Fix My Computer

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
How bout some basics. Does the connection say it’s active, is there a connection in network properties at all? Does the NIC look OK in device manager? What does an ipconfig /all look like? Do you have a home network? If so, is it just internet access or all network connectivity.

In other words can you see your router if you have one or any of the other machines or is it offline altogether? If it’s not offline altogether, but just can’t bring up web pages in a browser, ping one and try to load it by ip address.

If that works type ipconfig /flushdns at a command prompt. Don’t laugh, but is the cable plugged in? Both ends? Maybe the cable is bad. Try another? If this is the only machine/device on this node and internet access is the only test you have maybe it’s not your computer at all, local ISP infrastructure maybe?

I wish I could go there, I’m sure I could figger it out.[/quote]

Sorry, but I don’t understand all of that.

• the cable is plugged in. When I unplug the cable, my computer shows that I’m disconnected

• I think I have a home network (bunch of computers attached to a router?) Internet works on all other computers

[quote]vision1 wrote:
I think I found the problem, but I’m not sure how to fix it.

Start → My network places → Network tasks → View network connections

So I double-click on my local area connection and it doesn’t show any activity. Under connection status it says I have an invalid IP address (IP address an Subnet mask are both shown to be 0.0.0.0). When I click repair, that fails.

I probably don’t make any sense, but does anyone know what I could do?

Thanks again[/quote]

Well with all that said, it isn’t internet explorer.

seriously, try the cable that you’re trying to connect this computer to the router, try it on another computer connected to the same router. Try the cable on a known good connection and try it on the bad connection. Then try either or both cables on the bad computer and try it on a port on the router that a good and working computer is on.

start-> right click on “my computer”
goto manage
goto device manager.
goto network adapters…is it there?
double click on it. Does it say that it is working properly?
if it does, and this is quick. right click and uninstall. Then anywhere in that window, right click and “scan for hardware changes”
The key is to check the variables.
You have a working model, change one at a time and check.