Fix My Computer

My computer isn’t working (not this one). I’m hoping someone here has a little more knowledge than I do with computers.

about a week ago, my computer froze. I turned it off, and when it started up it was messed up.

When I log onto my account (windows xp), I get this message:

Explorer.EXE - Bad image
The application or DLL C:\WINDOWS\system32\UxTheme.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.

After this it takes me to my desktop, but all there is, is a background wallpaper. Nothing else.

So I can only use taskmanager to run new programs. However, internet doesn’t work, and some programs don’t work (such as windows media player).

I tryed to do a system restore, and it looked like it was going to work, but after I restarted my computer, it didn’t acknowledge that the restore was ever performed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This error can crop up after installing an upgrade. See if pressing F8 during startup can get you into different startup options, choose “Safe Mode”; then, try to uninstall recent upgrades.

Open the Add/Remove programs Control Panel, make sure the “show updates” box is checked, and remove recent updates.

How do you know what’s recent? Go C:\Windows and check the dates on the Installed files. If you can’t see them, you’ll have to choose (from the menus at the top of the folder window) “Tools–>Folder Options…” and then click the “View” tab. Click the box that says “Show hidden files and folders”; now close this window, and formerly invisible files (such as installation files) are now visible. Choose the details view to see their dates, and start uninstalling the most recent, one at a time, and restarting.

Good luck.

[quote]TShaw wrote:
This error can crop up after installing an upgrade. See if pressing F8 during startup can get you into different startup options, choose “Safe Mode”; then, try to uninstall recent upgrades.

Open the Add/Remove programs Control Panel, make sure the “show updates” box is checked, and remove recent updates.

How do you know what’s recent? Go C:\Windows and check the dates on the Installed files. If you can’t see them, you’ll have to choose (from the menus at the top of the folder window) “Tools–>Folder Options…” and then click the “View” tab. Click the box that says “Show hidden files and folders”; now close this window, and formerly invisible files (such as installation files) are now visible. Choose the details view to see their dates, and start uninstalling the most recent, one at a time, and restarting.

Good luck.[/quote]

Thanks, I’ll try that out and report back

EDIT: How do I get to control panel? I need to run everything through:

task manager - file - new task (run…)

f8 boot into safe mode
go to dos
delete the uxtheme.dll file
reboot

windows has a file protection program that will monitor key files, and if removed it will replace them.
if that doesnt work. download or copy uxtheme.dll from another computer to a disk and copy it over top of the corrupted on. (go into safe mode on the “broken” computer before doing this)

system restore really only restores the registry and some key config files. it doesnt mess with user data or 3rd party programs…

ok if safe mode dont do squat then in task manager click - file - new task then in the create new task box type cmd and click ok. This will open the command prompt. In here type sfc (the aforementioned windows system file protection thingy. then type sfc /scannow.

If it is a corrupted or erroneous system file this will find and replace it.This should be your next port of call if safe mode dont work if this does squat then yeah use recovery console to copy the relevant .dll from a disk to the proper location. Not sure if this helps but my 2 cents good luck and let us know how you get on (I keep a record of problems and oucomes it helps me to be a more efficient geek) G’luck

[quote]blitzkrg wrote:
f8 boot into safe mode
go to dos
delete the uxtheme.dll file
reboot

windows has a file protection program that will monitor key files, and if removed it will replace them.
if that doesnt work. download or copy uxtheme.dll from another computer to a disk and copy it over top of the corrupted on. (go into safe mode on the “broken” computer before doing this)

system restore really only restores the registry and some key config files. it doesnt mess with user data or 3rd party programs…
[/quote]

I tryed deleting file, but that just changed message:

explorer.EXE - Unable to locate component
This appliation has failed to start because UxTheme.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

I haven’t tryed replacing the file yet though, I’ll try it out soon.

[quote]Tvirus wrote:
ok if safe mode dont do squat then in task manager click - file - new task then in the create new task box type cmd and click ok. This will open the command prompt. In here type sfc (the aforementioned windows system file protection thingy. then type sfc /scannow.

If it is a corrupted or erroneous system file this will find and replace it.This should be your next port of call if safe mode dont work if this does squat then yeah use recovery console to copy the relevant .dll from a disk to the proper location. Not sure if this helps but my 2 cents good luck and let us know how you get on (I keep a record of problems and oucomes it helps me to be a more efficient geek) G’luck[/quote]

I tryed running a scan but it said:

Windows file protectin could not initiate a scan of protected system files.
The specific error code is 0x000006ba [The RPC server is unavailable]

So I took UxTheme.dll from this computer and copied it to the other. This fixed alot of things. I now have all my icons again, the start menu, time, etc.

I still get the same message though, but for different files. Should I just repeat the copy for every message?

Also, my internet still doesn’t work. I did the troubleshooter on msn, and it said my problem was an incorrect IP address, but it was unable to fix the problem.

EDIT: I went ahead and copied more files. Now I don’t get any messages at all. Still no internet connection though…

Thanks for everyones help so far.

Try www.geekstogo.com cos without getting crazy and making you post “hijack this” printouts I’d recommend just doing a repair installation-all your important files will remain intact. This seems the simplest solution at his point. But try www.geekstogo.com first.

Reinstall your system. Make copies of your important files first and burn them to CD.

If you can’t start the system to do that… consider using a Live CD. Linux. Try Ubuntu, and save your stuff off the main drive to a memory stick or something.

Then wipe it (format the drive and reinstall Windows) and start fresh.

[quote]vision1 wrote:
My computer isn’t working (not this one). I’m hoping someone here has a little more knowledge than I do with computers.

about a week ago, my computer froze. I turned it off, and when it started up it was messed up.

Explorer.EXE - Bad image
The application or DLL C:\WINDOWS\system32\UxTheme.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.

After this it takes me to my desktop, but all there is, is a background wallpaper. Nothing else.

So I can only use taskmanager to run new programs. However, internet doesn’t work, and some programs don’t work (such as windows media player).

I tryed to do a system restore, and it looked like it was going to work, but after I restarted my computer, it didn’t acknowledge that the restore was ever performed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.[/quote]

With windows, 9/10 problems aren’t worth the time to muck around with. Save important files, wipe the hard drive, start over.

It was probably time for a format anyway.

[quote]jedidiah wrote:
vision1 wrote:

Explorer.EXE - Bad image

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

With windows, 9/10 problems aren’t worth the time to muck around with. Save important files, wipe the hard drive, start over.

It was probably time for a format anyway.
[/quote]

The above method works for me. It takes about as much time just re-formating as it does for me to fuck around with something and then realize re-formating would have been quicker. Not too mention you then spend that time re-formating.

have you tried
chkdsk c: /r

[quote]vision1 wrote:
Still no internet connection though…

Thanks for everyones help so far.[/quote]

http://gregnmary.gotdns.com/appz/WinsockxpFix.exe

Grab this file off my server and run it. If that doesn’t restore your internet connection, I don’t know without more info.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
vision1 wrote:

Grab this file off my server and run it. If that doesn’t restore your internet connection, I don’t know without more info.[/quote]

What is this program?

[quote]vision1 wrote:
Tiribulus wrote:
vision1 wrote:

Grab this file off my server and run it. If that doesn’t restore your internet connection, I don’t know without more info.

What is this program?[/quote]

it is called winsockfix. very popular.

How about a repair install of IE?
search for IE.inf and right click → install.
Your internet connection, are the settings right?

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:

[/quote]

I ran the program, don’t think it did anything.

What does a repair install of IE do? The only problem I have now is getting an internet connection. All the other computers on the router work, just not mine.

I’m not sure about my internet settings. I never changed anything though since it was working.

EDIT: I may just reformat my computer. I’m not sure if it’s worth it though, cause I’ll probably be gettig a new on in a couple of months. How long does it normally take to perform? I have all CDs that originally came with he comp.

I did the repair install of IE, and that didn’t fix it.

[quote]vision1 wrote:
jp_dubya wrote:

I ran the program, don’t think it did anything.

What does a repair install of IE do? The only problem I have now is getting an internet connection. All the other computers on the router work, just not mine.

I’m not sure about my internet settings. I never changed anything though since it was working.

EDIT: I may just reformat my computer. I’m not sure if it’s worth it though, cause I’ll probably be gettig a new on in a couple of months. How long does it normally take to perform? I have all CDs that originally came with he comp.[/quote]

How bout some basics. Does the connection say it’s active, is there a connection in network properties at all? Does the NIC look OK in device manager? What does an ipconfig /all look like? Do you have a home network? If so, is it just internet access or all network connectivity.

In other words can you see your router if you have one or any of the other machines or is it offline altogether? If it’s not offline altogether, but just can’t bring up web pages in a browser, ping one and try to load it by ip address.

If that works type ipconfig /flushdns at a command prompt. Don’t laugh, but is the cable plugged in? Both ends? Maybe the cable is bad. Try another? If this is the only machine/device on this node and internet access is the only test you have maybe it’s not your computer at all, local ISP infrastructure maybe?

I wish I could go there, I’m sure I could figger it out.

I think I found the problem, but I’m not sure how to fix it.

Start → My network places → Network tasks → View network connections

So I double-click on my local area connection and it doesn’t show any activity. Under connection status it says I have an invalid IP address (IP address an Subnet mask are both shown to be 0.0.0.0). When I click repair, that fails.

I probably don’t make any sense, but does anyone know what I could do?

Thanks again