Fitness Standards for Combat Sports?

Go to every internet site that has street fights, brawls, etc. and you will notice the same thing 98% of the time. The participants have neither the skill to operate when attacking nor the resolve to continue or counterattack if the other fighter gets in a ‘lucky’ shot.

However, if there is a martial art centered around grapping a shirt sleeve while flailing 3-4 wild roundhouses, these “ragers” will be in high regard.

[quote]sjfou wrote:
i havent started yet[/quote]

If you haven’t started yet, why do you feel qualified to give advice when other people ask MMA-related training questions?

Sadly, the guys like you outnumber the people who actually have real advice (based on experience) by about 9,999,999 to 1.

If you haven’t bench pressed 500 pounds, then don’t give people asking how to bench press 500 pounds advice. If you haven’t trained to fight, then keep your mouth shut. Who knows… You might learn something.

[quote]sjfou wrote:
In terms of strength, conditioning (cardio etc.) & experience, what’s your take on fitness standards for combat sports like boxing, kickboxing, wrestling, mma etc. at an am & pro level?[/quote]

In a later post you wrote: “plan from my coaches is am boxing in '07, am Muay Thai in '08 & pro MMA late '09…”

High hopes! Anyway, why aren’t you asking your coaches these questions; or why not ask the other MMA pros your coaches have trained. LMAO. You know what they say about a fool and his money…

UPDATE: I should clarify. It sounds to me like your “coaches” are taking you to the cleaners. Just like many gymnastic coaches will tell parents, “Your daughter has Olympic potential. Sign her up for more classes [re: give me more money],” there are a few boxing/MMA coaches who will feed you lies in order to take your money.

You’d be well-advised to check out these coaches.

If you want a fitness ebook… get the diesel crew’s book “building the ultimate mma athlete”.

Good call on the ross boxing site reference. Taht dude is hard as hell. He does burpees like he’s stuck in a prison cell.

Something tells me the OP is trolling us. For his sake I hope he is.

“I’m going to be a big fighter but im not going to start training right now, I’ll get in shape first”

is the same as saying

“The table makes an autonomic cheerleader”

it doesn’t make sense. I honestly hope his coaches didn’t tell him to get in shape by lifting weights until 07 when he starts am boxing. How long is he going to train before his first fight? I think they onyl fight you in your first year in mexico and cuba.

Nice Gi carter.

-chris

[quote]realpeanutbutter wrote:
I think they only fight you in your first year in mexico and cuba.
-chris[/quote]

Tijuana, Mexico to be precise.

And I think your right. Who trains to get in shape for training?

That Aleksander movie clip was hilarious. the other guy is all pumped up, and Aleksander looks like he just got out of the bar or something.

[quote]tones wrote:
That Aleksander movie clip was hilarious. the other guy is all pumped up, and Aleksander looks like he just got out of the bar or something. [/quote]

He was probably drunk.

Nice Gi carter.

-chris[/quote]

Thanks brother… got it for cheap too.

[quote]carter12 wrote:
realpeanutbutter wrote:

Nice Gi carter.

-chris

Thanks brother… got it for cheap too.

[/quote]

Atama is definently my favorite. Cheap and decent, great pants. Also check out their summer gi’s. Only $50 and you can put it in the dryer. Unless you train judo those summer sis are optimal for BJJ training.

-chris

sjfou wrote:
i havent started yet & i dont want go in half-assed. i feel like i’m going to die in my cardio sessions, but so what, strength & conditioning is all done alone so i need to have some goals to aim for so i know i’m training hard enough. plan from my coaches is am boxing in '07, am Muay Thai in '08 & pro MMA late '09…

Are you kidding… You haven’t started (training in boxing, wrestling or MT I assume) yet and you expect to be a decent fighter in a few years time?? I find that the most important part to becoming a good fighter is…

Fighting!!!

Guys take years to learn the angles necessary to be a decent boxer. What makes you think you are a natural. Start now dude, don’t cheat yourself out of training years. It will take you a year just to figure out how to learn to learn. Most people can’t pick up shit until they’ve been training for a bit.

I have a guy like you where I train MMA. He wants to get his blue belt in BJJ but never comes to class. He has some atheltic ability but sucks awfully compared to way smaller weaker technical dudes.

All the weights in the world won’t make you jack shit in the ring. You have a punchers chance and that is it. Dudes come in all the time for free classes looking jacked. And then they get pissed cause a dude with shoulders like a trout molested them like uncle hal.

-chris
[/quote]

Actually ive been on the ground for 4 years, boxing for 3, coming up 2 years of MT & being running & lifting as long as ive been on the ground.

[quote]KneeBar wrote:
sjfou wrote:
i havent started yet & i dont want go in half-assed. i feel like i’m going to die in my cardio sessions, but so what, strength & conditioning is all done alone so i need to have some goals to aim for so i know i’m training hard enough. plan from my coaches is am boxing in '07, am Muay Thai in '08 & pro MMA late '09…

As far as you S&C is concerned; do some research on the concurrent periodization model. As a fighter you will have many qualities which you will need to develop on top of skill (strength - max, explosive, endurance ? speed, stamina, etc?), and the concurrent model is an ideal approach.

As far as your current capabilities are concerned; don’t wait until you are in “fight shape” until you get to the gym. Just pin your ears back and get to it, cause like peanutbutter said, you need to get in your mat time & ring time if you ever hope to be any good.

And I’m not sure I understand the logic behind you Boxing to Maui Thai progression. The blended skill of MMA is slightly more complex then just mashing together 2 separate disciplines ? at least in my experience. That?s like having a goal to be a kickboxer and you start with boxing for a while to learn to punch and then you take some other martial art to learn to kick, then jump into the kickboxing ring hoping to beat guys who have been doing kickboxing for the same amount of time you have spent learning two separate skills. Course I could just be talking out of my ass.

Also, where is your grappling training?

Visit here http://www.rosstraining.com it has some good info on combat sport training. Check the Articles section.

And on a side note: I love fighting the guys who supposedly “just rage”. As they wildly miss with their punches and as I’m twisting them into a pretzel, I always ask them when their wolverine like berserker mode is going to kick, you know?So I can be ready for it.

[/quote]

ive been boxing longer & my hands are better than my kicks, so i plan to get a little bit of combat experience there while my MTs develop some more…

[quote]KneeBar wrote:

Also, where is your grappling training?

[/quote]

BTW, forgot to answer that - i’m in Australia, we have a fair few BJJ tournaments i already compete in so i didnt bother mentioning those…

[quote]sjfou wrote:
i havent started yet [/quote]

For the record that was a reply to the question “am i winning my fights?”

Well if you’ve been training for 4 years then you should have some idea about where you are as far as mat fitness goes.

There are no standards except winning.

-chris