Five Best T-Nation Articles

I’ve been a member here for a while, but I haven’t visited this site too often. I’ve noticed that there is a huge number of articles.

I haven’t viewed many of them, but would like to learn more. Therefore, in order to visit the cream of the crop first, I ask that you list what you think are the five best articles at this site.

The 5 articles that say the first thing you do is pick a goal.

I walked into a library yesterday and noticed there were a whole lot of books.

I haven’t read any of them but would like to learn more about them. Does anyone have a list of the five best books to read for someone too lazy to simply find something that I am interested in knowing and reading about it?

I know, I COULD think of what I would like to know about…and THEN go look for a book about that topic…but, aw shit, I have things to do and people to see.

[quote]jason_m wrote:
I’ve been a member here for a while, but I haven’t visited this site too often. I’ve noticed that there is a huge number of articles.

I haven’t viewed many of them, but would like to learn more. Therefore, in order to visit the cream of the crop first, I ask that you list what you think are the five best articles at this site. [/quote]

Go take a scan down the grouping listed as “HIGH IMPACT” on the left hand side of the site. Those are probably some of the most notable ones here.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

I haven’t read any of them but would like to learn more about them. Does anyone have a list of the five best books to read for someone too lazy to simply find something that I am interested in knowing and reading about it?

I know, I COULD think of what I would like to know about…and THEN go look for a book about that topic…but, aw shit, I have things to do and people to see.[/quote]

It’s funny. You seem to be a respected poster around here.

I expected someone to give a snarky half-a**ed reply to my post, but I didn’t think it would come from you. I guess being a big time poster requires having a big time ego to go along with it; treating others with courtesy and respect is just far too much to ask.

I’ve posted questions like this to the “Hardgainer” roundtable. I didn’t get a response like this. Also, if someone were to ask me to list a few good training books, I could name some.

And you know what’s funny about the library example? Libraries often have featured books, etc. to point people in some direction.

It’s one thing to ask to for summaries of articles you’re too lazy to read. It’s another to ask for a starting point.

If you don’t like my query, fine. But there is no excuse for an arrogant reply like that.

Jason

“The Brotherhood of Iron” should be required reading here … to get your mind right.

Everything else is trial and error.

I would say, though, that it is difficult to answer your question. For example, for me, I think the “Neanderthal No More” series is awesome for everyone.

When it comes to nutrition, too, Precision Nutrition is great, but you have to buy it.

But we don’t even know your level of training. Are you a beginner? Than Waterbury’s ABBH or Big Boys Basics would be good. Intermediate? Waterbury Method, Total Waterbury Training, Art of Waterbury, Hybrid Hypertrophy. Advanced? Quattro dynamo.

But that’s JUST Waterbury! If we don’t know what you’re interested in, where can we begin? Sports specific? Weight loss? Intermediate?

[quote]Kuz wrote:
Go take a scan down the grouping listed as “HIGH IMPACT” on the left hand side of the site. Those are probably some of the most notable ones here.[/quote]

Thanks for the help.

Jason

[quote]CLewis wrote:
I would say, though, that it is difficult to answer your question. For example, for me, I think the “Neanderthal No More” series is awesome for everyone.

When it comes to nutrition, too, Precision Nutrition is great, but you have to buy it.

But we don’t even know your level of training. Are you a beginner? Than Waterbury’s ABBH or Big Boys Basics would be good. Intermediate? Waterbury Method, Total Waterbury Training, Art of Waterbury, Hybrid Hypertrophy. Advanced? Quattro dynamo.

But that’s JUST Waterbury! If we don’t know what you’re interested in, where can we begin? Sports specific? Weight loss? Intermediate? [/quote]

I’m a beginner/early intermediate trainer. I guess I’m looking for training articles that would be a good primer for each major author - something that lays down their basic routines or philosophies.

Merry Christmas, Bob.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=533977

Not directly about training, more about attitude. Top reading though, a must read in my opinion.

[quote]jason_m wrote:

I haven’t viewed many of them, but would like to learn more. Therefore, in order to visit the cream of the crop first, I ask that you list what you think are the five best articles at this site. [/quote]

Dirty tricks is a great article. if you want to learn to make smart deccisions at the supplement store.

[quote]jason_m wrote:
Professor X wrote:

I know, I COULD think of what I would like to know about…and THEN go look for a book about that topic…but, aw shit, I have things to do and people to see.

It’s funny. You seem to be a respected poster around here.

I expected someone to give a snarky half-a**ed reply to my post, but I didn’t think it would come from you. I guess being a big time poster requires having a big time ego to go along with it; treating others with courtesy and respect is just far too much to ask.

I’ve posted questions like this to the “Hardgainer” roundtable. I didn’t get a response like this. Also, if someone were to ask me to list a few good training books, I could name some.

And you know what’s funny about the library example? Libraries often have featured books, etc. to point people in some direction.

It’s one thing to ask to for summaries of articles you’re too lazy to read. It’s another to ask for a starting point.

If you don’t like my query, fine. But there is no excuse for an arrogant reply like that.

Jason[/quote]

Actually, posters like Vroom have taken the time to list an entire thread’s worth of info along with articles to read in the beginner’s forum. To ignore all of that help makes me wonder just how motivated you really are. You have a site that even includes a search function that can focus in on JUST the articles.

I am confused as to how someone would need even more guidance as far as “what to read”.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

Actually, posters like Vroom have taken the time to list an entire thread’s worth of info along with articles to read in the beginner’s forum. To ignore all of that help makes me wonder just how motivated you really are. You have a site that even includes a search function that can focus in on JUST the articles.

I am confused as to how someone would need even more guidance as far as “what to read”.[/quote]

I think the topic of this post would still be interesting if it’s intent was just to learn about what people on this site like the most. Kind of like a poll to share our opinions.

To the OP, I think you already got some good advice with the High Impact section (for a start), and Vroom’s beginner thread (which is great for people who aren’t just beginners).

Another thing you can look under would be clicking on people’s name, and checking out to see what’s in their favorites. I occasionally add articles to my favorites that I find I like and would want to read again.

You can look for the people on this site whom you respect, and see if they added anything in their favorites.

[quote]

I am confused as to how someone would need even more guidance as far as “what to read”.[/quote]

In looking at the situation, I see two basic problems here:

1. I have crappy observation skills, which is why I didn’t notice Vroom’s post at the top of the forum, etc.

2. With respect to the library analogy, I don’t know anything about the type of articles that are here, so I’m not sure what to search for. I could discover ways of finding relevant information, but this is time consuming, so I hoped the posters here would make it easier for me.

(You have to remember, it’s harder for someone who’s new to a forum to find information, due to unfamiliarity with the features, etc., unlike a library, which is pretty much standardized.)

Jason

High Impact is awesome - frankly never noticed it before. It’s dangerous, even - I don’t think I should spend more time on T-Nation than I already am.’

Every week T-Nation places a nice email in my box outlining articles for that week. I usually try to read most of those. Often there are featured articles which I also read.

I would recommend an exploratory attitude. Yeah, there are good ones out there, and yes, definitely read all the beginner’s FAQ stuff, but imagine just wandering around the library reading at your leisure from shelf to shelf. Eventually you’ll find yourself coming to the same shelves and authors more often, but you will also have a good base of knowledge on a variety of topics.

[quote]jason_m wrote:

I am confused as to how someone would need even more guidance as far as “what to read”.

1. I have crappy observation skills, which is why I didn’t notice Vroom’s post at the top of the forum, etc.

2. With respect to the library analogy, I don’t know anything about the type of articles that are here, so I’m not sure what to search for. I could discover ways of finding relevant information, but this is time consuming, so I hoped the posters here would make it easier for me.

(You have to remember, it’s harder for someone who’s new to a forum to find information, due to unfamiliarity with the features, etc., unlike a library, which is pretty much standardized.)

Jason[/quote]

When you will find out that this is weightlifting forum with weightlifting articles you will go away because…
…going to a gym is time consuming.

So - go away…

[quote]jason_m wrote:

Jason[/quote]

My point is, even with info dropped literally into your lap, you felt that wasn’t enough. People like that bother me. It tells me that before the internet, people like this would have made NO progress and looked for NO info on their own, waiting for someone to do all of their research for them. Imagine how you would act if you actually had to drive to a library for this.

I can only imagine you would give up before finding your car keys. It shows no initiative that you didn’t even read the beginner’s forum and didn’t notice the first posts in the section stuck to the top of the page with a title screaming to be read by newbies. Ask yourself, do people like that really belong here?

I happen to think not but maybe you can enlighten me on why someone needs to grab your hand and walk you through it all.

Some seem to think this is an interesting thread. I think it is not about listing what threads you like the most because that isn’t what was asked.

Vision Quest by TC http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=874080&pageNo=0

This is the first article I ever read on this website and any time I ever wanted to puss out on a workout cause I’m sick or I’m lazy I read it. Oldy but a goody.

[quote]K-man wrote:
When you will find out that this is weightlifting forum with weightlifting articles you will go away because…
…going to a gym is time consuming.

So - go away…[/quote]

Okay…?

More then 5, and you’ll have to use the search engine as I doubt the links work but someone put this together: