Fish Oil Recommendations

ANy recommendations based on weight or sex.Obviously diet places a role but does anyone have an article or paper  which discusses this?

Use Carlson’s, T-Nation’s, Dr. Ron’s or any other comparable quality brand…

Consume with a quality saturated fat (preferably high vitamin butter oil, but eggs, cheese, bacon, etc. will work)…

Take recommended serving size or less to begin and then tweak as you please…

If you receive a lot of sun exposure, then stay away from cod liver oil during summer months and switch to standard fish oil. Then in the winter months, switch back to cod liver oil…

Take with a meal. I know some say that it doesn’t matter if taken on an empty stomach or with a meal. However, in my observations, you won’t burp it up for hours afterward…

Resources:
*www.westonaprice.org (go to the cod liver oil icon)
*Some of Poliquin’s more recent articles that dive into nutrition.
*Mary Enig’s books and articles
*Select historical references that describe fish oils use for the last couple thousand years or more.
*Basic knowledge on nutrition is necessary when looking at what is in fish oil and why that would be beneficial.

Daily recommended amounts will depend on how much omega 6 you take in. Depending on who you talk to, that ratio (n6/n3)will be anywhere from 2:1 to 5:1. So depending on your macro’s , but for agrument sake lets say you are on a 3000 cal diet and 25% from fat, then your total fat would be 750 cals or 83g’s of total fat.

Again depending on who you talk to the breakdown of the fats is generally a 1:1:1 ratio of mono/poly/sat. saying that about 28g should be omega’s on a daily basis. So if you go with a 5:1 ratio about 5 to 6000mgs should be omega 3. IMO.

Basically you need to find out how much fat from omega 6 sources your consuming.

What about just consuming an adequate amount of Omega 3’s independent of the ratio. Some of the recent research that I am aware of has argued that as long as you attain a baseline level of Omega 3’s, the implications of being in a 2:1, 5:1… ratio of n6:n3 becomes less meaningful. Thoughts?

[quote]canadiansprint wrote:
What about just consuming an adequate amount of Omega 3’s independent of the ratio. Some of the recent research that I am aware of has argued that as long as you attain a baseline level of Omega 3’s, the implications of being in a 2:1, 5:1… ratio of n6:n3 becomes less meaningful. Thoughts? [/quote]

That helps considering where the average ratio is today. Better to have a plan, don’t you think, instead of just winging it?

I am certainly not proposing that we be careless in this regard at all. Rather, if we make the effort to consume an adequate amount of Omega 3’s (through food and/or pill form) then we can take reassurance that we are meeting our need. The implications of this are pretty straight forward for those who have invested an interest in the food that they are consuming.

Eat clean and take your fish oils (6-12g/day). I think these simple guidelines are enough for adequate baseline levels of Omega 3. The ratio should be less of a worry. Why don’t we approach the issue from this perspective, instead of constantly worrying about an ideal ratio that is constantly changing on a day-to-day basis anyway?

[quote]canadiansprint wrote:

That helps considering where the average ratio is today. Better to have a plan, don’t you think, instead of just winging it?

I am certainly not proposing that we be careless in this regard at all. Rather, if we make the effort to consume an adequate amount of Omega 3’s (through food and/or pill form) then we can take reassurance that we are meeting our need. The implications of this are pretty straight forward for those who have invested an interest in the food that they are consuming.

Eat clean and take your fish oils (6-12g/day). I think these simple guidelines are enough for adequate baseline levels of Omega 3. The ratio should be less of a worry. Why don’t we approach the issue from this perspective, instead of constantly worrying about an ideal ratio that is constantly changing on a day-to-day basis anyway?
[/quote]

What can I say to that? If you feel that’s all you have to do, then I’m sure you’ll be better off than the people who don’t.

Eating clean can’t account for the wrong poly’s though, and that’s sort of the point. Grass fed beef has a natural n6/n3 profile of a 2:1 ratio where most supermarket beef is grain fed with a profile of 15:1.

Also consuming any refined oils like corn, soy, canola blah, blah, blah will have similar profiles. I was only mentioning taking a proactive account in the diet to find out how this balance can be improved, correctly.

After figuring out your food on this level you don’t have to monitor it every day. But your right any fish oil is better than none.