for it. I just don’t know if sesame oil will help as opposed to grapeseed oil.
[/quote]

Not sure how sesame oil compares. Keep me updated if BP changes and good luck

[quote]Scott1258 wrote:
Here’s an update on my switch to the grape seed oil test. My last shot with Watson cotton seed oil test was last Friday. So, it’s been about a week since then. I used the grade seed oil test for the first time 2 days latter on Sunday. I administer eod.

I gave blood the last day I did the Watson test. My BP was 137/90 and she tested it again and it was 140/90. The next Tuesday I had blood work done with my dr. and my BP was 140 ish over 88 (I forgot the exact numbers but it was over 140.

It’s now been about a week since I’ve used the Watson test. I took my BP this morning and it was 127/82. I took it a couple minutes later and got 127/73.

Besides the switch to the compounding grape seed test, I have taken a couple ounces of beet juice over the last 2 days. Its got an earthy (tastes like dirt!) taste and I took an ounce mixed with grape juice a couple times. That’s all I could handle so far. But some is probably better than none.

It’s only been a week and everything’s pretty preliminary, but those are my numbers. I’ll post up next Saturday after another week and see if it stays down or goes back up. BP seems to be a bit of a moving target and can fluctuate quite a bit from one test to the next. I’m tentatively optimistic but more time will tell. I haven’t been in the 120’s in a while so this is a positive for me. It would be great if this switch is all it takes to get back to my normal range. I’ll keep you posted where my numbers go from here.[/quote]

Thats great to hear! Beet juice without a doubt makes a huge difference but I’m sure changing from cottonseed oil helped tremendously. If you simply google both cottonseed oil and grapeseed oil, you will see if consumed that grapeseed oil is 10000x better for you. I can imagine this correlates even more to to injecting it!

Keep me updated. I’m happy to hear you are in the 120’s as that is a perfect safe BP to have.

1 Like

Well,

I tried the sesame oil. Didn’t help. After 4 injections(2 weeks), bp is still high. I was on Lisinopril, which lowered my bp, but it caused bad fatigue. I’ve been on hczt 25mg/day, but it doesn’t lower my bp. This is getting frustrating. I only found one compounding pharmacy near me that would use something other than cottonseed. That was sesame. None use grapeseed.

I guess I’ll just have to try a new bp med.

JamesWhitaker,

I want to talk about where you get your grapeseed oil…

I have DR. prescribed, completely legal testosterone. I am trying to be as safe as possible, that’s why I’m trying to lower my bp.

Can anyone assist me? Or is it just against the rules to ask where someone gets his legal prescription?

Here is the compounding pharmacy my dr uses and I get my scripts filled:

They do ship if you are not local. Also, you can also call around to the different compounding pharmacies in your area and ask them if they do a preparation with grape seed oil. Your dr should also have a list of these pharmacies that they use on a regular basis.

[quote]Scott1258 wrote:
Here is the compounding pharmacy my dr uses and I get my scripts filled:

They do ship if you are not local. Also, you can also call around to the different compounding pharmacies in your area and ask them if they do a preparation with grape seed oil. Your dr should also have a list of these pharmacies that they use on a regular basis. [/quote]
Thanks Scott!