Fish Oil vs. Udo's Oil Blend

Never tried fish oil myself, but i am currently taking Udo’s oil blend. I was wondering if anyone else has taken this, and if there is a big difference between the two besides one is from fish and the other primarily plants?

I read somewhere that when producing fishoil they have to use a chemical to seperate the oil from the fish, which can potentially be bad for you. Has anyone else heard this?

[quote]schanz_05 wrote:
Never tried fish oil myself, but i am currently taking Udo’s oil blend. I was wondering if anyone else has taken this, and if there is a big difference between the two besides one is from fish and the other primarily plants?

I read somewhere that when producing fishoil they have to use a chemical to seperate the oil from the fish, which can potentially be bad for you. Has anyone else heard this?[/quote]

No, but I can tell you that I’ve come across reports that there are three times the phytoestrogens in flax as in an equivalent amount of soy. Like isoflavones in soy, the lignans in flax are potent phytoestrogens. Hence, if you fear soy (and you should), you should also fear flax at least as much. I would recommend getting your healthy oils from good quality fish oils and leave the plant-based stuff alone.

Hey schanz,
good morning. I have used Udos in the past, and it’s good stuff, I just don’t use it now because I get those additional oils from my diet, ie:almonds, avacado etc.

The difference is that Udos is a blend of Omega 3,6,and 9 oils, where as most of your fish oils are predominantly just the omega 3 type. Not all of them but most of them are like this.

The Omega 3 is the one that most people are low in, or could use more of, for inflammation, sore joints, etc from working out. They rule for keeping heart healthy and cardiovascular system working at tip top also.

Anyway, there’s more benefits to it but those are some…

Some here even mega dose it with mixed results, but most being positive.

Look in the search function under fish oil mega dosing and you will get some info on it. OR just look up fish oil benefits, and you will see difft. threads on the subject.

My own personal experience has been very postitive as far as muscle sprains recovering much faster,(delts in my case).

good luck there buddy.

i have also used udos in the past. It’s good stuff but i just cant afford it anymore. I use fish oil caps, safflower oil and olive oil now.

[quote]schanz_05 wrote:

I read somewhere that when producing fishoil they have to use a chemical to seperate the oil from the fish, which can potentially be bad for you. Has anyone else heard this?[/quote]

[quote]eic wrote:
schanz_05 wrote:

I read somewhere that when producing fishoil they have to use a chemical to seperate the oil from the fish, which can potentially be bad for you. Has anyone else heard this?

No, but I can tell you that I’ve come across reports that there are three times the phytoestrogens in flax as in an equivalent amount of soy. Like isoflavones in soy, the lignans in flax are potent phytoestrogens. Hence, if you fear soy (and you should), you should also fear flax at least as much. I would recommend getting your healthy oils from good quality fish oils and leave the plant-based stuff alone. [/quote]

wow! i had no idea. i’ll be throwing my flax oil away promptly. is it the same for fish?

[quote]texasguy wrote:
wow! i had no idea. i’ll be throwing my flax oil away promptly. is it the same for fish?
[/quote]

Are you asking whether the phytoestrogen concern is the same for fish? If so, the answer is no; the EFAs in fish do not come from isoflavones or lignans. The take home message is that flax, like soy, is a potent plant-based estrogen and should be avoided.