T Nation

Five Minute Meals

Finals time has come around again and I find all my good habbits slipping. The hardest to maintain is eating enough full meals. I buy fruit and nuts and other ‘clean’ snacks so munch on through the day, and quite often a couple large glasses of milk will become a main meal.

When the time does come to cook a good round meal, I find I prefer to wander the supermarket aisles untill I can find enough ingredients to make a meal without really cooking at all.

So I beseech you mighty men of muscle; does anyone know of simple meals, complete in nutrition, that take less than 5 minutes to prepare.

I’ll start off with the meal I made tonight:

300g of cold sliced turkey breast
Cranberry sauce.
100g of sliced tasty cheese.
350g Steamable (microwave) bag of veggies (broc, carrot, and caulli)
and about 700ml of Chocy milk.
Only takes 2:45 to steam the veggies, and just dump it all on the plate and eat.
All aviliable at the local supermarket :slight_smile:

-Protein shake and porridge

-MRP and a handful of nuts

chicken in a pouch(next to tuna usually in the market…)
Tuna in a pouch
nuts
natty pb
whey
deli slices(i get the natural ones)
greens plus
raw oats mixed with a small littlebit of water and whey about a tbs sugar free /fat free pudding mix

its endless.man
you might not get the sit down meal your craving duringbusy times…but you can keep it clean

make a sandwich.

This isn’t rachaelray.com for christ’s sake. How hard is it to cook a simple meal? Don’t wander the grocery store looking for ingrediants to a particular meal. Get a bunch of stuff and have it at home so you can just throw something together easy at any time. If you have to go to the store just to make the meal, chances are you won’t. And a glass of milk is not a meal.

[quote]swivel wrote:
make a sandwich.[/quote]

word doggy. 1/4 of the jar of Peanutbutter on whole wheat and a glass of milk

Try the South Beach Diet meals sold at the supermarket. They’re outstanding.

I don’t even know what the South Beach Diet is, to tell you the truth, but the nutritional content of these meals is, picking a fairly typical example, about 30 g protein, 11 g fat, 23 g non-fiber carbs, 9 g fiber, 330 cal. Or another one is 29 g protein, 8 g fat, 15 g non-fiber carbs, 8 g fiber, 260 cal.

Of course that’s probably less intake than desired but a correct amount of Grow! taken with it at the same time solves that.

They are amazingly tasty too.

Get a george foreman style grill. It takes less than 10 minutnes to cook a steak or some ground beef patties.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
And a glass of milk is not a meal.[/quote]

A glass of milk is not, but a 1/4 of a gallon is.

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
Try the South Beach Diet meals sold at the supermarket. They’re outstanding.

I don’t even know what the South Beach Diet is, to tell you the truth, but the nutritional content of these meals is, picking a fairly typical example, about 30 g protein, 11 g fat, 23 g non-fiber carbs, 9 g fiber, 330 cal. Or another one is 29 g protein, 8 g fat, 15 g non-fiber carbs, 8 g fiber, 260 cal.

Of course that’s probably less intake than desired but a correct amount of Grow! taken with it at the same time solves that.

They are amazingly tasty too.[/quote]

Or you could [i]not[/i].

-500ml chocolate milk, 60 gram bag of almonds, beef jerky
-20+oz skim milk, two natty pb sammiches on whole wheat
-campbell’s soups, beef vegatable usually with a couple cheese sammiches or a protien shake
-oatmeal with berries and MRP or whey
-grilled cheese on whole wheat and soup
-leftovers
-lean ham or turkey sandwiches with lettuce (and other veggies), cheese, mustard etc

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:
And a glass of milk is not a meal.

A glass of milk is not, but a 1/4 of a gallon is.[/quote]

As long as it’s not skim, maybe…

just carry around a bottle of ranch dressing and take a couple of shots of it every hour or so throughout the day

[quote]Dezz wrote:
just carry around a bottle of ranch dressing and take a couple of shots of it every hour or so throughout the day[/quote]

Wow that sounds ummm… gross.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
This isn’t rachaelray.com for christ’s sake. How hard is it to cook a simple meal? Don’t wander the grocery store looking for ingrediants to a particular meal. Get a bunch of stuff and have it at home so you can just throw something together easy at any time. If you have to go to the store just to make the meal, chances are you won’t. And a glass of milk is not a meal.[/quote]

I opened saying I prefer not do things like cook when I’m stressed (finals). I also assume many nutrition conscious readers here find themselves in this situation due to study, work, ect.
If you don’t have anything constructive to add, why bother posting at all?
Oh, and a large glass of milk or two has fat, protein, calcium, what makes it such a bad meal?

I like to have a couple pre-made bowls of chili or pasta or such in the fridge to heat up in minutes. I also find myself having a bag of spinach and some tomatoes thrown with some canned tuna quite a bit.

Does MRP stand for Meal Replacement P…?

[quote]RobertPaullson wrote:
I opened saying I prefer not do things like cook when I’m stressed (finals). I also assume many nutrition conscious readers here find themselves in this situation due to study, work, ect.
If you don’t have anything constructive to add, why bother posting at all?
Oh, and a large glass of milk or two has fat, protein, calcium, what makes it such a bad meal?

I like to have a couple pre-made bowls of chili or pasta or such in the fridge to heat up in minutes. I also find myself having a bag of spinach and some tomatoes thrown with some canned tuna quite a bit.

Does MRP stand for Meal Replacement P…?[/quote]

Your post is all over the place…

MRP = Meal Replacement Powder

If you don’t want to cook when your stressed, then don’t. But don’t bitch about not being able to get meals in if you won’t cook. There are some shortcuts out there, and you listed a few (having pre-made stuff ready, but you still have to pre-make it), but nothing short of actual preparing food is going to work. The only other option is to buy a bunch of pre-made junk food. But that really isn’t a good option is it?

As for being constructive. Obviously you are new to all of this. Anytime someone says something you don’t want to hear- that does not mean they aren’t being constructive. Learn to listen a little when you ask for advice rather than coming into this will all of your preconceived notions.

And a glass of milk is not a “meal”. It’s an ok snack, or in-between meal, or whatever you want to call it. I just can’t imagine you’d get enough energy/sustenance to last you a few hours simply from a glass of milk. If you can- more power to you.

If you’re too stressed to cook, then do it first thing in the morning, before you can think of anything else.

If you want to do this, find reasons you can suceed, not reasons you can’t.

These are the closest to 5 min meals i have…

Super shakes

I prepare bags of almonds, apples, small flavoured tins of tuna, etc.

Tuna, veg, in lettuce wraps. Premade filling helps, carrots, cap, tomato, onion. 5 mins prep tops.

Cheese, cheese and cheese. oh! and cheese.

Blend protein powder into yoghurt, pour onto museli and peaches/appricots/plums/mango.

Chicken soup can be made up and frozen in very large batches, then just break it out and nuke it.

These are the closest to 5 min meals i have…

Super shakes

I prepare bags of almonds, apples, small flavoured tins of tuna, etc.

Tuna, veg, in lettuce wraps. Premade filling helps, carrots, cap, tomato, onion. 5 mins prep tops.

Cheese, cheese and cheese. oh! and cheese.

Blend protein powder into yoghurt, pour onto museli and peaches/appricots/plums/mango.

Chicken soup can be made up and frozen in very large batches, then just break it out and nuke it.

[quote]Tedpod wrote:
chicken in a pouch(next to tuna usually in the market…)
Tuna in a pouch
nuts
natty pb
whey
deli slices(i get the natural ones)
greens plus
raw oats mixed with a small littlebit of water and whey about a tbs sugar free /fat free pudding mix

its endless.man
you might not get the sit down meal your craving duringbusy times…but you can keep it clean[/quote]

… I do the tuna wraps take like 2 minz lol … and its good for ya … well the wraps that i get have no gluten or anything of the sort and have like 6 grams of fiber and 7 grams of protein … and then a can of tuna :smiley: lol