Fitness Modeling Portfolio

I think you look great just the way you are Op

[quote]DanielDJ wrote:
Unless you have cut in the past, no one can predict what you would look like if you lose 10 pounds.
[/quote]

Does this help? This was about 2 years ago. Bodyweight 170, and I’d guess around 12% bodyfat?? It was at that time I stop cutting because I realized I wasn’t big enough and spent a good 16 months gaining size.

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
I have a question for those out there who have done fitness modeling before. How lean should you be just to start put together a portfolio of snap shots to send out to different magazines, companies, etc.? Obviously they know you’re not going to be single digit body fat year round, but I imagine there has to be some reasonable level for them to seriously consider you.

Below I will attach two current photos. I’m 5’10", about 212-215 bodyweight right now. Plan to drop to 190 by the end of the year and hit 180 for a men’s physique comp in April. I was thinking I should hire a photographer at around 200.

What do you think?
[/quote]

Eric Carlson released an e-book on how to break into fitness modelling a few years ago. It’s worth chasing down a copy just for the info on how to secure an agent.I’m not sure if its still available, though.

Your portfolio should only include pics that show you in shoot-ready shape. The agency will assume that whatever shots you submit are going to be how you intend to look on a job.

You’ll be misrepresenting yourself by not showing yourself in only peak condition when others will. [/quote]

I’ll look into it. Thanks.

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:
I think you look great just the way you are Op[/quote]

haha…I’m happy too. But I’m not lean enough =(

Another at I’m guessing 10%: [photo]29260[/photo]

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:
Any photos should be of you at your best.
I think your 180lb target is realistic.

Everyone is different, but for comparison sake…
I am 5’ 10" and at 215 I am fairly vascular with visible abdonimals. [see posting pic]
There is a video in my HUB of what I look like at 195 [I don’t know shit about posing and the lighting is garbage, but you will get the idea]…and IMO I would need to be leaner still to model.

I like the time-frame you have chosen. Try to stay strong during your cut, you want to hang on to every pound of LBM you have!

Best Of Luck! [/quote]

Believe it or not, it’s from reading posts from guys like you I got the idea in my head of setting a nice pace for myself and not being unrealistic or overly zealous.

you should start cycling

[quote]LoRez wrote:
Let me know if this is too much of a hijack; I’m hoping it’s just a quick question and answer.

I find your back very impressive, and I think the taper you have will look great when dieted down. What would you say was the core of developing that taper? I’ve seen a lot of different approaches among my reading; from low-pulley rows, to close/neutral pulldowns, to weighted sternum chinups, to various barbell rows. What worked for you?

You’ve clearly done plenty of heavy rows, since the midback thickness is obvious in your RDB photo. I’m most interested in what you found worked best for the width.[/quote]

lots and lots of volume. A typical back day could look like:
-straight arm pulldowns: 4x20
-t-bar rows: 5x10
-NG lat pulldown: 4x12
-Meadows “stretchers”: 3x12
-WG partial pulldowns (emphasis on stretchhhhh): 2x8
-chest supported rows: 3x10
-DB shrugs: 3x12 (hold squeeze for 3 sec)
-Rack pulls: ramp up sets of 6 (usually 4 or 5 sets)

Now that I’m cutting however, a day might look like:
-straight arm pulldowns: 4x20
-single arm T-bar Rows: 4x12
-iso lateral HS pulldowns: 3x12
-chest-supported rows: 3x10
-DB shrugs
-deadlifts: 4x6
-good mornings: 3x15

As I lean out, I realize I need to really bring out my erectors more, hence the DLs AND GMs on back day.

you should start cycling

[/quote]

I can interpret this in 3 different ways…lol.

I mean you should start injecting anabolic androgenic steroids into your body

Thanks. End hijack.

Good luck with the cutting, and the finding a photographer and agent, and all that jazz.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
Another at I’m guessing 10%: [photo]29260[/photo][/quote]

I don’t know but that looks a tad leaner than 10% to me… those older pictures look like they had better lighting, too.

but anyways, that definitely reinforces the idea of you shooting for 190ish and seeing how you look. You’ve obviously got a lot more mass now.

Keep us posted and keep up the good work - this is very interesting.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
Another at I’m guessing 10%: [photo]29260[/photo][/quote]

If you’re going to model you’re gonna need to wax that chest hair and get a tan

:slight_smile:

I mean you should start injecting anabolic androgenic steroids into your body[/quote]

L.O.L.!

[quote]gregron wrote:

If you’re going to model you’re gonna need to wax that chest hair and get a tan

:)[/quote]

…sigh

I mean you should start injecting anabolic androgenic steroids into your body[/quote]

meh

After looking at you leaner pictures, I am wondering if there is a reason you want to do fitness modeling specifically. If you get back to that level maybe a little leaner you may have a better chance of finding “regular” modeling work. If you do a search for male fitness models you will see that they are not small.

I am taller and weigh 160-165 LBS single digit BF%. A lot of the guys at some shoots I have been to have a similar body type perhaps 10 LBS lighter.

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:
After looking at you leaner pictures, I am wondering if there is a reason you want to do fitness modeling specifically. If you get back to that level maybe a little leaner you may have a better chance of finding “regular” modeling work. If you do a search for male fitness models you will see that they are not small.

I am taller and weigh 160-165 LBS single digit BF%. A lot of the guys at some shoots I have been to have a similar body type perhaps 10 LBS lighter.

[/quote]

those pics are two years old. I’ll be 180-190 this time around. I’m not sure where you’re going with this. 185 at 5’10" is alot different that 6’ 150-160. I’m confused.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

meh[/quote]

it’s not for everyone.

question: how old are you?

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]DanielDJ wrote:
Unless you have cut in the past, no one can predict what you would look like if you lose 10 pounds.
[/quote]

Does this help? This was about 2 years ago. Bodyweight 170, and I’d guess around 12% bodyfat?? It was at that time I stop cutting because I realized I wasn’t big enough and spent a good 16 months gaining size. [/quote]

Nice gains. Doesn’t seem like you have trouble losing fat in the abs region so that’s good. Ideally you want to send in pics at a condition a bit leaner than your 10% pic. Doubt you would be that lean at 200. You should see what you look like at 190.

• IMO don’t get caught up with numbers, cut down to desired leanness that you’re happy with and then hire a photographer.