T Nation

Fish Oil & Vitamin A

when I suggested high doses of fish oil (2000 - 3000mg DHA and EPA) on another forum, I was instantly berated for the fact that I was poisening myself with vitamin A.

Is there any truth to this?

If your main source of EFA’s is Cod Liver Oil, that might theoretically be a problem.

i consume tons of veggies filled with vitamin A like spinach and carrots

according to your typical nutritionist my liver should have died years ago

To be honest, I think a lot of the RDA’s are totally bullshit and dont take into account what is optimal for you as compared to the bare minimum. Theirs a big difference between the amount of Vit C needed to prevent scurvy and the optimal amounts needed for strong immune function and optimal health.

[quote]cyph31 wrote:
i consume tons of veggies filled with vitamin A like spinach and carrots

according to your typical nutritionist my liver should have died years ago[/quote]

Vegetable/fruit source vitamin A is in the “pro” form so it is not yet truly vitamin A and must be converted by the body. It is not the same as the retinol (this is the form in animal organs/meat) format that can be potentially toxic in large amounts.

To the OP, most fish oils do not contain vitamin A only vitamin E which acts as a preservative. Unless you are using a liver oil…

thanks. i thought i was right.

someone said something along the lings of 3g of DHA being “too much” i didn’t realize you could have too much DHA and EPA.

even if my diet is super high in omega 3, ill take a swig of olive oil or raise my other fats to balance it

[quote]schultzie wrote:
thanks. i thought i was right.

someone said something along the lings of 3g of DHA being “too much” i didn’t realize you could have too much DHA and EPA.

even if my diet is super high in omega 3, ill take a swig of olive oil or raise my other fats to balance it[/quote]

What?!? 3 grams. I know I’ve read Berardi saying that 6-10 of EPA/DHA (not just fish oil) will improve the insulin sensitivity and whatnot. I specifically remember him making this distinction. I just can’t remember where. Do you know where you heard this?

ah yes that wonderful “recommended” daily intake of 2 grams for EPA+DHA, wouldn’t want that pesky public getting healthier now would we

i take about 10 grams EPA+DHA daily (30 grams total fish oil from pills) and i feel great, i would take even more but financially they are a big enough issue already