Fish Oil on Heavy Carb Days?

Hi all,

this has probably been asked before but my searches didnt reveal much.

When carb cycling many advise to keep fats as low as possible on carb heavy days…does this include fish oil?

I normally take 20 caps a day and have stopped on my carb heavy days.

I read somewhere that each cap is 1g of fat, and I try to stay below 50g of fat on a heavy carb day.

I know there is no ‘answer’. I was just wondering what others do?

On a carb cycle or a refeed cycle type diet, if your carbs are high (this is a relative term, but ya kno) I wouldn’t take fish oil. Keep fats as low as possible, you can afford to miss a day of fish oil. I believe I’ve read once, Justin Harris recommending to hold off on the fish oil for the day.

ooh, interesting question. I would think that you need a little more than 1g of fat to really slow digestion to any real noticable end. I will admit to not taking my fish oils PWO, but that’s probably just me overthinking and being overly cautious. If you’re really concerned, lower your dosing, or space your intake out so that you pop em a little while after each meal.

S

I dont see a problem with it.

I could be wrong, but in the presence of raised insulin, isn’t dietary fat more likely to be stored as body fat?

[quote]esk221 wrote:
I could be wrong, but in the presence of raised insulin, isn’t dietary fat more likely to be stored as body fat? [/quote]

Yes, except it isn’t that simple, because fat, esp fish oil, will cause less of an insulin response. Even though there might be a right answer to the OP’s question, my guess is that it doesn’t make much of a difference whether or not fish oil is taken with high carb meals. For the little it’s worth, I try to take 3g with every meal, except PWO.

Good point, a trivial amount of healthy fat won’t hurt.

[quote]esk221 wrote:
I could be wrong, but in the presence of raised insulin, isn’t dietary fat more likely to be stored as body fat? [/quote]

you are wrong.

fat stores itself just fine with zero insulin present. (google Acylation-Stimulating Protein to see how)

to the OP: 20g of fish oil is too much anyways. overdoing fish oil can have negative effects. 6-10g will give you enough of the active ingredient to maximize fish oils benefits (not to mention it’s easier on the wallet)

[quote]JMoUCF87 wrote:
esk221 wrote:
I could be wrong, but in the presence of raised insulin, isn’t dietary fat more likely to be stored as body fat?

you are wrong.

fat stores itself just fine with zero insulin present. (google Acylation-Stimulating Protein to see how)
[/quote]

Cool, thanks man.

i mean

its fish oil

its good for you.

old people take fish oil

why would you NOT take it every day?

honestly…if the only fat you had in a day was fish oil, i really don’t think that would stop anyone from achieving their body goals.

HOLY FUCK 20 capsules a day? How much do you spend on fish oil alone each month?

[quote]JLu wrote:
HOLY FUCK 20 capsules a day? How much do you spend on fish oil alone each month?[/quote]

Never read much Poliquin or CT have you? :slight_smile:

You will always get some trace fats from your foods. I got the picture that on high carb days you keep your fats as low as possible (goes for the fish oil too). If you have 1-2 high carb days a week, you’d still get your fish oil 5-6 days a week. Then again, that’s just my view!