T Nation

Fist/Knuckle, Fingers Out or Fingers In

hi I’m a heavy computer user and I have a winging

for some time now I’ve been doing a lot of pushups to do something about the winging

apart from a normal pushupas i.e. palms at chest level, fingers pointing straight - I’ve tried to do some other types (if I can cal them like that)

namely:

is there any difference in muscle work between them ? specially in activating the serratus muscle - cause what I’ve understood from all these rehab articles, serratus is the key to fix winging

which “type” of pushups is the best choice ?

thanks

Push up plus is my favorite for serratus weakness and scap winging. You can google them.

I know “Push up plus” but it still doesn’t answers my question.

So, Which of these three above helps with winging the most?
Which one enlarges the problem?
And which one doesn’t do anything to help with the winging?

I’m asking because I don’t want to sabotage myself by doing something that hurts and not help

thanks again

[quote]Jack Black wrote:
I know “Push up plus” but it still doesn’t answers my question.

So, Which of these three above helps with winging the most?
Which one enlarges the problem?
And which one doesn’t do anything to help with the winging?

I’m asking because I don’t want to sabotage myself by doing something that hurts and not help

thanks again
[/quote]

I’m going to not answer your question again but throw you my opinion instead, if you care. None of the pushups are going to fix whatever is going on with your scapulae. You did say you don’t want to sabotage yourself, so I will say this, working on a computer a lot is not going to do wonders for your posture. This statement is broad, and perhaps you maintain a great posture while sitting or standing at the computer of whatever. But I’ve seen enough people in that situation, who have rolled in shoulders, forward head carriage, and many other posture imbalances heading in the direction of something like upper cross syndrome. Serratus could be your problem, maybe not. Its more of a complete picture than just that one muscle. So not to leave you hanging, it’s probably best to find a good chiropractor, physical therapist or similar to help you figure out whats up. If you are determined to do this on your own, start considering your posture, and go from there.

close grip cable rows, face pull rows. foam rolling. sitting up straight. (and push up plus as has already been mentioned. )

Ok I’ll try to rephrase my question
I know all these exercises, I do all these exercises
All I’m asking is this:

Witch way of doing pushups (of the three above) is the most beneficial for someone with scapula winging ?

Thanks again

none of the above.

ok, If non of the above - than witch way would be beneficial ? can I ask for a link or name (if there is any)?

Please, can You at least explain why “non of the above”?

I mean, for example, articles on T-Nation suggest state that neutral grip is the safest for shoulders - so shouldn’t fist/knuckle pushups be safest to?

And on the other hand, Coach Nick Tumminello shows the Perfect way to do pushups

I’m asking and asking cause I simply don’t know any more how a proper pushup should look like

I’m not trying to be rude, but If I am, sorry

I just want a solid answer, something that really holds water, not just do this and this because I say so

I hope you can understand my intentions

Yeah i think Nick T’s pushups are the best, but i’m no expert (but nick T is). Try them and see how you feel.

i said none of the above because I thought you were asking which would fix winging, and i don’t think pushups will fix winging. but of the three i would go with Nick T. like i said i’m not an expert. if you want more information on shoulder health look up Eric Cressey on this website and he also has his own website.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
If you have scap winging, what makes you think that doing pushups will do anything but build upon your pre-existing dysfunction?

That would be like saying ‘I round my back when I squat, so I’m going to do lots more squatting’.

I’m not trying to be facetious, trust me. I’m curious as to why you think a relatively complex issue can be fixed with such a simple exercise and no mention of any other therapy or treatment or rehab.

Also, since scap winging is likely to be caused by (either entirely caused by or as a major contributory factor) a tight pec minor, don’t you think that lots of pressups might exacerbate the condition?

BBB[/quote]

For starters this article ==> http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/everything_pushups

in particular this piece:

As well as this article ==> http://fitnessblackbook.com/strength-training/are-push-ups-necessary-if-you-have-access-to-free-weights/

I know that I need other exercises too but now I’m asking only about the pushups, and I’m asking because I keep reading It’s important for the shoulder stability and trains well all importent “shoulder muscles”.

besides the above informations I’ve also looked up a multiple scapula winging test - Did them all - and in my opinion my winging is caused mainly by the serratus weakness and so that is the direction I took

I did have some pec minor tightness due to a lots and lots of pullups and chinups but I’ve stopped doing them and no longer feel like there is something pulling mu shoulders internally

as for the pushups - I’m focusing on the elevated feet pushups (legs on 45 cm high bed) - some pushups done on floor

I’m not a PT, I’ve a master in history, but I try to base all my actions on logical informations, and from all the articles I’ve came across my actions - i.e. exercise decisions, that is what to do and what not to do - where/are correct

If I’m wrong, Please tell me which assumptions are wrong and why, I would love to understand what and why should I do something

THX

Do you have any interest in seeing a Chiropractor, Physical Therapist or someone similar to give you some direction? Because I honestly think at this point, you have been given sound advice based on the limited amount of information you have given. If you are dead set on continuing to ask about push ups, when multiple people have said they don’t think that a push up is going to help your problem, you need to look further, maybe to an expert to give you some hands on help.

i vote for scapula push-ups. which are more of a rowing like motion, really. lolz.

Lol when i see someone with a head forward posture i almost know for certain that they spend time in front of some kind of tv or computer screen in thier day to day activities.

I would know because i am one of them.