Fitting In 1RM Work on 5x5 Program?

Hey guys.

I’m doing Billy Starr’s 5x5. So it looks like this…

MONDAY:

Squats: 5x5
Flat BB Bench press: 5x5
Bent over rows: 5x5

Then some weighted ab work etc.

WEDNESDAY:

Squats: 4x5
Incline BB Bench press: 4x5
Deadlift: 4x5

Unweighted ab work

FRIDAY:

Squats: 4x5, 1x3 (next mondays 5x5 max), 1x8
Flat BB Benched press: Same as above
Bent over rows: Same as above

Weighted dips, biceps, tri extensions.

*I throw in an accessory or two on the monday and wednesday often times. Hammers on monday for example. Some calf work. Nothing crazy.

Now when doing this program, when would be an ideal time to fit in some 1RM work for the Bench, Deadlift, and Squat? I’m not talking weekly of course.

What days should I perform a 1RM for each exercise? About how often should I attempt a new PR?

I’ve been on this 5x5 for about 7 weeks and have made all of my lifts so far. Even a little bit ahead of schedule.

Thanks!

Probably at the end of the cycle? When you should be strongest??

[quote]Hanley wrote:
Probably at the end of the cycle? When you should be strongest??[/quote]

So perhaps no PR attempts until I stop making gains from this program?

[quote]JFG12 wrote:
Hanley wrote:
Probably at the end of the cycle? When you should be strongest??

So perhaps no PR attempts until I stop making gains from this program?[/quote]

I have this belief… If you’re feeling strong and like you could have PR’s, then take it. You never know when a good workout like that will come along again so you need to seize the moment!

That being said, I wouldn’t “plan” on maxing mid way thru it. If you’re feeling good after 5 or 6 weeks then go for it. Hell today was supposed to be a relatively easy day for me on sumo pulls. Just a nice easy work up to 75% for a couple of sets of 3 but I was feeling good so I kept pushing. I ended up pulling around 83% for 6!!

[quote]JFG12 wrote:
Hey guys.

I’m doing Billy Starr’s 5x5. So it looks like this…

MONDAY:

Squats: 5x5
Flat BB Bench press: 5x5
Bent over rows: 5x5

Then some weighted ab work etc.

WEDNESDAY:

Squats: 4x5
Incline BB Bench press: 4x5
Deadlift: 4x5

Unweighted ab work

FRIDAY:

Squats: 4x5, 1x3 (next mondays 5x5 max), 1x8
Flat BB Benched press: Same as above
Bent over rows: Same as above

Weighted dips, biceps, tri extensions.

*I throw in an accessory or two on the monday and wednesday often times. Hammers on monday for example. Some calf work. Nothing crazy.

Now when doing this program, when would be an ideal time to fit in some 1RM work for the Bench, Deadlift, and Squat? I’m not talking weekly of course.

What days should I perform a 1RM for each exercise? About how often should I attempt a new PR?

I’ve been on this 5x5 for about 7 weeks and have made all of my lifts so far. Even a little bit ahead of schedule.

Thanks!

[/quote]

You are kind of contradicting yourself…forget about the 1RM while you are on the program. Although I agree if you are really feeling it one day go ahead and go for it. Otherwise don’t worry about it. It’s easy to get curious and always check your 1RM but follow the program and try it out after.

You do not need to do PRs in the middle of your workout. If you are raising the weight for your working sets gradually and still are preforming the exercises and getting all the reps, I think that is a good enough benchmark to look at to see if you are making gains.