T Nation

Fitness Testing?

As a beginner, it's often hard to get a real idea of how you're doing. I've got a couple of tools I've used to do so on the offchance that it's helpful.

1. The multistage fitness test AKA 'bleep test'
    People often ask about cardio when they first start. This should give you a good idea of how you're actually doing, cardio-wise.
    You do need the recording.

2. Strength tests.
    I have eschewed one rep max testing for some time on the basis that it's not meaningful at my level.
    5RM and 3RM tests are probably safer, but maybe still a problem because your max will probably actually go up as a result of the test itself.
    Any suggestions?
    As for exercises, I think it's wise to stick to the powerlifts, max pullups, and the clean.

So what more is there? I like to do max burpees in 5 minutes as a GPP test. I'm aware of the PFT (a mile run, max pushups, max situps).

really? i just wrote down what i did and made sure i did a bit more next time.

I personally don't like the bleep test for a conditioning test. I've had to do it a few times for rugby, and I think it's too slow of a pace.

I don't really do much conditioning tests in my own training, I can generally tell where I am just by my training sessions. I have done the 1000m shuttle before and I think it's much better than the bleep test.

As far as strength testing goes, I simply monitor my bench and squat

Cool. How do you do a 1000m shuttle?

On a rugby pitch:

Start on the Try line
Run to the 22 meter line, back to the try line
Run to the 50 meter line, back to the try line
Run to the opposite 22 meter line, back to the try line
Run to the opposite Try line, back to the goal line

Then repeat

You can also do it on a football field, just running to the 25,50,opposite 25, and opposite goal line

On a rugby pitch:

Start on the Try line
Run to the 22 meter line, back to the try line
Run to the 50 meter line, back to the try line
Run to the opposite 22 meter line, back to the try line
Run to the opposite Try line, back to the goal line

Then repeat

You can also do it on a football field, just running to the 25,50,opposite 25, and opposite goal line

Me too. I didn't really think there was any point in testing a 1RM, 3RM, etc. if it was going to be significantly higher by next week anyway.

Awesome. What sort of scores should people be aiming for?

USA rugby put out some categories based on high school and collegiate all american numbers, which were anywhere from 3:35 to 4:10 depending on position and level

Cool. I'm assuming the pace is 'as fast as you can, all the way'?

Yea pretty much. You kinda have to pace yourself a bit though. All the turning around and accelerating back to speed really makes it a lot harder