T Nation

Fish Oil Use for Fat Loss

i just bought two bottles od gnc’s fish oil

gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=
2284599&cp=2108442&sr=1&origkw=fish
+oil&parentPage=family

what dosage should i take, on the bottle it says 1 capsule 3 times daily. i’m cutting right now. it has 180 mg EPA, 120 mg DHA, 23 mg GLA. i’m 5’6" 19 yrs. and @ 165lbs. got a good amount of fat on me about 15-18%(guess)

6 to 10 grams a day will help with the fat loss. I know that John Berardi (as well as some of the other authors) have talked about it activating lypolytic genes at those dosages. That means take at least double dose.

[quote]Madman2 wrote:
6 to 10 grams a day will help with the fat loss. I know that John Berardi (as well as some of the other authors) have talked about it activating lypolytic genes at those dosages. That means take at least double dose.[/quote]

Each cap has 1g of fat so about 6-10 capsules spread out through the day?

No need to take it with breakfast. Also search Flameout , the facts & recommendations associated with that carryover…

It is fine to take with breakfast too maybe just 1 cap at breakfast, 2 midday and 3 at night.

Read the Flameout article, is a good product.

Fish oil is the NUMBER ONE supplement.

I have the exact same product. For me personally, I think 6 caps a day is optimal. I don’t ingest any in the morning, I believe becuase the fat will be used for energy more then recovery. Having said that, on off days I have 2 at lunch, 2 an hour after training and 2 at night.

On OFF days I just have 4 with lunch and 2 at night.

This works for me, let me know how it works for you.

[quote]talon2nr7588 wrote:
Madman2 wrote:
6 to 10 grams a day will help with the fat loss. I know that John Berardi (as well as some of the other authors) have talked about it activating lypolytic genes at those dosages. That means take at least double dose.

Each cap has 1g of fat so about 6-10 capsules spread out through the day?[/quote]

Correct.

[quote]talon2nr7588 wrote:
Madman2 wrote:
6 to 10 grams a day will help with the fat loss. I know that John Berardi (as well as some of the other authors) have talked about it activating lypolytic genes at those dosages. That means take at least double dose.

Each cap has 1g of fat so about 6-10 capsules spread out through the day?[/quote]

The cool thing with fish oil, and fats in general, is that it doesnt matter when you take them(kind of…more on this later), they get absorbed into the body just the same.

In your situation, I would take 2 with every meal (upwards of 12 a day), because this lowers the glycemic load of the meal (to my understanding). Not a huge amount, but its a cool “side effect”

Also, you really should check out Flameout, its about 400% more potent, and it contains some other goodies inside of it that regular oil doesnt have. at 3 caps a day (about equal to 12 “regular” caps) its lasts a month (about 22 days at the recommended 4 caps a day).

Even if thats all you order from the store, I recommend just getting 150 bucks worth and put it all in the fridge to save on shipping. You will use it all eventually anyway.

Well i’ve been taking them 3 at a time with meals, upwards of about 15 a day. should i store them in the fridge?

Yes, store them in the fridge. They’ll go a little bit longer before they “spoil”.

Guys, how long before the caps spoil? I take some of my supplements with me to work and I don’t have access to refrigeration all the time. Can the caps be unrefrigerated for 4-5 hrs?
Thanks

[quote]Brody wrote:
Guys, how long before the caps spoil? I take some of my supplements with me to work and I don’t have access to refrigeration all the time. Can the caps be unrefrigerated for 4-5 hrs?
Thanks[/quote]

Yes that’s fine. They’ll just stick together a little bit.

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
Brody wrote:
Guys, how long before the caps spoil? I take some of my supplements with me to work and I don’t have access to refrigeration all the time. Can the caps be unrefrigerated for 4-5 hrs?
Thanks

Yes that’s fine. They’ll just stick together a little bit.
[/quote]

I would also recommend using a smaller bottle and putting in only what you’re going to use in that time. An old ZMA bottle or a small Tylenol bottle (with the label removed of course) would fit the bill perfectly.

[quote]talon2nr7588 wrote:
Each cap has 1g of fat so about 6-10 capsules spread out through the day?[/quote]

No. You want 6-10 grams of Omega 3 fats, the good stuff. Many brands have 180mg EPA and 120mg DHA per cap. Together, thats 300mg of the good stuff per cap–so you’d need 20 caps to get the recommended 6 grams.

Note that the DHA/EPA ratio is heavily skewed towards EPA. This is where Flameout shines–it has more DHA than EPA, which some claim is good for us guys. In fact, I worked it out once, and I believe there is about the same amount of DHA in 4 Flameout caps as there are in 20 caps of most brands of fish oil.

I like to take mid day with a meal and before bed with a shake. (The fat slows down the digestion for protein while you sleep) And as for the dose depends on your weight and if your bulking or cutting. More to bulk, less to cut.

should i spread them out evenly throught the day? i’m cutting right know from 165 lbs.

[quote]talon2nr7588 wrote:
should i spread them out evenly throught the day? i’m cutting right know from 165 lbs. [/quote]

It’s preferable to spread them out. I don’t think it’s a huge deal though. If you’re sticking with regular fish oil caps, I’d break them up into 2 or 3 servings a day with food.

I take 3 of the 1000 fish oil, six times a day with meals, and have nothing but good to say about it. Please read what Coach Poliquin has to say about Fish Oil.

[quote]bino wrote:
talon2nr7588 wrote:
Each cap has 1g of fat so about 6-10 capsules spread out through the day?

No. You want 6-10 grams of Omega 3 fats, the good stuff. Many brands have 180mg EPA and 120mg DHA per cap. Together, thats 300mg of the good stuff per cap–so you’d need 20 caps to get the recommended 6 grams.

Note that the DHA/EPA ratio is heavily skewed towards EPA. This is where Flameout shines–it has more DHA than EPA, which some claim is good for us guys. In fact, I worked it out once, and I believe there is about the same amount of DHA in 4 Flameout caps as there are in 20 caps of most brands of fish oil.

[/quote]

That’s not entirely accurate. For instance the ones that I use have 600mg of other Omega 3 (the base ALA form) and 100 mg of other fats. Your label should be able to tell you that.

Also what was said early in the thread (especially with what I said according to John Berardi and fat loss), uses these kind of capsules, a generic 30% concentration, to get results.

[quote]Madman2 wrote:
bino wrote:
talon2nr7588 wrote:
Each cap has 1g of fat so about 6-10 capsules spread out through the day?

No. You want 6-10 grams of Omega 3 fats, the good stuff. Many brands have 180mg EPA and 120mg DHA per cap. Together, thats 300mg of the good stuff per cap–so you’d need 20 caps to get the recommended 6 grams.

Note that the DHA/EPA ratio is heavily skewed towards EPA. This is where Flameout shines–it has more DHA than EPA, which some claim is good for us guys. In fact, I worked it out once, and I believe there is about the same amount of DHA in 4 Flameout caps as there are in 20 caps of most brands of fish oil.

That’s not entirely accurate. For instance the ones that I use have 600mg of other Omega 3 (the base ALA form) and 100 mg of other fats. Your label should be able to tell you that.

Also what was said early in the thread (especially with what I said according to John Berardi and fat loss), uses these kind of capsules, a generic 30% concentration, to get results.
[/quote]
I don’t get what you’re saying isn’t accurate.

Every single article I’ve read, when speaking in terms of how many grams of fish oil one should consume, is speaking of the EPA/DHA combo.

Eg, see today’s article.

From the article:

How to Apply This Stuff Today!

With all the health and emerging fat loss benefits of fish oil, you definitely want to start taking some today. Here’s how you can get started:

  1. Find a brand that’s very pure and potent so you don’t burp fish or have to take a lot of capsules. Flameout is a great choice, especially because the study that shows an exercise/fish oil interact was using a DHA-rich fish oil like Flameout.

  2. Take 2-3 grams of EPA/DHA per day. This is the lowest dosage I’d use to elicit a fat loss benefit. You may need to crank it up to 5 grams of EPA/DHA as the response can vary between individuals.

  3. You can take the 2-3 grams at one time, but if you’re going to use a 5 gram dosage I’d split it up between morning and night.

  4. Take your fish oil with food. If you take it in the morning, take it with food to reduce the chance that it’ll get oxidized as energy.

  5. If you find that you do burp fish, keep your fish oil in the freezer. That’ll stop your fish burps!