Fist Bumps: Am I the Only One?

Ah yes the fist bump invented by the manicants who have no grip strengh due to their excersising their “cores”. It’s funny when people go to fist bump me I have to resist the urge to pound them in the temple

I wasn’t quite sure what fist bumping was. I thought this thread might describe some sort of perversion. You can imagine my disappointment.

[quote]Boxer666 wrote:
its the thought that counts to me, a fist bump means the same thing as a handshake. and it’s faster and there is no one guy squeezing harder than the other to make it awkward. its actually more efficient when you think about it. thats like when a Spanish speaker says de nada… its different but it still means thank you. i am surprised at how self conscious you are… you care what people think if they see you give the equivalent of a handshake? the difference has nothing to do with intelligence, it is merely cultural.

[/quote]

“Gracias” means thank you. “De nada” means you’re welcome.

i think a hand shake is appropriate for a introduction or amongst certain social environments
…but just saying whats up to a fella at the gym or a buddy you see often enough …fist bumps all the way

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
who finds “pounding it” where you bump fists with another person as a hello, goodbye or whatever, to be totally retarded? what happened to old fashioned hand shakes?[/quote]

I still shake hands all the time. Sometimes I shake and give a one-handed hug. It all depends. However, the fist bump will never get old for me and a few friends.

I dont fist pump but I do sometimes do the forearm bump if I am carrying something or if my hands are wet, etc.

I only do the fist bump with crew members but it has to do with “hit and explode”. Now before your mind rams head first into the gutter, it means when your oar hits the water and you explode with your legs.

Everyone else gets a hand shake.

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
I wasn’t quite sure what fist bumping was. I thought this thread might describe some sort of perversion. You can imagine my disappointment.[/quote]

LOL, Thought that too. Rainjack described my take on it. I do think about germs though especially during flu season.

I think I’m just going to start patting everyone on the ass

It depends on the people really. You have to know your audience. Hand shakes just won’t do in some circles and vice-versa.

[quote]Padilla7921 wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:
who finds “pounding it” where you bump fists with another person as a hello, goodbye or whatever, to be totally retarded? what happened to old fashioned hand shakes?

I still shake hands all the time. Sometimes I shake and give a one-handed hug. It all depends. However, the fist bump will never get old for me and a few friends.[/quote]

So, let’s get this straight. You fist bump AND wear a bandana?

I’m a hand shake guy. I just don’t like this quasi yo bro look at me I’m cool and street white guy polo shirt behavior.

I’m a 44 year old white guy and I shake hands. funny story about hand shakes, I took something for my wife to her new job. She introduced me to everyone, including her office manager. He shook my hand a little hard and made this weird face like he was trying to be a big boy or something. I asked my wife later if he had a syndrome or something, hahahah!

now she had told me stories about how this fella seems a little socially retarded. I thought about him when I read about this fist bump stuff. He’s is the kind of guy who’ll try them out just to show, “he’s one of the guys!”, hahahahah!

Everytime me and one of my boys see eachother we great eachother with an immediate hand chop to the jugular… If it has been a while one quick jab stright to the face.

Everyone else, simply a hand shake… You have to earn your blows

[quote]SouthernGypsy wrote:
A while back, I was hanging out with one of my buddies, and when I left I put my hand out to shake and he put his out to do the pound thing. It ended up being weird, so I called him a fucking asshole.[/quote]

Then you end up switching to the pound while your friend switches to a handshake and he ends up shaking your fist, lol. Been there, done that.

breakzilla,

we can hug it out bitch if you got a problem puts down banjo and chew if you’re comin on then come on!

‘High Fives’ ala Top Gun anyone?

“I feel the need…the need for speed!”

A couple of close friends and I do that to attract attention when we’re drinking publicly. Stupid yes, ghey perhaps, but aren’t most “inside jokes”?

Another random effect I’ve kept accidentally is the bow. Anyone live in asia for a while and got used to bowing all the time? I did and sometimes when I shake hands I bow at the same time. total force of habit. People get thrown of because I’m obviously not looking them in the face (customary in north america). then sometimes I apologize for my silly bow and inadvertently bow again because thats what got ingrained in japan.

My buddy in the military accidentally salutes people all the time. Especially at the grocery store and the BJJ gym.

At least when I pound I don’t do some silly bows. But It depends on your company at the time id say. situationally each is fine in its own world. If I want frat boys to spend their parents cash on training with me them I hit the pound. makes them think im cool )im not).

-chris

[quote]Reef wrote:
Then you end up switching to the pound while your friend switches to a handshake and he ends up shaking your fist, lol. Been there, done that.[/quote]

I’m totally incompetent when it comes to the pounds and other complicated greetings. I just shake hands.

Anyone else notice how many guys have weak ass handshakes now?

Old guys know how to do it.

Younger guys do some pathetic semi-slapping hands limp wristed bitch handshake.

I lose respect for them almost immediately, and it’s nearly gauranteed that I’ll mouth off to them at some point in the night after that.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Anyone else notice how many guys have weak ass handshakes now?

Old guys know how to do it.

Younger guys do some pathetic semi-slapping hands limp wristed bitch handshake.

I lose respect for them almost immediately, and it’s nearly gauranteed that I’ll mouth off to them at some point in the night after that. [/quote]

My dad actually taught me how to shake hands like a regular person. Not to hard, especially with a gal, but firm. I’m 44 btw and I’d agree with you.

It seems like fellows under thirty haven’t been taught a lot of important stuff. Important things like how to handle your liquor, grill a steak or burger or lobster, fix stuff or people. I’m better with people but can do the basic fix it stuff.

It’s just the modern world. they’re to worried about how to buy the right ripped jeans or some silly ass hair cut when they should learn something about whiskey and meat.