Fish Oils Bad??

Hi all,

just got this off Mercola’s site :

"It is critical to take a high-quality full-spectrum vitamin E every time you take fish oil to protect yourself from potential lipid peroxidation (which is toxic to every cell in the body)[ix]. The amounts and form of vitamin E in commercially available fish oils are NOT sufficient to guard against potential lipid peroxidation within the body. "

so if i dont take my fish oil with the E then i’m in for some harm???

Yup. This info has been around for a while. If you’re looking for Vit E supplement, NOW foods has one called Advanced Gamma. It’s pretty loaded with everything, not just one type of vitamin E.

[quote]Tungsten wrote:
Yup. This info has been around for a while. If you’re looking for Vit E supplement, NOW foods has one called Advanced Gamma. It’s pretty loaded with everything, not just one type of vitamin E.[/quote]

Mercola says the problem is when the oil oxidizes and goes rancid in your body. So he recommends antioxidants, but I was wondering why wouldn’t drinking green tea work?

[quote]
Mercola says the problem is when the oil oxidizes and goes rancid in your body. So he recommends antioxidants, but I was wondering why wouldn’t drinking green tea work? [/quote]

To protect the fish oil from oxidizing you need a fat soluble antioxidant like vitamin E or fat soluble vit C (ascorbyl palmitate)

[quote]Tungsten wrote:
Yup. This info has been around for a while. If you’re looking for Vit E supplement, NOW foods has one called Advanced Gamma. It’s pretty loaded with everything, not just one type of vitamin E.[/quote]

So how can I tell if a vitamin E supplement loaded with all forms of vit E instead of just one type???

[quote]dinodino wrote:
Tungsten wrote:
Yup. This info has been around for a while. If you’re looking for Vit E supplement, NOW foods has one called Advanced Gamma. It’s pretty loaded with everything, not just one type of vitamin E.

So how can I tell if a vitamin E supplement loaded with all forms of vit E instead of just one type???[/quote]

There are very few that contain SIGNIFICANT amounts of the non-alpha tocopherols. If the amount of other tocopherols is not listed explicidly on the label then assume there are no significant amounts present. If you have a “mixed tocopherol” that does not explicity list amounts try calling the company and asking how much of each tocopherol is present. They will either honestly tell you that they do not know, or will say it is a trade secret and can’t tell you.

[quote]dinodino wrote:
Tungsten wrote:

So how can I tell if a vitamin E supplement loaded with all forms of vit E instead of just one type???[/quote]

There aren’t really that many of them on market. Nows Foods and Carlson’s are the two brands that i know of. here’s the link to Now Foods Advanced Gamma- you should have better idea of what it contains - http://www.nowfoods.com/?action=itemdetail&item_id=12531

[quote]Tungsten wrote:
dinodino wrote:
Tungsten wrote:

So how can I tell if a vitamin E supplement loaded with all forms of vit E instead of just one type???

There aren’t really that many of them on market. Nows Foods and Carlson’s are the two brands that i know of. here’s the link to Now Foods Advanced Gamma- you should have better idea of what it contains - http://www.nowfoods.com/?action=itemdetail&item_id=12531[/quote]

So I would be taking this vitamin E everytime I take the fishoil???

just a bit confused since it offers near 400IU of natural d-alpha tocopherol while the other supplement that Mercola recommended had about 8IU per capsule (so sale around 120 for 15 caps).

http://www.mercola.com/forms/livingfuel_omega-3_e.htm

Thanks for the info, just need a bit of guidance for dosage.

Tungsten,

AOR, Thorne and carotec also make them.

mercola also says that you can get cancer from carrying around your automatic car door opener, that’s on your key chain. Frankly, I think he’s just a tad off the deep end. That isn’t to say that all of his informaion is bad. Before, I did anything on his word however I would get it cross checked with at least two other unrelated sources

Don’t you guys think that if this was true Berardi would have mentioned it and made it a staple supplement? I don’t recall every reading anything by him that suggested a necessary amount of vitamin E while taking fish oils.
Does anyone?

I also doubt that all of the people who have been naturally benefitting from fish oil through their diet - i.e. people who actually eat fish instead of the supplements - take vitamin E with each fish meal. Unless fish is naturally very high in varying forms of vitamin E…is it?

Hey All,

I think you should take a look at www.drdavesbest.com

Dr. Dave Woynarowski is a straight shooter and will give a straight answer about fish oil and vitamin E if you ask.
It may not be what you expect but it will be factual and direct.

A good deal of research has shown great benefits of fish oil. But researchers use high-quality pharmaceutical grade fish oil. If you take cheap fish oil that is already oxidized or partially oxidized, you’re not going to get any of the health benefits. A characteristic of oxidation is a “fishy” taste and smell. (And, by the way, the same goes for “fresh” (or canned) fish: when it smells fishy, it’s at least partially spoiled or oxidized.) The high-quality fish oil I use has absolutely zero fishy taste or smell. I’d have a hard time distinguishing it from, say, sunflower oil.

On the other hand, a variety of antioxidants are important. Damaging free radicals are produced not only from “bad” things like oxidized fats, but also from exercise, sunlight, and mitochondrial energy production. Different antioxidants neutralize different free radicals in different tissues. The best one can do is to eat an antioxidant-rich diet with a large variety of antioxidant sources, and take high-quality supplements of specific antioxidants that the research indicates are beneficial, such as natural vitamin E including all its forms.

[quote]andersons wrote:
A good deal of research has shown great benefits of fish oil. But researchers use high-quality pharmaceutical grade fish oil. If you take cheap fish oil that is already oxidized or partially oxidized, you’re not going to get any of the health benefits. A characteristic of oxidation is a “fishy” taste and smell. (And, by the way, the same goes for “fresh” (or canned) fish: when it smells fishy, it’s at least partially spoiled or oxidized.) The high-quality fish oil I use has absolutely zero fishy taste or smell. I’d have a hard time distinguishing it from, say, sunflower oil.

On the other hand, a variety of antioxidants are important. Damaging free radicals are produced not only from “bad” things like oxidized fats, but also from exercise, sunlight, and mitochondrial energy production. Different antioxidants neutralize different free radicals in different tissues. The best one can do is to eat an antioxidant-rich diet with a large variety of antioxidant sources, and take high-quality supplements of specific antioxidants that the research indicates are beneficial, such as natural vitamin E including all its forms. [/quote]

so any brands considered this “high quality” grade???

[quote]dinodino wrote:
so any brands considered this “high quality” grade???[/quote]

Fish oil: Carlson’s The Very Finest Norwegian is the best I have found. Sears Omega Rx pharmaceutical grade is comparable, but MUCH more expensive. Five or six other brands I tried were all spoiled to some degree.

Antioxidants: Forward Plus is good. I’m about to try Life Extension Mix, which looks good, as well as one of their supplements with R-ALA.

Flax oil: Jarrow is the best I’ve tried.

Good post guys … I was just about to add Fish Oils to my diet and I did not know about the Vit E thing.

Thanks!

Goblin

just read the thread. popped open one of my carlson’s cod liver oils. yeah it was oxidized, dammit. haven’t found a better brand tho. im gonna stick with flax oil. what kinda dosages you guys use? ive used 30-70g a day and had great decreases in acne. just wondering if such high dosages can be bad…

NO! Fish Oils GOOD!

I am not sold on this fish oils smelling or tasting like fish makes it bad.

I am a fisherman and I can tell you that even a fish pulled right out of the water SMELLS like fish, taste like fish etc… You cant tell me that it oxidized in 2-3 seconds. Salmon being one that has quite a smell to it freah or other wise.

My thinking is to have it NOT smell like fish at all it would most likely have to be processed even further inoder to remove the taste/smell.

So for now I will continue my fish oils, flax meals and oil;s and all other fats just getting them all in moderatin and variety.

Just my 2cc
Phill