Fitness Goals

[quote]DeepSouth wrote:
sasquatch wrote:
Deep

Again, I would say these numbers again are based on strength athletes, not base strength for an average man. Not even an average lifter. this would be for someone who is SUPPOSED to be strong, like a football player.

I mean, how would someone who could squat 1.5x BW be considered POOR.

These numbers would definately put you in the upper 10-20% of strength

I said TAKE IT FOR WHAT ITS WORTH.
Yes…for Athletes! SPEED_STRENGTH ATHLETES! Not the sissy down the street. You want to measure yourself against Joe Shmoe…Go right ahead.

1.5xBW for Squat BELOW PARALLEL is a minimum strength level before doing Plyometrics (Depth Jumps, Drop Jumps, etc.) That would be considered Poor under this guys criteria…but that is a MIMIMUM strength level.
[/quote]

Deep

Take a breath fool. If you can read, my whole discussion has been about a base level for the average man. I would agree some here at this site are above that.
I was trying to get someone, anyone who may have that information to reply. I don’t need some idiotic numbers like you wasted 10 minutes typing to know I am well above average in strenggth compared to the average of the general population.
In fact in my case–you’re Joe Schmoe!
And you’re wrong. You don’t need to be able to squat 1.5xBW to be able to do plyometrics. But just keep reading those books. Regurgitate the info and you’ll actually convince the 148lb’ers you know what you’re talking about.

I just came across a line in a book about wrestling technique. In a section on conditioning, the author states that one man in 20,000 can military press his own bodyweight (that’s .005 percent). This is anecdotal – the author doesn’t have a reference – but it sounds plausible. The stats are probably similar for 1.5xBW bench press, 2xBW squat, 2.5xBW deadlift.

On further thought, these are probably tougher standards than the push-up, chin-up, and running goals I listed. Again, though, it all depends on the individual.

I would really appreciate any advice people can offer on why my deadlifts are so far off. Here’s where I am today (145 pounds, 5’6"):

Bench: 1.5 x BW
Pullup: 1.5 x BW
Squat 3x BW
Dead 1.7x BW

Why am I killing the squat goal, but so far below the dead goal? Does it suggest a muscle imbalance? Or should the goals be different for someone my size?

forlife, how deep are you squatting?

This week I was doing a set of 5 squats at 3xBW, but not to full parallel, probably 65%. Should I be worried about my deads?

[quote]sasquatch wrote:
Deep

Take a breath fool. If you can read, my whole discussion has been about a base level for the average man. I would agree some here at this site are above that.
I was trying to get someone, anyone who may have that information to reply. I don’t need some idiotic numbers like you wasted 10 minutes typing to know I am well above average in strenggth compared to the average of the general population.
In fact in my case–you’re Joe Schmoe!
And you’re wrong. You don’t need to be able to squat 1.5xBW to be able to do plyometrics. But just keep reading those books. Regurgitate the info and you’ll actually convince the 148lb’ers you know what you’re talking about.[/quote]

I’m sorry…Obviously what I posted musty have hit a nerve. But, I didn’t realize this was YOUR thread, and about YOUR fitness goals. Maybe you should start your own post! Do you even know what plyometrics are? If you can’t Squat 1.5x Body Weight…how can you handle the instant impact training of 9 X your body weight? Most Olympic Level Coaches like to see 2xBW versus 1.5 anyway, so I guess I was wrong. Yes, some do plyometrics and see improvements without any minumum level of strength…but they hit plateaus and or injury real quick.

Forlife,
As far as Deadlifting compared to the Squat, maybe you should post a video so others can critique. For some, training Squat or Deadlift has little carry over to the other. For some (especially those who aren’t a natural Deadlifter) the only way to improve the Deadlift…is to Deadlift.

Why would you come on here and ask for some good fitness goals and then complain when someone provides them?

[quote]forlife wrote:
This week I was doing a set of 5 squats at 3xBW, but not to full parallel, probably 65%. Should I be worried about my deads?[/quote]

My thought on this is if you are not doing full squats then your squat numbers will look artificialy high compared to your deadlift numbers.

It is hard to cheat on deadlifts, but it is easy to cheat on squats.

Take this with a grain of salt because I have not seen you squat.

Thanks for the feedback. Maybe my deads aren’t so far behind squats, given what you say about it being easier to cheat form on squats.

After doing deads on Friday, I think it is grip strength that is killing me right now. At higher weights, it is my grip that gives, more than being unable to lift the weight with my legs/back.

I’ll keep working on deads and hopefully be able to reach the 2.5 x BW goal!