T Nation

Fix My Deadlift...

These are videos from today…

215kgs/475lbs x3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfNfsEcEMFc&feature=channel

180kgs/400lbs x10 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C3NVqAhsdY

Ive deadlifted like this for about a year and a half. never had any pain in the area that is rounding, but im sure its wrong and needs to be fixed.

any thoughts would be good.

There are more videos of me deadlifting on our clubs channel if you want to see more.

Thanks
Scott

bump…

i think most back injuries are either high up near the neck or low in the lumbar spine. i think those two areas arent all that bad with your form. each vetebra in the middle of the back has something like 15 degrees of movement whereas the lumbar has 3 to 4 degrees of movement. take this with a grain of salt its somewhat opinion and somewhat factual. but i say go for it! and great deads keep on tearing it up

so your saying my dead is fine?

The reason your hitching and struggling to lock is because when you get to the top your back is rounded. Fix that and you’ll find lockouts easier.

Tbh it looks like you’re soft as hell at the bottom and just trying to jerk the weight up.

As for suggestions on how to fix it… I dunno! :slight_smile:

[quote]Hanley wrote:
The reason your hitching and struggling to lock is because when you get to the top your back is rounded. Fix that and you’ll find lockouts easier.

Tbh it looks like you’re soft as hell at the bottom and just trying to jerk the weight up.

As for suggestions on how to fix it… I dunno! :)[/quote]

Soft at the bottom? What do you mean?

Im not finding lockouts “hard” as such. its the rounding i want to fix…

Scott

the guy’s voice is annoying

[quote]jasmincar wrote:
the guy’s voice is annoying[/quote]

well thats the scottish accent for you

[quote]thosebananas wrote:
Hanley wrote:
The reason your hitching and struggling to lock is because when you get to the top your back is rounded. Fix that and you’ll find lockouts easier.

Tbh it looks like you’re soft as hell at the bottom and just trying to jerk the weight up.

As for suggestions on how to fix it… I dunno! :slight_smile:

Soft at the bottom? What do you mean?

Im not finding lockouts “hard” as such. its the rounding i want to fix…

Scott

[/quote]

Watch the very first movement as you try to break the floor. Your hips come up and your back bends. You’re “jerking” in the sense that you’re not keeping a tight core and locked back and the bar only breaks the floor after your torso’s wobled about.

You might not be finding the lockout hard, but even on weights that are light off the floor (the 210’s), when it gets near the top you stall and start to hitch. This is primarily because your back is rounded out from when you started.

I understand what your saying, but i cant see it in the videos. :S the bit about the jerk…

I understand and do see what ur taking about on the lockout.

So do you think it is a core issue?

Scott

Btw who’s the kid with the long red hair??

Looks rather light and immensely strong.

Qucik solution: Back off the weight and work on keeping ur back arched through the whole lift. Then work back up on the weight while keeping form. About breraking it off the floor: bring ur hips down keep ur back arched and drive with ur legs initially.
Hanley I think you are more experienced than me so please correct me if any of this advice seems incorrect

[quote]Hanley wrote:
Btw who’s the kid with the long red hair??

Looks rather light and immensely strong.[/quote]

He competes in the 82.5s i think.

Holds a british record for bench @ 177.5kg in a shirt. not sure if its uni record or certain fed or whatever.

deads around 280, squats about the same.

We have another guy who competes in the 75s.
Benchs 110kg
squats 160kg
deads 220kg
but he only started training since november

Then theres the other big guy, the strongman.

Bench 140
Squat ~280
Dead 300

Its a good group of guys to train with. We started the club this year at uni to get funding for more equipment.

you definitely can do some good weight, and I see what you mean about the arch in your back. lowering the weight would be good so you can focus and practice on your form, that doesn?t mean however you have to cut out the high weights all together. Some exercises I use to help benefit my form are goodmornings and what I call back swings which is where I grab a plate in my hands lock my feet and hips in parallel to the ground and swing my upper body up from 90degrees up to eventually fully straighten out my body.

This will strengthen your back allowing for you to keep that tight form while you?re moving through the whole lift, these also to wonders for your squatting form. These two exercises work for me although I can’t say I lift as much as you yet… maybe soon though

I believe that some rounding of the thoracic spine is normal. I read about this somewhere maybe from Mark Rippetoe. Check out some of his stuff.

[quote]trav123456 wrote:
Qucik solution: Back off the weight and work on keeping ur back arched through the whole lift. Then work back up on the weight while keeping form. About breraking it off the floor: bring ur hips down keep ur back arched and drive with ur legs initially.
Hanley I think you are more experienced than me so please correct me if any of this advice seems incorrect[/quote]

I think this advice will help you. Even just watching your back round like that makes mine hurt!!

It looks like you have extreme kyphotic posture.
Even when you’re locked out, T-spine rounding is horrendous.

On the strength end of things, I would recommend Front Squats/Zercher Squats.
However, it’s likely that you have other more fundamental length tension postural problems.

You’re strong but only at the edge of novice potential.
I don’t think you can continue to make progress injury-free with this kind of form and posture.

I don’t know that you have a better option than to deload and fix your postural problems with concentrated mobility/stability work at this point.

I hope you find the help you need.

Toohuman

[quote]TooHuman wrote:
It looks like you have extreme kyphotic posture.
Even when you’re locked out, T-spine rounding is horrendous.

On the strength end of things, I would recommend Front Squats/Zercher Squats.
However, it’s likely that you have other more fundamental length tension postural problems.

You’re strong but only at the edge of novice potential.
I don’t think you can continue to make progress injury-free with this kind of form and posture.

I don’t know that you have a better option than to deload and fix your postural problems with concentrated mobility/stability work at this point.

I hope you find the help you need.

Toohuman[/quote]

On doing a bit of internet google research youve got me a bit worried. Are you in fact a health prefessional or are you just makeing an informed guess?

Would relaxed side shots help to diagnose this??

Scott

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
You asked my opinion as an osteomyologist with years of PT experience, so I’ll give it to you.

If I saw a person lifting lifke that in my gym, I would be STRAIGHT over to them to warn them that their technique is very poor.

The whole of your spine is rounded to the max. now some thoracic rounding is to be expected, but you have no lumbar arch and excessive thoracic rounding.

Even I can lift 200kgs, but I make damn sure my lumbar spine is positioned in neutral 0 it’s biomechanically strongest position.

I could coach this into you in about 5 minutes - if I were there, but I’m not.

BBB[/quote]

Any tips on fixing it?

Cheers for replying.
Scott