Fish Oil Use for Fat Loss

Hello all. I have been told by people that Flaxseed oil is just like Fish oil. Is this True? What are the differences. Pros/ Cons? Thanx

[quote]goldenarm25 wrote:
Hello all. I have been told by people that Flaxseed oil is just like Fish oil. Is this True? What are the differences. Pros/ Cons? Thanx[/quote]

Flaxseed oil is not just like fish oil. However the omega3s in the flaxseed can be converted to the DHAs and EPAs that one gets from fish oil.

[quote]bino wrote:
Madman2 wrote:
bino wrote:
talon2nr7588 wrote:
Each cap has 1g of fat so about 6-10 capsules spread out through the day?

No. You want 6-10 grams of Omega 3 fats, the good stuff. Many brands have 180mg EPA and 120mg DHA per cap. Together, thats 300mg of the good stuff per cap–so you’d need 20 caps to get the recommended 6 grams.

Note that the DHA/EPA ratio is heavily skewed towards EPA. This is where Flameout shines–it has more DHA than EPA, which some claim is good for us guys. In fact, I worked it out once, and I believe there is about the same amount of DHA in 4 Flameout caps as there are in 20 caps of most brands of fish oil.

That’s not entirely accurate. For instance the ones that I use have 600mg of other Omega 3 (the base ALA form) and 100 mg of other fats. Your label should be able to tell you that.

Also what was said early in the thread (especially with what I said according to John Berardi and fat loss), uses these kind of capsules, a generic 30% concentration, to get results.

I don’t get what you’re saying isn’t accurate.

Every single article I’ve read, when speaking in terms of how many grams of fish oil one should consume, is speaking of the EPA/DHA combo.

Eg, see today’s article.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1651364

From the article:

How to Apply This Stuff Today!

With all the health and emerging fat loss benefits of fish oil, you definitely want to start taking some today. Here’s how you can get started:

1. Find a brand that’s very pure and potent so you don’t burp fish or have to take a lot of capsules. Flameout is a great choice, especially because the study that shows an exercise/fish oil interact was using a DHA-rich fish oil like Flameout.

2. Take 2-3 grams of EPA/DHA per day. This is the lowest dosage I’d use to elicit a fat loss benefit. You may need to crank it up to 5 grams of EPA/DHA as the response can vary between individuals.

3. You can take the 2-3 grams at one time, but if you’re going to use a 5 gram dosage I’d split it up between morning and night.

4. Take your fish oil with food. If you take it in the morning, take it with food to reduce the chance that it’ll get oxidized as energy.

5. If you find that you do burp fish, keep your fish oil in the freezer. That’ll stop your fish burps!
    [/quote]

We’ve must have read different stuff then. To date with the exception of certain authors, it’s always been 6-10 grams of “generic” fish oil, not the EPA/DHA combination. Generic in this case is similar to what levels the original poster posted. And is the same levels that JB has posted in the past.

[quote]Madman2 wrote:
We’ve must have read different stuff then. To date with the exception of certain authors, it’s always been 6-10 grams of “generic” fish oil, not the EPA/DHA combination. Generic in this case is similar to what levels the original poster posted. And is the same levels that JB has posted in the past. [/quote]

I don’t want to beat a dead horse (kick a dead salmon?) but since JB’s advice seems to be your gold standard this is from the supplements portion of his website:

o3mega by Genuine Health
An enteric-coated (i.e., no fish burps) fish oil capsule standardized for 30% DHA+EPA, so you’ll need between 10 and 20 capsules to get 3-6 grams of DHA+EPA. Genuine Health also makes an extra strength version that has twice the concentration of DHA+EPA, which means you can take half the number of capsules can get the same effect.

www.johnberardi.com/articles/reviews/supplements.htm

JB isn’t my gold standard, and he has stated differently on this very site.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1579752&cr=

He says to “start with”… he may be matching the study amounts… and he may have changed his views as time has gone on.

So, really, do what you want, but realize that there are various respected views concerning EPA/DHA consumption levels for fat loss and as always your mileage may vary so adjust as needed.

[quote]Madman2 wrote:
Recommended dose: start with 6-10g per day of total fish oil (assuming 30% EPA and DHA).
[/quote]

So if you were to use Flameout and wanted to get around 3-5 grams a day…how many pills is that going to end up being?

I take 2 fish oil caps (costco brand) with each of my meals (8 meals) works for me

hi all,

I am using this product:
www.natrol.com/prodhearthealth/4510_extreme_omega_prodinfo/

and taking prescribed dose of 2 caps a day…should I need to increase it to 4 ??

also I have 1 question, how is Codliver oil diffrent from fish oil ? are they equally good coz they seems to be a lot cheaper…

[quote]nitecrawler wrote:
also I have 1 question, how is Codliver oil diffrent from fish oil ? are they equally good coz they seems to be a lot cheaper…[/quote]

Just do that math to see if you want to up your dose.

Anyway, Cod liver oil has high quantities of both vitamins A and D (at least the stuff I’ve seen does). As these are fat soluble vitamins you can accumulate them in your system, and yes, you can get too much of them.

If you are taking mega doses then something like Flameout, with precisely controlled ingredients, becomes more important so that you aren’t getting additional nutrients in unknown quantities.

So how many grams does 4 caps of Flameout give you and how many would you need to take to get 6 grams?

[quote]MMAniac wrote:
So how many grams does 4 caps of Flameout give you and how many would you need to take to get 6 grams?[/quote]

As far as DHA/EPA are concerned,
4 caps gives you:

DHA 2200mg
EPA 880mg

Total 3080mg

Basically take 8 caps if you want 6 grams.

[quote]vroom wrote:
He says to “start with”… he may be matching the study amounts… and he may have changed his views as time has gone on.

[/quote]

I realize that. I really wasn’t trying to argue that as much as trying to figure out what our descrepency was. I do know that a ton of mainstream people do recommend the 6-10 grams total. And they get their information from the same place as everyone else.

Thanks for the reply vroom,

The problem is I do not live in states and Flameout is not available where I live so I need to look for alternatives…

I was doing some research lately an found that

–>you need to take 1 vitamin E 400 unit supplement per day with fish oil as this will help to protect the fat from oxidation.
→ You can switch to Cod liver oil in winter as you wouldn’t be getting much Vitamin D at that time.
→ High dosage of Vitamin D could be really bad. and Vitamin D levels need to be tested before taking more than prescribed amount of cod liver oil.

So I feel only Fish oil would be good for me as I feel thee is quite a bit of sun in winter too.

[quote]vroom wrote:
nitecrawler wrote:
also I have 1 question, how is Codliver oil diffrent from fish oil ? are they equally good coz they seems to be a lot cheaper…

Just do that math to see if you want to up your dose.

Anyway, Cod liver oil has high quantities of both vitamins A and D (at least the stuff I’ve seen does). As these are fat soluble vitamins you can accumulate them in your system, and yes, you can get too much of them.

If you are taking mega doses then something like Flameout, with precisely controlled ingredients, becomes more important so that you aren’t getting additional nutrients in unknown quantities.[/quote]

What is a good ratio of fish oil grams/ Vitamin e? 5-1?

Hey all, was wondering if anyone could point out benefits of DHA Vs EPA ? I currently take Olympian Labs Liquid Omega 3 Fish oils in which the EPA content is higher than that of the DHA (850mg/tsp of EPA Vs. 550/tsp of EPA).

In Biotest Flameout the DHA Content is greater then the EPA ! (2200mg/serv. Vs. 880/serv.) Is there a difference or benefit? is DHA more beneficial than EPA? Thanks

[quote]mattnxtc wrote:
What is a good ratio of fish oil grams/ Vitamin e? 5-1?[/quote]

A lot of people go with 400 I.U. Vitamin E for every 10 grams of fish oil. I know Charles Poliquin recommends it and I’ve seen several others have as well.

[quote]mrmartinelli wrote:
Hey all, was wondering if anyone could point out benefits of DHA Vs EPA ? I currently take Olympian Labs Liquid Omega 3 Fish oils in which the EPA content is higher than that of the DHA (850mg/tsp of EPA Vs. 550/tsp of EPA).

In Biotest Flameout the DHA Content is greater then the EPA ! (2200mg/serv. Vs. 880/serv.) Is there a difference or benefit? is DHA more beneficial than EPA? Thanks[/quote]

Charles Poliquin’s Question of Strength, December column (scroll down to the fifth topic) :
http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1371812&cr=

Mike Rousell’s new article:
http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1651364&cr=

There are so many benefits to each one. I mean they are ESSENTIAL Fatty Acids. That means we need them to survive, but we can’t make them on our own. We have to consume them in some way and need both.

In short don’t stress over which you take. You may have better effects from the Flameout, you may not. Just look for something that is highly concentrated (higher EPA/DHA content) so you are less likely to take in to many toxins. Plus you won’t have to take as many pills or as much liquid to get enough for benificial effects.

Killer link Madman, the poliquin article discussing fish oil was a big influence in my fish oil consumption…I like the caveman reference…i see more research on DHA, than EPA and i will most likelly make the switch to Flameout when its back in stock. thanks for the input,
-M