T Nation

Fitness Test

One month from now I have a fitness test for my job. It's not tough but I want to improve and do my best.

I need to do 38 situps in one minute and at least 29 consecutive pushups.

How can I improve on these in one month?

Thanks.

Do sets of 10-20 , 5-10 times a day.

If that’s easy do more then that.

Or just do as many as you can of each 5-10 times a day… then you should be set…

How many of each can you currently do?

just curious what type of jobs ask for these tests? and why random number like 38 and 29? why not 40 and 30?

(just curious if job doesn’t allowed to say i understand :D)

[quote]michaelmi5 wrote:
just curious what type of jobs ask for these tests? and why random number like 38 and 29? why not 40 and 30?

(just curious if job doesn’t allowed to say i understand :D)[/quote]

Law enforcement

I got the same advice as the above…multiple sets at a sub-max number of reps spaced out across your day.

At the top of every waking hour, do a set of each. If you are on duty and in uniform, just hit them on yor days off. How many in a set…depends on how many you can do now. 25 is a nice number but if that’s above your current max or near it, start with 10 and increase by 5 each week.

If your days are packed, work it in some other way. Every commercial break while you’re watching TV in the evening do a set of 1 exercise and alternate. Or top of every inning while watching baseball.

Yep. Stew Smith’s “Push Up Push” program worked alright for me:

Basically 200 push ups/day alternating days between lots of easy sets (about 1/2 of your current max reps per set) and trying to get through it in as few sets as possible (I’d still stop well short of failure). Boring as hell, but pretty effective I found. Push ups are also a skill. Scapular retraction and depression, total body tension (especially core and posterior chain activation), breathing for increased intra-abdominal pressure, trying to corkscrew your hands outward (like breaking a branch over your leg) so you can “push from your armpits” engaging your lats. These are all cues that helped me. I consciously practiced them as opposed to just grinding the reps out thoughtlessly.

I would add an equal number of band pull aparts, some broom handle dislocates and lots of YTWL’s to keep your shoulders happy. I would sub crunches for sit-ups to spare your back, but I see no reason the same principle wouldn’t work.

I’d take a break from much else in the way of upper body pressing movements unless your shoulder health/recovery are excellent.

Get lean if you aren’t already.

[quote]ANIMAL M0THER wrote:

[quote]michaelmi5 wrote:

(just curious if job doesn’t allowed to say i understand :D)[/quote]

Law enforcement[/quote]
I thought so, I did a fitness test to be a jailor but I had to do more than that… I also had to do a mile and a half run, 300m run, and bench 93% of my BW… I failed out on the distance run…

what about doing ladders?

[quote]ANIMAL M0THER wrote:
what about doing ladders?
[/quote]

Not really going to be of much use with this little time before your test; long term would be a good method to utilize though.

Your body/muscles are not going to make any huge improvements in the time frame you have, so utilizing methods to tax the muscles in hopes of attaining any kind of noticeable strength gains won’t be very effective. What you may have success with though would be improvements in your neuromuscular efficiency/skill. GTG or maybe a modified EDT are going to be your best bets at this point.

It depends how old you are. At 49 I know to go all out every other day and you’ll get there in time. You need a day to heal. If you don’t you’ll hurt yourself.

This every day, multiple times a day routine is for young rubber people. Older joints strenuously object to such things.

Have you been lifting for awhile? Because if so, you should easily pass those tests.

[quote]Krinks wrote:
It depends how old you are. At 49 I know to go all out every other day and you’ll get there in time. You need a day to heal. If you don’t you’ll hurt yourself.

This every day, multiple times a day routine is for young rubber people. Older joints strenuously object to such things. [/quote]

I don’t know. Dropping down to do 10-15 push ups a few times a day should be manageable for a healthy, fit person of any age. This is hardly “going all out”, actually I specifically suggested he stick to half of his current max reps. That’s part of the beauty of grease the groove type programs. They’re pretty easy on those of us with higher mileage

[quote]batman730 wrote:

[quote]Krinks wrote:

This every day, multiple times a day routine is for young rubber people. Older joints strenuously object to such things. [/quote]

I don’t know. Dropping down to do 10-15 push ups a few times a day should be manageable for a healthy, fit person of any age. This is hardly “going all out”, actually I specifically suggested he stick to half of his current max reps. That’s part of the beauty of grease the groove type programs. They’re pretty easy on those of us with higher mileage
[/quote]
Agree’d!! Push ups are not that tough on the system… even for a fat guy like me LOL

both those numbers should be really fucking easy to achieve, so just do what everyone else says and practice them a bunch of times every day.

I tried to over train in the push-up just to see if could be done and I couldn’t do it. You can literally do them all day every day so have at. I second the Stew Smith recommendation.

If your stats in your profile are accurate, and you’re not already incredibly muscular, dropping a few lbs wouldn’t hurt. Really, I can’t think of anything that would help you get more reps than this. Moving 215lbs should be easier than moving 230lbs for max reps, right? Kinda surprised this hasn’t already been brought up…

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
If your stats in your profile are accurate, and you’re not already incredibly muscular, dropping a few lbs wouldn’t hurt. Really, I can’t think of anything that would help you get more reps than this. Moving 215lbs should be easier than moving 230lbs for max reps, right? Kinda surprised this hasn’t already been brought up…[/quote]

That is of course a great long term plan, but if you read the original post you’ll know that AM said his test was in one month (from the time of the original post). Losing 15 lbs in one month (or less than a month at this point) isn’t very likely without going on an extreme starvation style diet or “cutting weight” style of approach; both of which are likely to leave him feeling drained and low on energy. So not a great short term approach in this case