Fitting Shoulders Into My Routine

Recently I’ve split my upperbody workout into two different days, chest and tri’s one day and back biceps and shoulders the next day, and i do these both 2 days a week…

while at the gym the other day some1 told me that i should do shoulders on its own day b/c it needs the most work… so i tried that for a couple of weeks goin chest and tris monday and thursday bi’s and back tuesday and fri and shoulders wednesday, but i realized that most of the things i do for back (dead lift power clean etc) are also for my shoulders…

should i go back to back bis and shoulders on the same day or what? some1 please reccomend a good program… im only 16 so i havent gotten much advice from any “experts”… thanks

Someone was invariably going to ask this, so when do you work your legs?

I don’t think shoulders need the most work. When you consider that they are worked indirectly with every upper body push or pull movement, they already receive a lot of work before you do them directly.

Don’t stress it. How long will you be using your current program anyway. 4wks? 6? Monitor your progress, see how you go, then do a shoulder only day with your next routine and you can compare.

[quote]Sxio wrote:
I don’t think shoulders need the most work. When you consider that they are worked indirectly with every upper body push or pull movement, they already receive a lot of work before you do them directly.

Don’t stress it. How long will you be using your current program anyway. 4wks? 6? Monitor your progress, see how you go, then do a shoulder only day with your next routine and you can compare. [/quote]

I was thinking id do it for 8 weeks then take a week off then start a new routine… and i work my legs with deadlifts and powercleans, and i run be4 every wrokout and i wrestle so that helps my legs… so i rarely squat

[quote]Ronsauce wrote:
Someone was invariably going to ask this, so when do you work your legs?[/quote]

Well put Ronsauce, not gonna lie, when i see people working out like this kid, who do nothing but upper, it seroiusly pisses me off…forget shoulders, your real problem is fitting Legs into your workout…

[quote]Sxio wrote:
[/quote]

I’d honestly agree. I also personally like to do my shoulders on the same day as chest and tri’s (upper body pushing muscles). However, I also tend to split my shoulders as well. I’ll do anterior and medial exercises on pushing day and posterior exercises on pulling day. But, I agree, try out both approaches and see which one works better for you.

However, if you have to choose between a day for shoulders and a day for legs, legs wins hands down every time. You said you run and wrestle to develop your legs? and rarely squat?
Sorry, but that approach is suboptimal at best. You need to do some direct leg resistance training.

Also, if you are feeling deadlifts and powercleans primarily in your shoulders you are either doing them wrong, or seriously need to increase the weight. Those two exercises are hip dominant exercises. You also need quad dominant exercises (squats, leg press, hack squats, etc…) and would probably do well to also include a unilateral leg exercise (lunges, bulgarian split squats, step ups, pistols, etc…).

Good training,

Sentoguy

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
Sxio wrote:

I’d honestly agree. I also personally like to do my shoulders on the same day as chest and tri’s (upper body pushing muscles). However, I also tend to split my shoulders as well. I’ll do anterior and medial exercises on pushing day and posterior exercises on pulling day. But, I agree, try out both approaches and see which one works better for you.

However, if you have to choose between a day for shoulders and a day for legs, legs wins hands down every time. You said you run and wrestle to develop your legs? and rarely squat?
Sorry, but that approach is suboptimal at best. You need to do some direct leg resistance training.

Also, if you are feeling deadlifts and powercleans primarily in your shoulders you are either doing them wrong, or seriously need to increase the weight. Those two exercises are hip dominant exercises. You also need quad dominant exercises (squats, leg press, hack squats, etc…) and would probably do well to also include a unilateral leg exercise (lunges, bulgarian split squats, step ups, pistols, etc…).

Good training,

Sentoguy
[/quote]

I didnt say i feel dead lifts mostly in my shoulder, mostly in my back and legs, but after a good workout of power cleans and dead lifts, which i shrug my shoulders as high as i can after a deadlift, i feel it in my shoulders…

and i dont work lower legs much b/c 1) deadlifts work my legs and 2) i blew out my knee in 8th grade wrestling and the slight pain i feel squating to go along with the fear of blowing it out again squating keeps me away from squating as much as possible, but i try to do other things for legs

[quote]beast21 wrote:

I didnt say i feel dead lifts mostly in my shoulder, mostly in my back and legs, but after a good workout of power cleans and dead lifts, which i shrug my shoulders as high as i can after a deadlift, i feel it in my shoulders…

and i dont work lower legs much b/c 1) deadlifts work my legs and 2) i blew out my knee in 8th grade wrestling and the slight pain i feel squating to go along with the fear of blowing it out again squating keeps me away from squating as much as possible, but i try to do other things for legs
[/quote]

Well, I apologize for misinterpreting what you meant.

However, once again, if you can shrug the weight that you are deadlifting, add more weight. Yes, the shoulders and traps must contract isometrically while performing deads.

But, if you can shrug your shoulders at the end of a deadlift, you aren’t using enough weight. Unless you’ve got inhumanly strong traps, or unbelievably weak hips (glutes and Hamstrings).

I can understand having a fear of hurting yourself and it’s true that you do need to ease into things. But, squats really aren’t hard on your knees, if done correctly, and in fact, will probably decrease your chances of re-injuring your knee in the future.

Also, if you aren’t sufficiently hitting your quads you may develop an imbalance that could lead to an increased risk of injury in the future.

My advice is to learn how to squat correctly and get to it.

Good training,

Sentoguy

Hmm. You know shoulders on their own day, or shoulders with chest or back is fine… It’s good to switch things up :slight_smile: